Tail light is out, brake light still works? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Tail light is out, brake light still works?

Fuses are all good, is the running light a seperate bulb, I checked the service manual and didn't find much info.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

The tail light has two separate dual filament bulbs in the stock housing. It would be unusual to have the running light filament on both bulbs out at the same time while the brake light is still functional. I have 60K on the '03 and have replaced the tail light bulbs 3 times............twice for the right and once for the left one.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Princeps Prior

You have 2 bulbs in the stock tail light. Each bulb has 2 filaments. Visually check them. If you can't tell, try changing them out. Or if you have a multimeter, check for continuity.

if that doesn't work, then it could be more involved. But lets keep it simple right now

post #4 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Princeps Prior

He probably has had 1 out for a while, never noticed and now the second running filament is dead

post #5 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Thanks guys, I knew someone would know what was up.

I'll check the bulb, hopefully it's that I'll just pick up a couple and replace them all.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #6 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Should be one bulb. Ceck current at the plug, if good do what I did and replace the socket it's self.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

I checked the connections in the tail, I did have it off the other day putting in the grab handle covers. Connections seemed good.

So 919dave, you had an issue with the bulb socket?

You guys are saying there a two bulbs, each with two filaments, one for brake and one for tail illumination on both correct?

***EDIT- Well one of the filaments in one bulb I can see is broken, the outermost one (closest to me) the one on the other side I can't tell. The filaments in the back of the bulb are thicker and seem OK, I'm guessing these are the brake light.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #8 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 PM
The Cripple

yes, both bulbs have 2 filaments. One filament is for running light, other is for brake. Same set up as most automotive brake lights. You most likely have a bulb burned out. Remember, k.i.s.s principle. Replace the bulb (I think it is 9011?) before assuming anything else.

post #9 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Thanks a lot guys, another fun fact on the 919 from the crew at WT

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #10 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

the w/g wire on the bike side connector should show voltage. check it with a multi meter. Also, do you have a lisence plate light? it is fed from the same line of the power system.

Arte et Marte
post #11 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

also the front turn signals should be on withe the system. if either of the front marker, rear marker or lisence light is on, the fuse is good. I find it hard to believe both rear bulbs has one broken filament. Suspect the connector!

Arte et Marte
post #12 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Yeah I followed KISS. My shift side bulb went out completley. Replaced both bulbs and it worked for a day. I checked the fuse (even though the other one was fine) and of course it was good. I pulled the fuse and put a new one in just incase and it worked for a day. Multimeter show power was good all the way back. Now it was time to scratch the head and say "WTF man?" Then I said fuck it and ordered two new sockets. Been fine ever sence then. The socket was easy to replace too, I spent more time getting the tail off then to replace the sockets. They were just a quarter turn. Also I put back in the original bulbs and they worked great along with the original fuse. In the end my conclusion was it had to be the conection on the socket side that was the cuase. Been over a year now with no issues.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

I pulled both bulbs and I can see, believe it or not, that the smaller filaments on both are broken. My license plate light is on, and I'm almost positive my front turn signals were on with the system.

It must be what boogunnogun said, one burnt out, I didn't notice, then the other eventually burned out. I wouldn't have noticed that, a cager yelled to me at a stop light. I pulled over thinking my brake light was out as well, didn't want another rear ending situation.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #14 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
one burnt out, I didn't notice, then the other eventually burned out.
This is very possible. also check the bulb sockets for any corrosion when you replace with new ones .

Arte et Marte

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode