Swapping swingarm and sidemounts. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

Swapping swingarm and sidemounts.

I've had the powdercoated side mounts. The mounts at the center of the bike that the engine and swing-arm connect to. And I have a powdercoated swing-arm on the way.

I was planning on taking off one side mount, then taking off the swing-arm, then installing swing-arm, install missing side mount, then replace the other side mount. I may be mistaken, but I figured if I took both mounts off off at the same time, then the engine may fall or shift.

Is this a correct assumption? Do you have any other tips/tricks to swapping this stuff out without damage?

Thanks in advance!

-Josh

p.s. yes I have a show manual, but I wanted to get you guys' input before I refer to it.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The side plates bolt only to the frame and swingarm pivot bolt, not the engine. Nothing will move when the side plates are removed.

When reassembling, I recommend inserting the swingarm axle from the right side rather than the left: it makes chain maintenance considerably easier when all you need to do is remove the swingarm axle bolt, the two 10mm bolts holding the left side frame plate, run the rear wheel all the way forward, and the hugger if you want to remove the chain for cleaning or replacement. Nothing else needs to be removed (No, not even the shift linkage -- the entire assembly including the footpeg bracket just drops to the ground.), but if you are riveting the new chain master link on the bench and are running 112 links it may be necessary to remove the countershaft sprocket to install the chain.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

That's very helpful Rob.
I was banking on being able to switch out these parts and keep my chain in tact, is that not possible?

2007 Honda 919.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

I'm watching this video posted by Goog (I never know how to type his name properly) and it's looking helpful so far:
Honda 919 Powdercoating Round 1 - YouTube

2007 Honda 919.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Haha, should have just asked! I just took the swingarm off the other day. FYI, it will ship tomorrow...

Yes, you can leave the chain on the front sprocket while doing this. The tricky part is supporting your bike. I use an A-frame ladder, and tie-downs under the rear frame just behind the gas tank. The method I used in the video works as well, but is not as easy to set up. I also put the front on a front stand (I didn't have one when I did the first video).

And a disclaimer for the video - I don't think the Silicone spray will hurt paint

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Ginger-prick

I figured you had a bunch of pm's to sift through, so I didn't want to muddy the waters.
I have a removable center stand I plan to use. And I have cherry pickets and car lifts if any of those will help in the job.

2007 Honda 919.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode