suspension set screw seems to be stuck. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

suspension set screw seems to be stuck.

I wanted to start playing with the fork settings and what looks like an adjuster and set screw turn at the same time.

I'm I correct in assuming the screw at the top of the forks is two parts, the 14mm one is the adjuster and the blade screw is the set screw for locking it down?

They don't want to turn independent.

Also, is there a basic starting position? Like turn clockwise until it bottoms out, then back out 2 turns?

I am able to turn them both at the same time, is that the way it's supposed to work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2015, 06:14 PM
GLG-20

Garage
The screw is for setting your rebound damping; it is not a set screw. The screw should turn independently of the 14mm preload adjuster when setting your rebound, though it will turn with the preload adjuster when adjusting preload (fixed position with respect to the preload adjuster). Your rebound screw is either set full in or full out, and is jammed. It should never be stuck like that.

Someone else will have to chime in on the stock setting, but your logic is correct. You turn it all of the way in (clockwise), lightly seating it, then back it out to set it. I'd say 1 to 1.5 turns out.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
The screw is for setting your rebound damping; it is not a set screw. The screw should turn independently of the 14mm preload adjuster when setting your rebound, though it will turn with the preload adjuster when adjusting preload (fixed position with respect to the preload adjuster). Your rebound screw is either set full in or full out, and is jammed. It should never be stuck like that.

Someone else will have to chime in on the stock setting, but your logic is correct. You turn it all of the way in (clockwise), lightly seating it, then back it out to set it. I'd say 1 to 1.5 turns out.
Ok, that's what I thought. Maybe a few drops of oil down there and a slight tap with a hammer will loosen it up a bit, or maybe it's set all the way down and got stuck there.

I wonder if I caused this problem... Maybe I assumed it was a set screw and used it as such. Wouldn't be the 1st time I screwed things up

post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2015, 05:59 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

When you turn the outside adjuster (the one with the flats for a 14mm wrench) the inner one does spin, but you should also be able to loosen the inner "screw" that has a slot for a flathead separately... If you tried to use it as a set screw you may have mashed it into the seat that it seals on and it may be stuck... Either way, if you put any sort of torque on it its very likely that you damaged the seat and your damping will probably be messed up

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ok, both of them were stuck all the way out (counter-clockwise). I got them loose and it looks like the range is just over 2.5 turns.

I put them 1.5 turns in, so I'll see how that works.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 04:54 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Ok, both of them were stuck all the way out (counter-clockwise). I got them loose and it looks like the range is just over 2.5 turns. I put them 1.5 turns in, so I'll see how that works.
measure them from all the way in... Not sure if your forks have ever been apart, but it's easy to get them a little misaligned. Turn the rebound adjuster (the inner screw) all the way in until it stops, but don't force it, and then count backwards from there. I'm pretty sure I messed up mine a little when I had them apart last time so one gets ~2.5 turns and one gets closer to ~3.5, but if I use the seat as the starting point the damping will be equal

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #7 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Just got back from a quick ride, not really a full test ride, but I could tell there's a positive difference...

I guess it helps to read the book and understand how things work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode