Suspension questions - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 3 Old 08-12-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Suspension questions

A couple years a go I picked up an older SV650 for dirt cheap to use as a dedicated track bike. I've spent the last couple seasons pushing the pace to the point where I now need to seriously consider suspension work.

The bike as it sits has USD forks (from an early GSXR with axial brakes) and Ohlins shock and the whole bike sprung for a 200# rider (or so the PO has told me). When I bought the bike I got springs to set up the squishy bits at 170#, but I haven't confirmed spring #s so take that with a grain of salt. I weigh about 175# in my birthday suit, so ~185# with all my gear on and whatnot.

I've got a guy locally that will respring and refresh my suspension for just under $600... which is a little more than I want to dump into a bike I only paid $2k for. So I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck here.

So here is my question.... If I can't get the bike sprung for my ideal weight, is it better to have it set up for a heavier or lighter rider? How would one try to compensate for that with the suspension settings?

[This space for rent]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-12-2017, 07:29 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
A couple years a go I picked up an older SV650 for dirt cheap to use as a dedicated track bike. I've spent the last couple seasons pushing the pace to the point where I now need to seriously consider suspension work.

The bike as it sits has USD forks (from an early GSXR with axial brakes) and Ohlins shock and the whole bike sprung for a 200# rider (or so the PO has told me). When I bought the bike I got springs to set up the squishy bits at 170#, but I haven't confirmed spring #s so take that with a grain of salt. I weigh about 175# in my birthday suit, so ~185# with all my gear on and whatnot.

I've got a guy locally that will respring and refresh my suspension for just under $600... which is a little more than I want to dump into a bike I only paid $2k for. So I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck here.

So here is my question.... If I can't get the bike sprung for my ideal weight, is it better to have it set up for a heavier or lighter rider? How would one try to compensate for that with the suspension settings?
From what I have read and heard, thatís a great bike for track days!

The GSXR forks and triples?
Assuming so, surely that setup will give you more trail and a bit more weight on the front wheel.
Typically that is a track use bonus, as long as you have enough leverage should the increase in trail be great.
Suggested is a Traxxion low speed compression needle, cheap, and easy to install.
Way better than the stock needle, far better tuneability.
Hopefully the front and rear springs have markings that can be read so you can find out for sure what they are.
Ditto the loose replacement ones you have.
Have that info handy and in mind when you get to 3 below.
Assumed is more oil level than the factory manual calls for.

You have an SV with a GSXR front end and an Ohlins rear shock.
Look what you saved, not how low $$ you paid for what the bike is.
Best bang for your bike is what needs to be done, not want, but need.
Make sure the front end and rear shock are in good condition, if not- remedy it.
Get springs that work for you/the bike/the track/the tires.
SVs are so scienced out now, something is wrong if someone truly in the know canít correctly tell you exactly what to have in the front and on the rear.
Surely some SV dedicated or heavy website can offer info.
Look for magazine articles re project builds of an SV.
Talk to some fast SV riders at the track.
Not knowing the entire scope of work, $ 600 sounds a bit high if itís no parts other than oil and you are giving him the springs. Perhaps I have misunderstood.

ALWAYS gamble on the softer side if you donít know for sure what to use.
Surely you can get correct springs.
See 3 above.
Past that are the following guidelines, but they are not absolutes and ďmore springĒ refers to rates and/or preload :
-heavier rider = more spring.
-faster rider = more spring.
-sticky tires = more spring.
- very well set up chassis and suspension = more spring rate.
- smooth grippy track = more spring.
-dry only riding = more spring.
- unlinked flattish swingarms with poor squat/anti-squat relationship = more spring.
See the inverses of the above list re opposite conditions.
Keep in mind that a track only front end will typically be set up with reduced internal preload, say 5 Ė 10 mm.
I think your Ohlins has a built in topout spring, and surely it has length adjustment. Nice haves!!
crakerjac and badmoon692008 like this.

post #3 of 3 Old 08-12-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
$600 is drop my bike off and supply the springs I have. Oil, seals, damper rod, etc, is covered in that price along with initial setup.

Part of me would rather take that money and put it towards a CBR600RR or similar, but I don't know how much longer I will be able to continue track days with 2 kids.

[This space for rent]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode