McTavish

Suggested initial settings for 919 suspensions

Re stock 04+ suspension components.

Rear
Preload Position #4.
Rebound screw set midpoint.
Tire pressure 35.

Front
Set your ride height adjusters mid way. (everyone else calls them preload adjusters, but in terms of the particulars of the 919 fork, they are truly ride height adjusters within the band of operational fork stroke)
Tire pressure 32.
Begin with the rebound screws 1.5 turns backed out from a very gently arrived at lightly fully closed off and seated.
Ride it that way.
Do repeat rides of the same route, preferably with some bumps and some mid level front braking so you have a good feel as what that 1.5 feels like overall.

If you want, next try 1/8 of a turn less, in other words turn in by 1/8 turn.
(NEVER firm it up more than 1/8 of a turn at a time!)
Do your standardized route and observe.
Try to sense in particular the loss of a sort of undulating compliance that stems from too slow a rebound stroke.
If the front end gets what I call a "wooden" feel, then the rebound is way too firm.
If you want to try less than 1-3/8ths turns out, start using 1/16th turn increments.
High quality nominal 10 weight oil assumed (to match what Showa specifies to use), my guess is that one will end up somewhere between 1-3/8ths and 1.5 turns out from fully closed off.

Re stock pre 04 suspension components.
Rear
Preload setting # 1 or 2. (given that the rear spring is at least 30% stiffer than 04+)
There is no rebound adjuster.

Front
There is no ride height adjustment (a.k.a. “preload”).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
McTavish

Above refined and supplemented as originally arising from KarlJay's recent OMG new tires = new bike thread.
I kept it to purely external adjustments.

Also, matching document created and placed in the drop box.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post

Front
Set your ride height adjusters mid way. (everyone else calls them preload adjusters, but in terms of the particulars of the 919 fork, they are truly ride height adjusters within the band of operational fork stroke)
Thanks.
Can you be a little more precise than "mid way"? Like how many rings/grooves should be showing. Or is it really not that critical?

post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierccg View Post
Thanks.
Can you be a little more precise than "mid way"? Like how many rings/grooves should be showing. Or is it really not that critical?
3 "rings' showing above the top flange of the blue fork cap.
Which also means that 4 of the machined marker grooves will be visible, the 4th one being coincident with the top flange of the blue fork cap.

It's not what can seriously be described as critical.

But keep in mind that there will be a noticeable difference between the two extremes of fully screwed in or fully backed out - even more so with stiffer aftermarket springs.

post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2019, 03:15 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post

Rear
Preload Position #4.
Rebound screw set midpoint.
Tire pressure 35.

Front
Tire pressure 32.
Begin with the rebound screws 1.5 turns backed out from a very gently arrived at lightly fully closed off and seated.
Ride it that way.
Do repeat rides of the same route, preferably with some bumps and some mid level front braking so you have a good feel as what that 1.5 feels like overall.

If you want, next try 1/8 of a turn less, in other words turn in by 1/8 turn.
(NEVER firm it up more than 1/8 of a turn at a time!)
Do your standardized route and observe.
Try to sense in particular the loss of a sort of undulating compliance that stems from too slow a rebound stroke.
If the front end gets what I call a "wooden" feel, then the rebound is way too firm.
If you want to try less than 1-3/8ths turns out, start using 1/16th turn increments.
High quality nominal 10 weight oil assumed (to match what Showa specifies to use), my guess is that one will end up somewhere between 1-3/8ths and 1.5 turns out from fully closed off.

Re stock pre 04 suspension components.
Rear
Preload setting # 1 or 2. (given that the rear spring is at least 30% stiffer than 04+)

Front
There is no ride height adjustment (a.k.a. “preload”).
More ultra helpful and much appreciated contribution, comrade!

Just briefly...what tools do I need to adjust the front and rear? I have not touched the suspension at all since getting the 919 early last year! It seems something I could adjust and its free.

Also..my tyre mechanic advised me 36f 42r!

post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-2019, 09:39 AM
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Suspension settings that work for me....not that anyone asked

Hey all. Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Been riding my 2007 919 for 12 years. I've had the bike's suspension set up much firmer and noticeably more harsh than what I'll describe here. Had enough of the harsh, and feel my current settings for me are a great compromise between comfort and control.

Your results may vary due to: your weight, riding style, character of the roads you commonly ride, desired comfort, and bike mods if any.

For comparison purposes: my weight 165lb; I enjoy riding what I would call a mixture of quickly thru the curves and usually 5 over otherwise, not track level; my rides are usually state highways, little interstate; and, I want a ride that doesn't literally beat me up (see my Sargent seat post). The bike is stock, with its original equipment.

Front Suspension:
Spring preload: 3 lines showing, just short of the 4th line showing. 13mm of "cylinder" showing above the blue fork nut to the cylinder shoulder. This results in the *damping* marks appearing upside down when seated on the bike. This is slightly more preload or harder than stock.
Rebound Damping: The indicator dot set to the factory setting or arrow, per the owner's manual

Rear Suspension:
Rear Suspension Preload: Shock spring set to the 2nd scallop, ie: the standard position.
Rear Suspension Damping: Midway between the S & H, which is slightly more or harder damping than stock.

I tried to use the same verbiage as much as possible to match what's used in the owner's manual.

Scientific? No, there are some excellent links in the forum regarding sag and other aspects of suspension setup. Check them out.

This is more a quick and dirty to hopefully get you in the neighborhood.

Good luck, and have fun out there!

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

For rebound I think it varies massively based on tempurature, fork oil weight and age. My rear shock has 53k on it and in order to get to a proper rebound setting on a 90 degree track day, it's at full hard. 2 years ago and 20k miles in the same conditions, I was a full turn out to get the same level of damping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #8 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Absolutely.
Temperatures, lubricant used in the front forks , the number of miles on the components, and the character of the miles can all factor in. Especially challenging if the bike is purchased used and little is known about it's use history.

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode