Stuttering 919 at low rpms after spark plug change - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Stuttering 919 at low rpms after spark plug change

Hey all,
I've been going through the bike and doing maintenance in preparation for my 6-week tour starting Sunday. Chain and sprocket change was a little while ago, oil and coolant change yesterday, and spark plug change last night.

Plug #3 was quite the beast for me to get to! The Honda toolkit spark plug wrench was a great help. Put in the new NGKs, tightened them gently, and put the coils back in (though I struggled greatly getting the #3 coil back into place, and the rubber is a bit roughed up). She fired right up and each pipe got warm, and I went to bed thinking all was well.

Today, though, I went for a 100-mile ride to test it all out, and noticed a distinct new stutter occasionally occurring at low rpms--around 1500 to 1800 or so. Smooths out at higher revs. Sounds to my ear like that fuel-starved stutter, but it continued when I filled her up. What methodology ought I use to troubleshoot? Have I pinched a fuel hose, perhaps, or is likely to be something I've done'wrong with the spark plugs?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

did you check the gap on the plugs before you put them in?

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #3 of 27 Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Yep, all gapped correctly between .8 and .9mm.

post #4 of 27 Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Did you pull the coils off the frame? everything plugged back in correctly? I forgot to plug one of my coils back in when I did mine.

Dan

Dan
post #5 of 27 Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

I'll double-check that, but pretty sure I clicked all four caps into the plugs and rebolted the coil on the left side.

I've ordered a new #3 cap to replace the one that was roughed up in reinstalling, just in case.

The old plugs looked pretty good to my eye, too...uniform tan color.

post #6 of 27 Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Double check the coil trigger wires. Not the ones that run to the plugs, but the other smaller gauge wires. Make sure they are pushed onto the spade connectors well.

You didn't drop any of the new spark plugs did you? That can easily happen when installing, and can cause small cracks in the ceramic which will leak current.

Also, double check the plug wires where they enter the coils at. With all the bending and moving it's easy to get one of those in a bind.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 27 Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

I got back in there today, pulled all the new plugs and gapped them again and checked the ceramic on the plugs; all good; seated them a bit more firmly this time. Jim, thanks for the coil trigger wire suggestion. I pressed each spade connector in firmly, and found no broken wires.

When I pulled the plugs, however, about an inch of the lower rubber section on the rubber plug cap (where it attaches to the spark plug) tore off due to my manhandling. I clicked the cap on anyway and rode around for a short time--still get the stutter. Oy.

No washing or water. No pinched fuel lines.

I'm hoping that a new #3 cap and wire will solve the problem at this point.

post #8 of 27 Old 07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I know its a pain but maybe put the good old plugs back in and see what happens? Unless you weren't being careful with them when you pulled them out.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #9 of 27 Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

True dat--it's worth a try. I'm going to open 'er up again when the new cap and #3 wire arrive, and if I still get the splutter, I'm just going back to the old plugs. After all, Rob T's lasted him, what, 47,000 miles? 10,000 should be no prob on mine!

post #10 of 27 Old 07-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

When there is a problem with a spark plug there is usually one of two manifestations -- a dead cylinder or a high load misfire. This is, of course, assuming the engine was running acceptably before the change.

#1 rule in situations like this: if you do something and a problem appears then one thing you did caused it. This is not necessarily the object of your labours (changing spark plugs), but may be as simple as a pinched fuel return line causing overpressurization at idle and a rich condition, or a vacuum hose with a small tear or cut leaning out one hole.

The point is if you fall victim to tatget fixation in a situation like this it can make solving it nearly impossible, so go over everything you did in your mind and inspect everything under the tank even if you didn't come anywhere near it while changing the plugs. I'm willing to bet you'll find the problem fairly quickly.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #11 of 27 Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #12 of 27 Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

errr gremlins

post #13 of 27 Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
When there is a problem with a spark plug there is usually one of two manifestations -- a dead cylinder or a high load misfire. This is, of course, assuming the engine was running acceptably before the change.

#1 rule in situations like this: if you do something and a problem appears then one thing you did caused it. This is not necessarily the object of your labours (changing spark plugs), but may be as simple as a pinched fuel return line causing overpressurization at idle and a rich condition, or a vacuum hose with a small tear or cut leaning out one hole.

The point is if you fall victim to tatget fixation in a situation like this it can make solving it nearly impossible, so go over everything you did in your mind and inspect everything under the tank even if you didn't come anywhere near it while changing the plugs. I'm willing to bet you'll find the problem fairly quickly.

Rob
IT'S FIXED.

Rob and others, thanks for your help and ideas. I went back through everything I've done recently and eliminated variables. I carefully checked for any pinched or broken wires or pulled-out connectors, as well as torn or pinched fuel and vacuum lines. The air cleaner I cleaned and re-oiled a couple of weeks ago, but I checked it just to make sure.

I ended up getting a new #3 coil wire and cap, as well as a new set of plugs. I put them in earlier today, fired her up and she growls better and more solidly than ever. Woo hoo, I'm ready to go on my trip!

post #14 of 27 Old 07-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
IT'S FIXED.

Rob and others, thanks for your help and ideas. I went back through everything I've done recently and eliminated variables. I carefully checked for any pinched or broken wires or pulled-out connectors, as well as torn or pinched fuel and vacuum lines. The air cleaner I cleaned and re-oiled a couple of weeks ago, but I checked it just to make sure.

I ended up getting a new #3 coil wire and cap, as well as a new set of plugs. I put them in earlier today, fired her up and she growls better and more solidly than ever. Woo hoo, I'm ready to go on my trip!
congrats... that #3 plug is insane without the proper honda tool....... which is the best 7$ i think i ever spent....

be careful on your trip..

post #15 of 27 Old 07-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Good going!

Have a great trip.

post #16 of 27 Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
IT'S FIXED.
Awesome! Have a great trip!

post #17 of 27 Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Goodonya.
Go forth and travel, have fun

Dan

Dan
post #18 of 27 Old 07-31-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Travel's been great so far! With the cleaned air filter and the new spark plugs (probably the increased tire pressure to preserve tire longevity, too) I've been getting great mileage--in the 45 mpg range.

Took the 919 up Lolo Pass in Idaho (Hwy 12) to Missoula, MT this morning! Lovely road next to the Lochsa River with an endless series of high-speed sweepers, most with great sightlines, for 77 miles solid. In Missoula now. Bliss!

post #19 of 27 Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase

I love Idaho Hwy. 12 : Lewiston to the Lolo Pass. That stretch can permanently embed some great memories and visions in the mind. A super choice.

Hitting Missoula means making a decision: 93 South along the Bitterroots, 93 North towards Glacier, or I-90 to make some miles. What did you do?

(Have your Satos begun to rant a little bit yet?)

Be safe!

post #20 of 27 Old 08-01-2009, 09:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Travel's been great so far! With the cleaned air filter and the new spark plugs (probably the increased tire pressure to preserve tire longevity, too) I've been getting great mileage--in the 45 mpg range.

Took the 919 up Lolo Pass in Idaho (Hwy 12) to Missoula, MT this morning! Lovely road next to the Lochsa River with an endless series of high-speed sweepers, most with great sightlines, for 77 miles solid. In Missoula now. Bliss!
I've heard Idaho is just beautiful, I so want to visit on a bike one day. Hope you're taking pictures.

post #21 of 27 Old 08-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Ride on! Glad you got it sorted out.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #22 of 27 Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Who, me?

Having same problem after spark plug change, pairs plates, and carbon canister removal. Guess I need to go back through it all. Can't say I want to, but I guess I will...
Thanks for all the advice.

Contact me for AMSOIL products!

www.rmbsynthetics.com

If it ain't broke, keep fixing it 'till it is...
post #23 of 27 Old 09-19-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

hope you were able to find and correct the problem. As for me, I took 93 up through Glacier National Park, and rode Going to the Sun road. And then onward, all the way to the east coast, then down the spine of the Appalachians, and back across the continent.

post #24 of 27 Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase

Quote:
hope you were able to find and correct the problem. As for me, I took 93 up through Glacier National Park, and rode Going to the Sun road. And then onward, all the way to the east coast, then down the spine of the Appalachians, and back across the continent.
Knowing your excellent writing abilities, I'm hoping a trip report is forthcoming.

SOON!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #25 of 27 Old 10-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Who, me?

FINALLY! After waiting a month for a plug wire and boot, its fixed! Ordered a whole set of wires and boots, only got #2 wire and all the boots. Used the new #2 for #3, and its all better. Love this group!

www.rmbsynthetics.com

post #26 of 27 Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
congrats... that #3 plug is insane without the proper honda tool....... which is the best 7$ i think i ever spent....
anyone have a link for this tool?

I just cracked 28k, bought the bike at 21k, and have never pulled the plugs to have a look.

Don't steal! The government hates competition.
post #27 of 27 Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtdgov View Post
anyone have a link for this tool?

I just cracked 28k, bought the bike at 21k, and have never pulled the plugs to have a look.
Don't know a part#. Mine came with one in the little tool kit. But you do need it to get #3 out.

www.rmbsynthetics.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode