strange new noise - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Nineophile Retired

strange new noise

The patient is an '07 919 with 6500 miles. Three days ago, I went out to the garage and started my bike like always. As I had my morning coffee waiting for it to warm up, I noticed a very faint low pitched grumble. I moved around the bike trying to pinpoint it. It seems loudest on the left side, down around the starter motor. I tried to slightly open the throttle to see if the grumble sped up or went away, but the normal engine sound overwhelms it. I did notice that actuating the clutch completely silences the noise. The bike drives fine, but this grumble is definitely new. I don't feel it is parts vibrating, it sounds internal. Anyone have any ideas what this could be???? I may try to get a sound clip from it tonight on my I-phone to post.

Thanks for reading!

Putting the fun in dysfunctional for over 40 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 06:19 AM
Cornicen

Yo! You said it stops making the noise when you pull in the clutch lever, right? Maybe you have a couple plates that are sticking. Does it shift ok otherwise? Previous owner may have cooled it a little doing some hard riding, and now they're a little glazed.

Guys?

post #3 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojudo
Yo! You said it stops making the noise when you pull in the clutch lever, right? Maybe you have a couple plates that are sticking. Does it shift ok otherwise? Previous owner may have cooled it a little doing some hard riding, and now they're a little glazed.

Guys?
"cooked" the clutch, that is...

post #4 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Nineophile Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojudo View Post
Does it shift ok otherwise?
Thanks for the reply Moto,
I haven't noticed it shifting differently. It doesn't always want to hit 2nd from 1st, but the posts I have read here suggest that is typical on this bike.

post #5 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Cornicen

Np!

Yep, that's for sure! Mine has always done it: Gotta be positive with the upshift!

post #6 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 AM
The Cripple

Highly doubt the clutch is "cooked" as there are other members on this forum that have tracked/dragged their 919's with zero problems via clutch.

I did notice you saying that you warm up your bike, I suggest you not do this anymore. Its a modern engine with fuel injection and warming-up is not needed. Fire up the thing, hop on, and ride it. Take it easy until the coolant temp starts to climb and from there you're set.

As to the new noise, it's most likely the clutch plates unsticking at an uneven pace during the warm-up process. When the bike isn't running, all the oil drains to the bottom (which is normal) and the clutch starts to stick together. The cure? Most likely, don't have the engine warm up for long. Also, it'll help to actuate the clutch early on to get oil cycling through after start up.

As to the 1-2 shift, Its operator error, every time lol. Gotta force yourself to be positive on those upshifts.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Cornicen

I agree, I've never had any problems with clutch, but you never know how someone maintained the bike or what was done to it previously.

As far as not warming it up, it should have nothing to do with being fuel-injected, but everything to do with letting the oil get moving. Sure you don't need 5 minutes of idle or anything, but a min or two while you throw on a helmet/etc absolutely shouldn't bother it.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 10:38 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
As far as not warming it up, it should have nothing to do with being fuel-injected, but everything to do with letting the oil get moving. Sure you don't need 5 minutes of idle or anything, but a min or two while you throw on a helmet/etc absolutely shouldn't bother it.
You missed my point. But yes, warming up has everything to do with fuel injection, as well as modern engines. Carbed bikes had to be warmed up to a point in order to hold an idle stable, fuel injection does not. Also, if you re-read what radical said about warming up, you'll see that its not just to put on gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalwillie View Post
Three days ago, I went out to the garage and started my bike like always. As I had my morning coffee waiting for it to warm up, I noticed a very faint low pitched grumble.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Ian

I wouldn't worry about it. Just stick with your normal routine and keep an eye/ear on the problem. I would drain the oil and examine it for heavy metal particles or signs of wear/failure ... shimmering streaks and excessive glitter.

Drain the oil into a clean drip tray. Transfer the oil into some clear jugs, I use mayo containers. Use a funnel with coffee filters or paint filters to shuffle the oil from tub to tub, I even throw a block magnet in the funnel filter for good measure. Check the filters and magnet for debris.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster

You missed my point. But yes, warming up has everything to do with fuel injection, as well as modern engines. Carbed bikes had to be warmed up to a point in order to hold an idle stable, fuel injection does not. Also, if you re-read what radical said about warming up, you'll see that its not just to put on gear.
Didn't miss your point man, just wasn't going to write a lot more or delve into the basics and write a diatribe on how carb engines work.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Nineophile Retired

Thanks for the input Pvster, I hear what you are saying about not "needing" to warm it up to maintain consistent idle, my warm up time is usually about three minutes, I do the same with FI cars, just a habbit I guess. But I don't feel that its a temp issue. I just rode the bike to work and heard the noise as soon as I started it up (engine cold). After a 20 minute ride into work, I put it in nuetral at an idle and there was the noise again ( normal operating temp).

Thanks for the reply HeliMech. Good ideas.

Again, if I can pick it up with the voice recorder on my I-phone, I'll try post a sound clip.

post #12 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Didn't miss your point man, just wasn't going to write a lot more or delve into the basics and write a diatribe on how carb engines work.
You're not reinventing the wheel here man. There's been plenty of discussions regarding warm-up times on this forum already so feel free to check them out so we can continue the convo if needed.

Radical, that's some new information. You say you hear it when you put it into neutral? That's the transmission spinning with no load bearing force I suspect. Wouldn't be surprised if that's normal but can't comment if it is or not since I'm Deaf I can tell you though I notice vibration changes in the same situations. I remember reading some other threads regarding this very topic but can't remember all the details. Try doing a search if you can.

post #13 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

First, I never warm it up before riding, primarily because it extends piston ring and bore life, but also I'm usually in a hurry to get somewhere, and so I don't obsess about the minor mechanical symphony the engine produces. Historically every Honda I have owned, and it's a considerable number, has made a variety of minor noises that were worrisome at first but didn't change in volume or nature for the rest of their 100,000 + mile life.

The lesson? Don't worry about it. Mine makes a noticable trans noise when in neutral -- most manual transmissions do -- due to the necessary backlash in the unloaded gears all of which stops when the clutch is pulled in.

By all means check the oil for excess metal during the next change, but in the meantime just ride it like you normally do, confident in Honda's engineers talents and top notch manufacturing standards.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #14 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Nineophile Retired

Great advice Rob, you are probably right on the money. I'm just one of those people who freaks out when I hear something new... Thanks for the input!

post #15 of 15 Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
First, I never warm it up before riding, primarily because it extends piston ring and bore life, but also I'm usually in a hurry to get somewhere, and so I don't obsess about the minor mechanical symphony the engine produces. Historically every Honda I have owned, and it's a considerable number, has made a variety of minor noises that were worrisome at first but didn't change in volume or nature for the rest of their 100,000 + mile life.

The lesson? Don't worry about it. Mine makes a noticable trans noise when in neutral -- most manual transmissions do -- due to the necessary backlash in the unloaded gears all of which stops when the clutch is pulled in.

By all means check the oil for excess metal during the next change, but in the meantime just ride it like you normally do, confident in Honda's engineers talents and top notch manufacturing standards.

Rob

couldnt agree with rob more... ESPECIALLY on the 919... the motor is bullet proof, as long as its got oil, your fine, ride it, ride the piss out of it, and it will go on for a long LONG time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode