Stolen Mode - i think - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 07-31-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Stolen Mode - i think

Hi All.

So i am relatively new here (posting) and recently bought my own 02 919. i bought it from a guy who had recently crashed it and his wife told him he needs to get rid of it.
The bike is in literately good condition and since i got it, i have been fixing it up (Exhaust, radiator, handles etc...) but there was one catch which im only realizing now how much of a pain it is.

The bike never came with a key... It was apparently lost after the crash when the bike was towed to the lot. So when i got the bike, the guy told me i just need a new key and i will be good. Now momma didn teach me to be a patient man, so long story short, the bike wont start and i need assistance if possible.

So i though, joining the two red cables coming from the key cylinder to the main wiring loom, if i just cut them and join them, i close the "key" circuit and bobs your aunty, the bike should start. I was wrong...
So the bike powers on, lights and horn work. Hit the start button, Bike turns over, but no pump prime at all. Check the pump by grounding black/brown wire in the 2nd relay, pump primes.
Next i check the plugs, no spark on any of the cylinders. nothing. I check the coil and resistance appears good.

My suspicion is the bike thinks its being stolen and wont start. Is there a way to bypass this and "brute force" a start out of the little critter? seems to be an ECU issue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 02:15 AM
Left of Centre

Yes, it is the ECU, waiting to be told to go.

I had a Honda mechanic "flash" a new [spare] key for me after I bought a chip-equipped blank - South Agrican guy, as it happens! It was not especially time-consuming or technical, but you had to know the right sequence to go through, and I don't recall if the original key was involved in the process or not. If you can the right person to help and persuade them that you have legitimate rights to the bike, you might be able to dig your way out...

post #3 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Yes, it is the ECU, waiting to be told to go.

I had a Honda mechanic "flash" a new [spare] key for me after I bought a chip-equipped blank - South Agrican guy, as it happens! It was not especially time-consuming or technical, but you had to know the right sequence to go through, and I don't recall if the original key was involved in the process or not. If you can the right person to help and persuade them that you have legitimate rights to the bike, you might be able to dig your way out...
I have the papers registered in the correct names and can prove it is mine

Are there after market ECU's available for the honda 919?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 02:55 AM
919 Rider

I've flashed key chips to the bikes H.I.S.S. before and it's dead easy.
No need for the original key since the process involves wiping the memory of all chips then recording new ones.
If you do a little Google on Honda H.I.S.S. and reprogramming a chip you'll find the process.
You'll need a key with a chip. The chip is often hidden under a panel on the key handle. Ebay.
You'll need a harness. To plug into a red connector on the bike. Make or buy one.
The reader for the chip is surrounding the ignition switch. There is a process involving the dash buttons and waving you arms about.
Good luck. If you have trouble I'll look for the excellent walk thru I used.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 03:13 AM
919 Rider

Actually turns out you do need the original chipped key. To do what I did you first need to turn things on. I did a Google search. There would be a way around this.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 03:41 AM
919 Rider

Although if you can turn your bike on without a key you may be able to program new chips into the system.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

If i got a ECU (Non HISS) would i be able to use this and bypass the factory key? replace the current HISS ECU with a US Non HISS ECU ?

post #8 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Left of Centre

Yes, I think that's the direction to explore next

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode