Starting motor after rebuild - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 05-01-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
I'm Irradiated

Starting motor after rebuild

I just rebuilt my 919 motor and am having the problem everyone dreads after such an undertaking....won't start.

Checked all the plugs and I have spark. Checked the fuel pump and it has voltage when the key is turned on. I also checked that it flows fuel by disconnecting the fuel return line and measured the amount when the key is turned on.

I popped open the valve cover to check the valve timing, the marks still line up.

Checked the plug wires were routed correctly. Even tried swapping the coil signal in case that happened to be switched.

I turn the motor over and it doesn't even act like anything is igniting.

I haven't tried pulling the intake and seeing if the injectors are squirting, and I haven't done a compression test but it feels ok when I turn it over by hand.

Ideas? I'm about to simply buy another bike for the riding season.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-01-2015, 01:23 PM
The Cripple

Check your kill switch.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Riding Naked All The Time

Check the clutch switch and kickstand switch

2004 919 Uranium

post #4 of 18 Old 05-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
post #5 of 18 Old 05-01-2015, 03:34 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I don't think the start button will even work if the kickstand or clutch switch are triggered. Fuel supply problem I'm thinking.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #6 of 18 Old 05-01-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
I'm Irradiated

Ugh...so embarrassing

Correct, the motor wouldn't even crank if there was a problem with the kill switch. The fuel pump doesn't get power either.

Upon further investigation... I was completely ignorant with my cam timing. Being a little rushed and working nights fogged up my mind lol. I've been building cars for a long time but never messed with wrenching on bikes, bought this one cheap and am using it to learn on.

The factory shop manual has horrible pictures, and I assumed the lonely mark on the crank was the TDC mark for lining up the cams. Hopefully I didn't bend my valves. Anyway, for the "T" mark that is supposed to be lined up, is it the vertical marking of the "T" that gets lined up, the leading edge of the "T", or the index line just to the right of the "T" ?

I already realigned to the vertical marking of the "T" but it appears that TDC is actually achieved with the mark just to the right. I inserted a rod into the #1 piston and turned the crank by had and that is where I noted the highest movement of the piston.

I'll be checking the compression after I get off work tomorrow morning, I really hope I don't have to replace my valves lol.

post #7 of 18 Old 05-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Left of Centre

As your investigations have already found [TDC with a rod in the cylinder] it's the index line, not the letter - the letter is a stamp to identify the intention of the line.

post #8 of 18 Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

Glad someone got the joke. Bad timing?

Another bad joke....

On a serious note, I can't remember if the 919 is an interference design or not.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-02-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
I'm Irradiated

It is.

Anybody have some intake valves they don't need? Lol

At least I've learned a bit. Plus my pistons don't show measurable damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150502_143138_1430602775746.jpg (97.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20150502_143302_1430602884223.jpg (139.2 KB, 23 views)

post #10 of 18 Old 05-02-2015, 04:56 PM
The Cripple

Damn, that's a bummer dude.

post #11 of 18 Old 05-02-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
I'm Irradiated

Yea, little bummed and a bruised ego, but I'll have another head ready to go Thursday. I'm getting pretty efficient working around this bike.

post #12 of 18 Old 05-02-2015, 08:31 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

It could be worse (yeah, it's me). It happened on the freeway and I babied it home some 3 miles:

post #13 of 18 Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 PM
dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
It could be worse (yeah, it's me). It happened on the freeway and I babied it home some 3 miles:
Youch, that was hard to watch.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-02-2015, 11:22 PM
The Cripple

OUCH karl. I cringed seeing both bits.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-03-2015, 01:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

That was about the 3rd time I rebuilt that engine. Shift fork broke, clutch basket broke, etc..
I have 2 of the 700S bikes and one was for parts... So I swapped the head from my spare parts... Bought new jet kit and K&N filter... ends up the replacement head has an oil leak that looks like the head is cracked.

It's sad because the 700S was a great bike to ride, cool styling, performance, etc... Now she just sits there. The parts are uncommon and it's not so easy to find good used parts.

Good news is that I have some awesome memories on that bike.

post #16 of 18 Old 05-03-2015, 02:29 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
That was about the 3rd time I rebuilt that engine. Shift fork broke, clutch basket broke, etc..
I have 2 of the 700S bikes and one was for parts... So I swapped the head from my spare parts... Bought new jet kit and K&N filter... ends up the replacement head has an oil leak that looks like the head is cracked.

It's sad because the 700S was a great bike to ride, cool styling, performance, etc... Now she just sits there. The parts are uncommon and it's not so easy to find good used parts.

Good news is that I have some awesome memories on that bike.

Dunno where you're looking but there's a bunch of 700s on CA Craigslists for *cheeeeeap* at the moment.

And no, you can't have my spare motor. :P Also, you're aware you can have the head TiG welded so the leak isn't a problem any more, right?

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #17 of 18 Old 05-03-2015, 03:05 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Yeah, I had that happen to me as well on the first DOHC motor I ever worked on: thought it was timed properly but was off just enough to bend every last one of the intake valves. From then on I always slowly rotate the motor up to TDC while feeling for any binding at all. It has saved my bacon on several occasions.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #18 of 18 Old 05-03-2015, 07:21 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
Dunno where you're looking but there's a bunch of 700s on CA Craigslists for *cheeeeeap* at the moment.

And no, you can't have my spare motor. :P Also, you're aware you can have the head TiG welded so the leak isn't a problem any more, right?
Awww... I figured if I cry loud enough, you'd send me a completely rebuilt engine

I don't know if you can see it in the video, but there's a huge TIG welder under that bench. I haven't done alum yet, so I'd have to practice a bit.

The real issue is too many things going on right now. I'm retraining myself for iOS app development and with the 919 working well, the 700 had to take a back seat.

I still remember how easy the 700 was to "flick" into a corner, it somehow seemed lighter and nimbler than the 919. I do miss that awesome sound when I'd wind her up, it's one of the best sounding stock exhaust I've heard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode