Starting bike with choke - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 2 Post By Islandboy
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-31-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Starting bike with choke

Hey you guys helped me get my bike running after a 1 1/2 years of sitting because of an illness I had, so the bike is running now. But starting it I'm having a hard time getting it started. I have to choke the engine to get it started. Once it starts I can push the choke in and the bike runs fine idles fine, never had this problem before only in cold weather starts I had to choke the bike. Now I'm worried that in cold weather I'll have a real problem stating it if I have to choke it when it's 70 degrees out. Took the bike out for a good ride filled the tank with some new high test gas, but after sitting it still needs the choke to start. There was a green wire which I forgot which terminal it went to on the battery, however it wasn't red so I put it on the neutral. The power commander seems to be fine I guess lights light how they should when I hit the throttle. Any ideas or is this just something that I will have to deal with and is normal for an 04' Honda 919. Thanks in advance guys


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_smith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
If it's not too much of a chore, I'd suggest trying to start without the Power Commander installed. If it runs normally without it, you've got your culprit.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 09-01-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
If it's not too much of a chore, I'd suggest trying to start without the Power Commander installed. If it runs normally without it, you've got your culprit.


That maybe a chore for me that's what i had read online that it maybe the Power Commander, but I love the way the PC smoothed the ride out. It's funny after the initial start the bike starts all day just fine it's just the initial start after sitting for a day or two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_smith is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 09-02-2017, 02:03 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 1
 
Power commander cold start issue. My bike had it. Long holds of the start button after bike fired or repeated start attempts when cold. Then start fine all day when warm. I've fixed my cold start issue using Rob's diode shunt fix. Very simple, very cheap. Power commander is still on bike and bike starts immediately, regardless of bike engine temp, hot or cold. Awesome.

Islandboy is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 09-05-2017, 05:19 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Power commander cold start issue. My bike had it. Long holds of the start button after bike fired or repeated start attempts when cold. Then start fine all day when warm. I've fixed my cold start issue using Rob's diode shunt fix. Very simple, very cheap. Power commander is still on bike and bike starts immediately, regardless of bike engine temp, hot or cold. Awesome.
Great news.
Tharlson should get at least a case of good beer re this.
TheScientist likes this.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 09-05-2017, 07:15 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 1
 
Bugger that. I'll send him a little bottle of Aussie rum. The shipping on a box of beer across the pond! Just kidding I owe him big time.
Robs diode fix post had been up for a while. Didn't look like anyone had tried it. I had read it before, but I was ignorant of the whole flyback voltage thing so just blew it off. I tried everything else everyone else had tried, no success. Was about to give up and was going to fling the power commander. I had emailed another fuel controller crowd. They could retro fit a newer model controller to the 919, it can add and subtract fuel. Hundreds of dollars. Besides the cold start problem I liked the power commander. I thought what the hell one final go at fixing it. Tried Rob's diode shunt (followed his instructions) instant cold start. Success. I was gob smacked. Also very cheap and easy. I have since googled the crap out of flyback voltage. Which I new nothing about. It all make sense now.
Be be good if someone else could confirm diode fix. Must be sure power commander is the cause of the issue.
Thanks Rob. I wish your bike brain came as a pdf.
mcromo44 and TreetopFlyer like this.

Islandboy is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 09-05-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Bugger that. I'll send him a little bottle of Aussie rum. The shipping on a box of beer across the pond! Just kidding I owe him big time.
Robs diode fix post had been up for a while. Didn't look like anyone had tried it. I had read it before, but I was ignorant of the whole flyback voltage thing so just blew it off. I tried everything else everyone else had tried, no success. Was about to give up and was going to fling the power commander. I had emailed another fuel controller crowd. They could retro fit a newer model controller to the 919, it can add and subtract fuel. Hundreds of dollars. Besides the cold start problem I liked the power commander. I thought what the hell one final go at fixing it. Tried Rob's diode shunt (followed his instructions) instant cold start. Success. I was gob smacked. Also very cheap and easy. I have since googled the crap out of flyback voltage. Which I new nothing about. It all make sense now.
Be be good if someone else could confirm diode fix. Must be sure power commander is the cause of the issue.
Thanks Rob. I wish your bike brain came as a pdf.


Sounds like my problem once the bike starts it starts all day fine. Where can I find Rob's fix thread? Should I just google the key words or how far back is the post? And is it really that easy I'm pretty much not mechanically inclined, but willing to try to keep the PC on board it really improved the ride of the bike in my opinion. Also is there any real reason not to just choke the bike to start it other then it being an annoyance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_smith is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 09-05-2017, 11:44 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 1
 
First do what Bockhawk suggested. Remove the power commander. Run the bike stock and see if the cold start issue is still there. Then you'll know where to go next.

Islandboy is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,218
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

just ignore the "choke" (it's really more of a fast idle since there are no carbs, but that's just semantics) and just hold the starter button down for a few extra seconds when starting cold. totally fixes the problem with no intervention necessary.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 09-10-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
just ignore the "choke" (it's really more of a fast idle since there are no carbs, but that's just semantics) and just hold the starter button down for a few extra seconds when starting cold. totally fixes the problem with no intervention necessary.


Thanks I try that but the bike doesn't start when I hold the start button and it seems like the start cycle ends for that depression of the starter it seems like I'm just going to kill the battery. Should I still just hold the button and will the starter cycle through again while I have the button depressed?

Just_smith is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 09-10-2017, 07:01 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 1
 
Let me get this right.
Your bike has to turn over several times before it fires and starts?
Or does the bike start mostly straight away but dies the moment you release the starter button unless button is held in for several seconds after starting then it remains running?

Islandboy is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 09-17-2017, 11:18 PM
Milites Gregarius
 
derpydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 159
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_smith View Post
Thanks I try that but the bike doesn't start when I hold the start button and it seems like the start cycle ends for that depression of the starter it seems like I'm just going to kill the battery. Should I still just hold the button and will the starter cycle through again while I have the button depressed?
Wait, I thought you were describing the PC cold start problem too until this. This just sounds like your battery is dead.

Fine, I'm adding a signature, leave me alone!
derpydog is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 1
 
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, maybe it's not the cold start issue. That's why I was asking for a better description of the start symptoms.

Islandboy is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Let me get this right.
Your bike has to turn over several times before it fires and starts?
Or does the bike start mostly straight away but dies the moment you release the starter button unless button is held in for several seconds after starting then it remains running?


The bike never turns over with the start button pressed even if I hold it in for several seconds. The bike seems like it wants to start but just doesn't turnover. The battery is still is strong after multiple attempts but I'm afraid of multiple attempts this way is going to kill the battery. As soon as I pull the choke out on the bike it starts on the first attempt. I was questioning the battery because it needed a charge when I purchased it and then after the charge I still had to jumpstart the bike to get it running, however since that initial start it has not had a problem just in the back of my mind it's a concern. And after the initial start the bike starts all day with out pulling the choke out or holding the start button for an additional amount of time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_smith is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 09-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Serial Monogamist
 
ST-DocLizard1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hampton, NJ
Posts: 1,507
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_smith View Post
The bike never turns over with the start button pressed even if I hold it in for several seconds. The bike seems like it wants to start but just doesn't turnover. The battery is still is strong after multiple attempts but I'm afraid of multiple attempts this way is going to kill the battery. As soon as I pull the choke out on the bike it starts on the first attempt. I was questioning the battery because it needed a charge when I purchased it and then after the charge I still had to jumpstart the bike to get it running, however since that initial start it has not had a problem just in the back of my mind it's a concern. And after the initial start the bike starts all day with out pulling the choke out or holding the start button for an additional amount of time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you checked the voltage drop when cranking the engine before it catches?



"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
ST-DocLizard1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome