squeeking breaks - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Immune

squeeking breaks

changed my front pads about two weeks ago, using Honda pads. that's when the squeeking started. It happens only under lite to moderate breaking . I have checked and rechecked every thing, my rotors are straight, the calipers were installed and torqued per manual, I have also checked the wheel and axle , all good, and the pins holding the pads were cleaned and lightly lubed. breaks operates normally other than the noise. Has any one else had this issue before and how do you fix it, any help here is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

use the hell out of them..... get going fast as you feel safe and try to stoppie that thing.... they will quit squeaking pretty quick...

thats what i always did with mine...

post #3 of 18 Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Steve

This is a known issue on some 9ers.Try searching,there is a huge thread on this. Like you, I have tried everything multiple times and it still squeals like a banshee under light to moderate braking. Only 9k miles on the bike.
My calipers/rotors are so clean you can eat off them-no difference.The only known fix is to replace the stock rotors with galfers which will set ya back bout $600. FWIW...I can take 100 grit sandpaper and sand both sides of the rotors and the squeal completely stops for bout 100 miles but it always comes back. Not sure how/why.
I have new EBC HH sinterd pads installed now but it was the same prob with the stockers.

Good luck man, I gave up and am currently saving for galfers but would love to be able to fix it on the cheap. Post up if ya figure anything out.

Steve

post #4 of 18 Old 07-23-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
use the hell out of them..... get going fast as you feel safe and try to stoppie that thing.... they will quit squeaking pretty quick...

thats what i always did with mine...
I should have known you'll come up with a solution like this, LOL. Last time I tried a little showing off, I almost eat ##it in front of two dozen people, and at my age, with my weight,it could have been embarrassing and painful . I have been hard on the breaks on more than few occasion ,but the squeak is still there.

post #5 of 18 Old 07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Immune

I guess I was lucky as I just replaced my pads and I have no noise at all, hopefully it will stay noise free. I bought OEM pads and have maybe 100-200 miles on the new pads. Did your noise start right after replacing the pads or did it take some usage before noise started?

post #6 of 18 Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowytgr1 View Post
I guess I was lucky as I just replaced my pads and I have no noise at all, hopefully it will stay noise free. I bought OEM pads and have maybe 100-200 miles on the new pads. Did your noise start right after replacing the pads or did it take some usage before noise started?
lucky you I noticed the noise within a couple of days of installation about 400 miles , I also have OEM pads. I am thinking of changing the pins that hold the pads, I can't see any damage on them, but if one happens to be slightly bend it could effect the pads movement, according to the service guy at the dealer. I'll post up once I get the pins.

post #7 of 18 Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Steve

Break Squeal-more info

FWIW...Mine started squealing immediately after having a new tire put on the front by the dealer. I still had the stock pads on at that point. I installed new pads to see if it would help but that did absolutely nothing. I have cleaned and reassembled everything multiple times. I can rag on the brakes like a stunta but it makes no difference. If I scuff up the rotors with 100 grit sandpaper the squeal stops for a couple hundred miles but comes back. (There may be a clue there somewhere) I'm out of ideas. Post up it ya solve the mystery! Good Luck!

Steve

post #8 of 18 Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

It's a common problem with a plethora of home remedies which don't work (if they did, it wouldn't be a common problem...).

Don't sweat it. It has absolutely no adverse effect on your bike's ability to stop.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #9 of 18 Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 PM

Swap rotors from another model?

I have the same problem. I've gotten used to it, but if I can do something about it cheaply, I'm all ears. Maybe it's an issue with the stock rotors Honda provides with the bike? So if you can find a set of decent rotors from salvage off another bike, maybe that will work. If so, what other rotors will fit the 919? A CBR? Some other Honda?

post #10 of 18 Old 08-12-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaddeusVenture View Post
I have the same problem. I've gotten used to it, but if I can do something about it cheaply, I'm all ears. Maybe it's an issue with the stock rotors Honda provides with the bike? So if you can find a set of decent rotors from salvage off another bike, maybe that will work. If so, what other rotors will fit the 919? A CBR? Some other Honda?
so here is what i did which seems to be working so far. removed the calipers and pads cleaned all the parts thoroughly with break cleaner paying special attention to the pins and caliper bolts , make sure you clean all the old locking agent. clean and lightly sand break pads using a flat sanding block. check the wheel and axle for alignment . put every thing back together and torque to spec . squeaking has been reduced significantly to the point that I no longer notice it , considering that my breaks sounded like the breaks on a school bus before

post #11 of 18 Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantelhonda View Post
considering that my breaks sounded like the breaks on a school bus before
short bus?? or the regular long bus??

post #12 of 18 Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
short bus?? or the regular long bus??
what is the difference . and don't say one is longer

post #13 of 18 Old 08-18-2009, 03:38 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

"Short Bus" is generally used to reference the bus for handicapped kids. Less politically correct, the stupid kid bus. Not sure how that affects the sound of the breaks, but there it is.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantelhonda View Post
what is the difference . and don't say one is longer

....ummmm.......... the short bus usually has more nose and drool marks on the windows.....

post #15 of 18 Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Gets censored

i rode the piss out of mine and it stopped around 11k............ annoying until then though

post #16 of 18 Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I have always used some silcone stop squeal between the piston and pad. You can get it at any auto store for about $5.00. All it does is to damper the vibrations of the pads.

post #17 of 18 Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Guzzi Man

Get a scotch brite pad

Clean the rotors vigorously with one of these and some rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner spray can. Verify you have the retainers that the pins compress correctly installed. You'll get it right, I got faith !

post #18 of 18 Old 08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
It's like... ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
i rode the piss out of mine and it stopped around 11k............ annoying until then though
x2 from the time I bought the bike with 3800 to the time I rolled 15,000 or so, it made that noise. Out of the blue, it stopped. I just did new pads(EBC I think) and it hasn't come back.

[insert overly political message here]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode