spark plug recommendations ? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 05-23-2013, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

spark plug recommendations ?

gonna check and maybe change them, any good plugs? i know what the manual says but curious what others like i.e. ngk or dense, iridium?

thanks
j

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Welcome to the forum! It seems people stick with what's in the manual for spark plugs.

There's are two versions listed IIRC. Maybe someone will chime in...

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 24 Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

thanks, im glad i found this forum.

cr8eh-9 are what the manual suggest for NGK but i ws curious about the iridium version as well.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Tesserarius

I recently just changed my spark plugs in my 919. Went with the NGK Irdium. I did some research and found that many people didn't see a difference between the iridium and the original plugs. I haven't seen a difference so it may be best just to go with the cheaper plugs.

post #5 of 24 Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbleach4 View Post
I recently just changed my spark plugs in my 919. Went with the NGK Irdium. I did some research and found that many people didn't see a difference between the iridium and the original plugs. I haven't seen a difference so it may be best just to go with the cheaper plugs.
+1 I have tried both and don't notice any difference

If you have Advance Auto Parts nearby. Place the order online and enter P20 coupon code, pick them up in the store and you can get 4 for around $20.

NGK Nickel Spark Plug (CR8EH-9)-5666 - Advance Auto Parts

or

Buy NGK Nickel Spark Plug (CR9EH-9) 7502 at Advance Auto Parts

post #6 of 24 Old 05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Tirone

iridium plugs are said to last alot longer something like 100k miles in automotive applications. i put 135k miles on a set of ngk iridiums in my toyota rav4 when i pulled them they looked excellent they honestly probably could've gone back in but i already bought new ones. again this is automotive i am talking about. spark plugs dont last near as long in our bikes as they do in our cars but for what its worth the iridium plugs would probably last longer than the regular copper in our bikes. regardless of what type of plug you buy my vote will always always always go to NGK i even have one in my honda commercial lawn mower. just my .02

post #7 of 24 Old 05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Le So Cal Troll

stick with standard OEM spec NGK plugs. no irridums, you will not gain any HP and infact will loose some earlier on than standard plugs due to the rounding of the irridum tip of the plug itself. and no other brand besides NGK plain and simple.

post #8 of 24 Old 05-24-2013, 03:45 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

I went with iridium because I gt them pretty cheap and hopefully the will last longer, much longer. I also swapped oem plug wires to silicon mag winding plug wires. Don't ask, it was one long winter

post #9 of 24 Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
stick with standard OEM spec NGK plugs. no irridums, you will not gain any HP and infact will loose some earlier on than standard plugs due to the rounding of the irridum tip of the plug itself. and no other brand besides NGK plain and simple.

not to start an argument here or anything but do you have any hardcore evidence that the iridium plugs round off faster? iridium is extremely extremely hard thats why iridium plugs last so long. i highly doubt they deteriorate faster than a standard plug of the same type and heat rating, unless im missing something here? please enlighten me

post #10 of 24 Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Le So Cal Troll

if im not mistaken LDH and or Rob had some knowledge on this subject... let me see what i can dig up.

here we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
1. Iridium plugs wear out much quicker than conventional plugs. We've verified this on the dyno with the RC51 multiple times where new plugs around the 4000 mile mark make a repeatable couple hp improvement in performance whereas conventional plugs show no change at all after thousands of additional miles...

2. Iridium plugs by the service manual cannot be gapped. Basically that is BS, but the real truth is the electrode tips are extremely sensitive and easy to damage so rather than risk damage through an inexperienced hand trying to gap them they tell you to throw them away and get a new one if they are not gapped to spec.

3. The iridium tips are so susceptible to damage that it can actually happen just trying to insert them into the head. Bang one around a little during insertion and ya never know how much damage you may or may not have done.

post #11 of 24 Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Tirone

so is this only for like motorcycle/powersport applications or all iridium plugs in general. iridium or platinum plugs are oem standard on my toyota 3sfe and are manufacture recommended for replacements. but again thats an engine that redlines at 6300 rpm and is alot easier on plugs than or high rev high heat motorcycles

on a further note iridium plugs CAN be gaped it just takes a special gap tool and measuring device.

post #12 of 24 Old 05-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Le So Cal Troll

pretty much if the manufacture deems iridiums necessary use em as the higher heat etc will not play well with a standard plug for that application. But if standard plugs come well standard use em.

post #13 of 24 Old 05-27-2013, 03:30 PM
McTavish

It's nothing short of amazing how well aged plugs can work perfectly well in lightly loaded low to mid rpm mode, and not nearly so well under maximum load and rpm modes.
Crisp edges are crucial when the plug is working the hardest.

post #14 of 24 Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
It's nothing short of amazing how well aged plugs can work perfectly well in lightly loaded low to mid rpm mode, and not nearly so well under maximum load and rpm modes.
Crisp edges are crucial when the plug is working the hardest.

very true. of course thats true for alot of regular maintenance items i suppose

post #15 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Ginger-prick

The manual suggests two different plugs. One for standard duty, and one for high-rpm duty.
My motorcycle is usually going down the highway at 5k+ rpm's, so I was thinking the high-rpm duty ones would suit better.
<edit>
Found it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark plugs.jpg (29.7 KB, 16 views)

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
The manual suggests two different plugs. One for standard duty, and one for high-rpm duty.
My motorcycle is usually going down the highway at 5k+ rpm's, so I was thinking the high-rpm duty ones would suit better.
<edit>
Found it:
Colder plugs are for one thing and one thing only.
Heavy use at full power.
It is virtually impossible for the standard heat range to be anything but cool enough on the street, no matter how one rides.
A so called high horsepower track, with sustained periods at full throttle, at high altitude with dry air on a hot day MIGHT be able to get close to the edge of the safe zone of the plugs, but that's about it.
More to the point would be a lighter glycol amount in the coolant plus the use of water wetter, and the removal of the rad fan. ( as long as you are moving fast enough)

post #17 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Ginger-prick

Well damn, I already ordered them for store pickup from autozone.

Is it detrimental at all to run then, or just a waist of the extra $4?

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Le So Cal Troll

yeah stick with the NGK CR8EH-9's.... the 9EH-9's are pointless unless all she see's is WOT and redline all day long.

and ALWAYS run NGK's ..... denso's are crap... you should see the huge difference in wear between the "same" denso and NGK plugs in the same motor.... for example in a toyota 3.4L v6.... toyota has a weird contract with the two plug manufactures and all the 3.4L v6's in their previous generation of trucks came with one side (3 cylinders) of ngk plugs, and one side of densos... at 100k miles the gap on the NGK's and wear looks very minimal compared to a new NGK.... the denso's on the other hand typically will have a gap twice as large as stock and a center electrode super worn down.

EDIT - btw. i JUST did my plugs yesterday (used NGK's 8EH's of course) ... couple of tips.... REMOVE the coils completely... mark which goes where (both coil to frame orientation, as well as coil wire to plug orientation, and harness to coil orientation).... all the plugs come out with relative ease, you just have to get smart with number 3.... this is where a foot long or so piece of tube that fits over the top of the ceramic of the plug comes into play.... Break the plug loose, and loosen it till its on the last copule of threads or so... then stick the tube down in the hole and grab onto the top. twist the tube n pull the plug out... for putting the #3 back in, do just the opposite... put the plug ceramic in the tube snugly, and gently feed her down in the hole... the plug will find the actual threaded hole then start spinning the tube while guiding it straight... she will grab and walla plug in the hole... tighten her up properly then do the other 3.

post #19 of 24 Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
Well damn, I already ordered them for store pickup from autozone.

Is it detrimental at all to run then, or just a waist of the extra $4?
They'll have a tendency not to stay as clean as they won't be hot enough. But with today's fuels, fuel injection and oils, the issue should be nothing like it used to be years ago.
Personally, I'd try to get the order changed.
I'd never put them in.

post #20 of 24 Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Le So Cal Troll

yeah with as rich and grungy the standard 8EH's were that i pulled out at 22.5K i wouldnt go any cooler.

post #21 of 24 Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Milites Gregarius

Per recommendations of the group, I stuck with the factory spec NGK CR8EH-9's. I did an online search and, after doing a bit of price shopping, ordered a set from sparkplugs.com for $ 31.42 ... shipped...

post #22 of 24 Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Ayatolla of RoknRolla

Garage
I'd like to know where you're finding them for so cheap, everywhere I look it's between $14 - $18 PER plug.

- 2004 Honda 919
post #23 of 24 Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 AM
Ayatolla of RoknRolla

Garage
*UPDATE* After another decent search online I found them at RockAuto.com for $41 Canadian shipped. Not too bad I guess.

- 2004 Honda 919
post #24 of 24 Old 07-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Tesserarius

I got mine on ebay for $26.

Couldn't tell you if it's cause of them, new suspension, lighter exhaust, pairs removal, fluid changes... but i'd swear i'm getting an extra 20 miles per tank..
had 25k miles on the original plugs and my gas light usually came on at 140-150 IIRC, now i've made it to 160ish before it came on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode