4Likes
  • 2 Post By Supernintendo
  • 1 Post By Supernintendo
  • 1 Post By Supernintendo

post #1 of 13 Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
***SOLD***DIY: Givi side case racks for 919

I looked high and low and could not find any side case racks for sale, anywhere in the world, new or used, on any forum or eBay. They're long since discontinued, so if you want to mount Givi side cases you are out of luck.

But.. I really wanted a pair of top-loading E21's, so I took a gamble and bought racks for a Yamaha FZ6 since they looked pretty similar to the 919 racks. With a little massaging, they will work. I make no claims about the longevity of this setup or how pretty it is. I'm posting merely to show one alternative to giving up and using soft throw-over luggage.

The main downside to this setup is that the racks don't sit flush with the top case rails. You'll see in the pictures that there's an angle between the rails and the racks, but it actually feels a lot tighter than it looks. You still use the original hole in the top rails, screw it in nice and tight, mount the lower bars of the racks to the passenger pegs which is also nice and snug, and then there's a bar under the tail that connects the two sides and holds them together. Again, nice and snug.

First off, you need to mount the rails that hold the top case. Whether or not you use these rails for an actual top case is irrelevant, but they are needed to attach the side racks. I found a guy selling the rails, top plate, and huge top box for $60+shipping on eBay. A real steal.

Here are the top case racks, still available from several retailers: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ezima...86-500x600.jpg

Next, pick up a set of Givi PL360 hardware. This is the model made for the FZ6. I found a set on eBay for $75.

Finally, mount the bags you like. I chose the E21 top-loading cases. Why anyone would want side-loading is beyond me.

Anyway, the PL360 kit comes with everything you need including spacers that can be re-purposed to make the under-tail stabilizing bar long enough to connect the two side racks. You also need a hacksaw and a drill.

Pics attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1965 (Large).JPG (294.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1970 (Large).JPG (289.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1964 (Large).JPG (167.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1969 (Large).JPG (310.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1957 (Large).JPG (314.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1968 (Large).JPG (248.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1956 (Large).JPG (258.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1967 (Large).JPG (280.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1955 (Large).JPG (320.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1966 (Large).JPG (353.0 KB, 46 views)
K1w1Boy and badmoon692008 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Here are the last three pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1973 (Large).JPG (248.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1972 (Large).JPG (313.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1971 (Large).JPG (193.2 KB, 23 views)
K1w1Boy likes this.

post #3 of 13 Old 09-30-2017, 02:36 AM
Pilus Posterior

Looks good! I'm a bit concerned over the strength of that screw at the bottom, but I don't know how much weight it holds by itself.

I'm thinking of making some mounts that can be detached. All the things going on with 3D printers, you should be able to print a mount. I saw where they print tools that actually work and mold injection molding. They have to be able to print things mounts.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-30-2017, 06:43 PM
Left of Centre

Good work on taking the plunge and figuring out a work-around. It would probably fit even better for those with lo-mount exhaust conversions.

Your bike looks good, BTW. I thought about those cases too, but in the end went for the other E-number - 22?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3470.jpg (266.4 KB, 30 views)

post #5 of 13 Old 09-30-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Looks good! I'm a bit concerned over the strength of that screw at the bottom, but I don't know how much weight it holds by itself.
Thanks. That screw barely holds any weight at all, it just keeps the whole contraption from rotating. The weight is bourn almost entirely by the main center screw in the top rail.

post #6 of 13 Old 09-30-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Good work on taking the plunge and figuring out a work-around. It would probably fit even better for those with lo-mount exhaust conversions.

Your bike looks good, BTW. I thought about those cases too, but in the end went for the other E-number - 22?
My bike looks like ass compared to yours, wow. What side racks do you use to hold those E22s? And yes you are right my rigged setup would work better with a low-mount exhaust, because right now the frames of the racks are touching the exhaust heat shields. But whatever, it's functional.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernintendo View Post
Thanks. That screw barely holds any weight at all, it just keeps the whole contraption from rotating. The weight is bourn almost entirely by the main center screw in the top rail.
That's what I figured. I saw a thread where someone 3D printed a mount with the screw in the center for those center hole water/fuel jugs. I bet someone could scan in a mount or make one with a 3D printer. I'd like to have a quick dismount system myself.

post #8 of 13 Old 10-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
My bike looks like ass compared to yours, wow. What side racks do you use to hold those E22s? .... But whatever, it's functional.
Thanks.

The racks are the authentic original PL256 ones, designed for the 9'er, which lots of folks list but no-one actually has available anymore.

Getting them was a saga - they came 2nd hand from a shop in Canada somewhere, and postage was so expensive that we decided on surface mail, which it turned out was literally surface - on the surface of the Pacific Ocean, on a ship that came to NZ by way of Japan.

The delivery took so long that we had written them off as lost, and were about to initiate an insurance claim when they turned up - 13 weeks delivery time!

But they are in place now and work well - and yes, the functional part of your rig is what's important. I'd be doing the same....

post #9 of 13 Old 11-06-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
***UPDATE***

PM me if you would like to buy these. The racks, as you can see, are rigged to fit the 919 (assuming a Givi top rack in place) and work fine. The cases are 100% new and un-used.

Here's what happened: Once I got the whole apparatus installed, I determined that with the massive top case and a dry bag occupying the passenger seat, I literally do not need the side cases.

I did take an 1,100 mile ride with the racks installed, but not the cases. So the racks are "lightly used" and the cases are still new.
caver likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-10-2018, 06:20 PM
Milites Gregarius

How much are you asking? I only need the side brackets/cases. Dont need the top box and I have the raile. Just The bags/brackets. I recently did a ~3k ride, the givi top box and mounting system was amazing. I could use the extra space for my next ride this summer!

Let me know. Very nice job! I have an 07 919. It does incredibly well for long distance touring. The versatility of the 919 still blows me away.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanke1 View Post
How much are you asking? I only need the side brackets/cases. Dont need the top box and I have the raile. Just The bags/brackets. I recently did a ~3k ride, the givi top box and mounting system was amazing. I could use the extra space for my next ride this summer!

Let me know. Very nice job! I have an 07 919. It does incredibly well for long distance touring. The versatility of the 919 still blows me away.
I'll sell the unused cases and racks for the price of the cases alone - $200 + shipping. You get the racks for free. PM me your details if interested.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-16-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
I'll sell the unused cases and racks for the price of the cases alone - $200 + shipping. You get the racks for free. PM me your details if interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanke1 View Post

Bump - racks for free and shipping for free. Just pay for the (new, unused) cases. PM me if interested.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-24-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
SOLD

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode