So I have this friend... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

So I have this friend...

And he has 2 spare S-10 4 cylinders w/ 5 speed combos laying around taking up space. His way of dealing with the problem is planning to turn one of them into a motorcycle using parts he has laying around. We (well, mostly he) have the basic idea for the shape/layout of the frame but we aren't quite sure what material we would want/need to handle the weight. The motors will stay stock but get switched to carburetors to get rid of all the electronic crap, so horsepower won't be astronomical. Would we be able to get by with 1" steel square tubing? He was thinking aluminum tubing, but I'm not sure how wall thickness would come into play. We have both been mechanics for awhile and are both relatively intelligent beings, but we don't have the education/experience in fabrication of this kind to know exactly what we need. The frame is what is going to take the most time getting right, so... Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj View Post
And he has 2 spare S-10 4 cylinders w/ 5 speed combos laying around taking up space. His way of dealing with the problem is planning to turn one of them into a motorcycle using parts he has laying around. We (well, mostly he) have the basic idea for the shape/layout of the frame but we aren't quite sure what material we would want/need to handle the weight. The motors will stay stock but get switched to carburetors to get rid of all the electronic crap, so horsepower won't be astronomical. Would we be able to get by with 1" steel square tubing? He was thinking aluminum tubing, but I'm not sure how wall thickness would come into play. We have both been mechanics for awhile and are both relatively intelligent beings, but we don't have the education/experience in fabrication of this kind to know exactly what we need. The frame is what is going to take the most time getting right, so... Any ideas??

Sounds like a fun project, BUT I've got about 300 more questions I'd like answered. The frame material question would be better answered by showing a mock up of the planned frame. You could build an AL frame to handle the weight, but if you've never done it before, I would do steel because its much more forgiving. Also its going to weigh a ton no matter what you do.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Ginger-prick

First thought I had was a go-kart.
Does he want to get rid of one of them?

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

I was thinking the same thing about the aluminum vs. steel. Not to mention it would be easier to weld up a steel frame with the equipment in his garage. I don't have a drawing yet to share but the basic idea for the frame is a single spar over the top, down the middle, with 3 spars on each side going down around engine deck height and 2 down the front. When I get a drawing in my hands I'll try to post it.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
First thought I had was a go-kart.
Does he want to get rid of one of them?
Everything he owns has a price. If you want to come all the way to NC, I'm sure he would be willing to deal.

post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Will fly for food.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj View Post
The motors will stay stock but get switched to carburetors to get rid of all the electronic crap, so horsepower won't be astronomical.
Hahaha, I have a '92 S10 with the 4-banger 5-speed and she can't even get out of her own way I don't think there is a such thing as a powerful Iron Duke 2.5.

Anyways, this sounds like a fun project! I'd try to make the frame out of steel since-
1.) steel is relatively cheap and sounds like you guys have the equipment to make it work
2.) the frame will have to be quite beefy to support that turd of an engine/tranny setup
3.) the stock engine mounts are all steel so it makes them easier to weld onto the frame

I have a few ideas on how this setup can go, and it seems like it would have to be a long and low bike. I'm curious on how to use the shifter. If you sit above the tranny, the shifter is in your crotch, and the bike has two or three feet of frame in front of you. If you sit on the engine, would you run a contraption to remote locate the shifter?

It would be neat to use a beefy shaft-drive rear end to adapt to the tailshaft of the tranny and go with a hardtail setup.

Would it be a foot-operated cable clutch? So many ideas to ponder
Good luck! I'd love to see some sketches and pics of the progress!

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode