Slow air leak? - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By knicholas
  • 1 Post By TheScientist

post #1 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Slow air leak?

My front tire is hardly more than a month old and has a slow air leak, maybe 3-4 psi a day. Which, all things considered, isn't that slow.

I have scoured every square centimeter of the tire using the soap and water trick. No evident puncture. No bubbles from the valve stem either. It's maddening, I planned to take a long trip to tail of the dragon this week but don't want to risk it without solving this first.

Any similar experiences? I bought a valve stem core kit from Amazon and will be replacing that tomorrow in the hopes that it's the core.

ps. and i cannot take it back to the mechanic who installed the tire because he's about 700 miles away in the state i moved from

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Try replacing the motorcycle and see if that fixes it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #3 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Try replacing the motorcycle and see if that fixes it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
boy do(n't) i miss that long island sense of humor

post #4 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 01:46 PM
McTavish

Assuming you had the bike all along, and that the previous tire was OK, you know it has to be rim seating and/or valve body:rim and/or valve and/or valve cap.
Yes, cap.
Probably a one in a zillion chance of being involved, but it is a possibility.
I once had a situation of slow loss on a car tire, that I could only attribute to the cap actually loading up a bit on the plunger to the point of allowing air to come out of the valve, said air being restricted by the cap so it behaved as a slow leak.
knicholas likes this.

post #5 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 05:33 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I had a really slow leak on a car tire once and it turned out to be leaking on the bead. Probably the seating area wasn't completely clean when it was installed. Try soaping the bead on each side. If you have something big enough to put the wheel into, try partially submerging it in water and rotate it until you see bubbles.

post #6 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I had a really slow leak on a car tire once and it turned out to be leaking on the bead. Probably the seating area wasn't completely clean when it was installed. Try soaping the bead on each side. If you have something big enough to put the wheel into, try partially submerging it in water and rotate it until you see bubbles.
Hmm definitely seems like it could be that. Loved my mechanic but I could definitely see him half-assing the wiping down.

I'll release most of the air, soap the bead, and reinflate it hoping it catches properly. if not, i guess i'll ask the lady if i may use our bath tub as a wheel-leak-detector

post #7 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicholas View Post
Hmm definitely seems like it could be that. Loved my mechanic but I could definitely see him half-assing the wiping down.

I'll release most of the air, soap the bead, and reinflate it hoping it catches properly. if not, i guess i'll ask the lady if i may use our bath tub as a wheel-leak-detector
It could be a waste of time trying to prove it comes from the bead or stem, you know it's probably one or the other... How many choices are there?

Hole in the tire, bead, stem, defective tire, cracked rim... Not too many choices.

There's tons of videos about changing the tire... I'd take the tire off the bead and clean the bead then reseal. This should be a 20 min job once the tire is off.

You'll have your answer the next day or two. If you don't have the time, you'll need to take it to a shop. You can replace the stem for a few bucks.

If you want to test using the air bubbles, you can submerge the whole tire underwater and setup a camera to record it for an hour or two. You can check the pressure every 15 min or so. Maybe fab up a pressure gauge that attaches to the stem and put that in camera view. You might have a bubble every hour and that's painful to wait for, the camera can help there.

post #8 of 13 Old 07-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

I've had 2 issues with loss of air at about 3 psi over night every night. One was a valve stem that when pushed a specific direction had a small crack near the base. The other was a slightly unseated bead. I do my own tires so it wasn't a big deal to break the bead and reseat again. Do it a few times and you can get the bead broken and back on in 10 minutes easy.

I'd spray it down with soapy water and check back in a few hours to see if it's bubbling anywhere. I think if there's enough soap in the mixture it should stay in place long enough to find a slow leak... Could be wrong since I've never actually done the long leak test like this.

2003 Honda CB900 919 Hornet - Current
1999 Suzuki Bandit S1200 - sold
1986 Honda Magna V65 - sold
post #9 of 13 Old 08-23-2017, 04:22 AM
Milites Gregarius

Did you fix the leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #10 of 13 Old 08-23-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScientist View Post
Did you fix the leak?

unfortunately not yet! i narrowed it down to the bead for sure though. deflated it as much as possible, sprayed soapy water along the bead, made sure it got in, and then reinflated hoping it would seat correctly, but alas it did not. I just need to make the time to take the wheel off and break/reseat the bead.

But classes started and I was fixing up my DR650 and time escaped me. I'll get around to it though

Thanks for asking!
TheScientist likes this.

2002 Honda 919
1999 DR650
1998 GS500 - sold
2014 Ninja 300 - sold
post #11 of 13 Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Milites Gregarius

Time always escapes us but you need to get your priorities in order I've just started changing my own tires this year but have already done 5 successfully. Trial and error has thought me how important it is to get the tire evenly spaced around the wheel before inflating. By doing this correctly I can get it to inflate with my little 5 gal pancake compressor and of course my 80 gal. Just a little soapy water is needed. Good luck!

knicholas likes this.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I've rarely had problems with the bead leaking, but have been caught out by friggin valve stems that crack at the base more times than I can count...

I do my own tires too although my garage methods differ from most

Sweet Sticky Michelin Gription Goodness

post #13 of 13 Old 08-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Milites Gregarius

I wouldn't know what to do with that that grippy goodness... yet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode