Single High Muffler - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 03-25-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Single High Muffler

Recently I have seen several 919's for sale that have only one muffler high mounted in the stock position. Is there any performance advantage, other than weight savings, to removing the other muffler? I guess to do so, you have to remove the Y pipe after the header and connect a single pipe from the header collector up to the single muffler. Thats a little weight savings, but any performance gain?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Ian

Like the 900rr low mount header I don't think there are any performance gains or loses. The single sided high mount pipes usually come with a new mid pipe that replaces the Y-pipe.

I think some people like the look .... but am willing to bet the main advantage is cost, you only have to buy one muffler with the kit instead of running duals.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-25-2016, 04:30 PM
The Cripple

Two bros has a single high mount muffler system that can be mounted along with a matching dummy muffler that is used for storage. They provide you with a new mid pipe that replaces the y pipe.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-25-2016, 04:33 PM
The Instigator

I'm in the process of mounting a 2 Brother's 900RR header to a Katana 750 Ti Yosh Zyclone pipe. The Zyclone was a discontinued street baffle that makes even standard Yosh pipes seem loud. The Katana was the only one I could find in new condition, I've had a zyclone before and it's an excellent alternative for stock noise levels with less weight, stink etc..

I'll post pics when I'm done.

I've read the 900 header both does and doesn't decrease power. If mounting a light, low pipe you'd think the weight loss would make up the difference but does anyone know for sure? The diameter sure is thicker.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #5 of 11 Old 03-25-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cost would be a major consideration in addition to some weight loss.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

In my opinion most folks would do a low mount 900RR header arrangement if there were simple (easy to install) options available. It's the most modern solution.
Again IMO, the next best solution is the single sided high mount - Two Bros version. And IMO it looks the best (LOL) and is nearly the lowest weight. It also sounds great. I'm probably biased because it's what I have.

post #7 of 11 Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 PM
McTavish

A single canned 919 sounds like any other single canned inline 4.
Common, reedy, and not very inspiring, well, at least not to me, and thank goodness we all don't like all the same things!
A low mount 919 reusing stuff that can be applied to a 919, essentially translates to a single canned pipe BUT that setup does a good job of getting rid of the notorious 919 stink from the twin hi mounts.
I view the 919 exhaust stink as the worst aspect of the bike, and slow speed heavy traffic downwind travel on a hot summer day is awful for a passenger.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
In my opinion most folks would do a low mount 900RR header arrangement if there were simple (easy to install) options available. It's the most modern solution.
Again IMO, the next best solution is the single sided high mount - Two Bros version. And IMO it looks the best (LOL) and is nearly the lowest weight. It also sounds great. I'm probably biased because it's what I have.
+1, and no stink

post #9 of 11 Old 03-27-2016, 06:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I had a Two Brothers high mount for a while. I liked it just fine. It was light. Some people liked the carbon fiber look. I thought it. Sounded ok.

post #10 of 11 Old 03-28-2016, 07:08 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by retcol View Post
Recently I have seen several 919's for sale that have only one muffler high mounted in the stock position. Is there any performance advantage, other than weight savings, to removing the other muffler? I guess to do so, you have to remove the Y pipe after the header and connect a single pipe from the header collector up to the single muffler. Thats a little weight savings, but any performance gain?
Are you sure you aren't seeing 599's? They look very similar and the 599's have a single muffler stock

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #11 of 11 Old 03-29-2016, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

No, these have been actual 919's being advertised for sale on the various bike ad sources. My new to me 2007 still has the dual high mufflers, but the stock cans have been replaced with Erion racing mufflers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode