Shifting problems? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Question Shifting problems?

Hello All,

I'm a new rider and have only been on the road for about 4 months now.

I have recently started to have problems shifting my 2003 Honda 919. It seems that about half of the time I'm shifting out of first and into second, I get stuck in neutral. On top of that, when I'm going from third to fourth the bike will occasionally stall out (is that the right term?) and boost the RPMs rapidly (almost to the red) until I pull the clutch back in and re-shift.

The bike didn't seem to do this when I first began riding it about 3 months ago. I just can't tell if this is symptom of a loose drive-chain, bad sprocket, or just poor shifting technique on my part.

Any tips?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Interesting.

Make sure you are shifting with some force. I don't mean stomp it up and down, but put a little something behind it.

I've accidentally hit the real neutral and in between gears where it slips out and back to the next gear down a couple times but those have all been my own fault, not the bike.

I'm sure some of the more technically savvy guys will be here shortly to comment on your issue.

Congrats on owning a 919 and welcome to WristTwisters.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Milites Gregarius

I don't claim to be any kind of expert but it may be that you aren't moving the shifter far enough for both probs, I'm pretty sure it's not the chain though that is something you should check from time to time.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I regularly check the chain but just wasn't sure.

I'd much rather it be a problem with my shifting than a problem with the bike!

Thanks for the response, man.

post #5 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Interesting.

Make sure you are shifting with some force. I don't mean stomp it up and down, but put a little something behind it.

I've accidentally hit the real neutral and in between gears where it slips out and back to the next gear down a couple times but those have all been my own fault, not the bike.

I'm sure some of the more technically savvy guys will be here shortly to comment on your issue.

Congrats on owning a 919 and welcome to WristTwisters.
Thanks, a lot.

I'm pretty sure it's my technique, but since I don't know what the symptoms are for a loose drive-chain I just wanted to make sure.

Take care!

post #6 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
CG

You should check your clutch adjustment.

It should have a small amount of free play when you start to pull the lever in.

If it has a lot of free play, the clutch may not be disengaging fully making it harder to get a clean shift.

Also check your shifter linkage and make sure there isn't anything loose or otherwise not right.

Finally, is your oil up to snuff as in not old and nasty?

Seems somewhat unlikely that your shifting technique would all of a sudden deteriorate to me. Could happen but..........

post #7 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

change your oil...

shift with a little bit more "authority"..

and don't short shift... actually get the revs up before you go to another gear... *(over 5-6000 rpm)....

post #8 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The 919's trans is taken directly from a CBR900 sportbike, and racing transmissions do not take kindly to namby pamby shifting. Once the clutch lever is approaching the grip give the shifter a firm push (it takes about 10 pounds of force to accomplish a shift, so shoot for 15 to be sure) and continue to push the shift lever while letting out the clutch lever -- this enables the shift to complete before power is applied. By the way, your problem is relatively common amongst novice riders: once the nervousness of just being on the bike subsides you tend to get a bit sloppy, so all you need to do is pay more attention to your shifting for a couple days to develop your instincts and you'll be good to go from then on.

At least I think that's how it goes -- since I bought my '02 in 2005 it has never been upshifted with the clutch. Down, yes, up, no. Nary a hiccup in over 60,000 miles. Here's a thread on this subject: https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...azy-919-a.html
It adequately explains what's happening inside the 'box when shifting, whether with or without the clutch. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Oh, and change the oil if it's older than 1,500 miles -- it couldn't hurt!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Tirone

check your clutch cable

post #10 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Imaginifer

When I first got my 919 I was hitting a false neutral between 5th and 6. It happened so many times, I took it back to the dealer convinced there was something wrong with it. The mechanic took it for a looong ride and he never had a problem. So I started being very careful and calculated about how I was shifting. I think I was trying to put it in gear before the clutch was all the way engaged. since then, haven't had any problems.

One other time I wasn't shifting right and figured out that I had bought new boots and the were stiff and I wasn't picking my foot up all the way off the shifter.

Hope this helps, good luck.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 04:46 AM
dr1
dr1

16k miles and my gearbox still blows. It could still by my fault but, I think I would have figured it out by now.. lol. I've hit a false nuetral once or twice but that must have been my way of shifting because its never happened since back when I first got it. I dont miss 2nd anymore either... however I think that was the trans breaking in or something honestly. I was never easy on the shift.. and I always wear my steel toe work boots when I ride!! Theres no slop in my upshift! But it eventually stopped trying to 'bounce' out of 2nd. Ride 1st out longer, I think barton is probably right about that. My downshifts still get stuck sometimes.. ive mainly figured that I have to start downshift much sooner when slowing down / coming to a stop. but quick unexpected stops leave me fighting to get my bike downshifted before I put my foot down... since every gear fights me.

post #12 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
change your oil...

shift with a little bit more "authority"..

and don't short shift... actually get the revs up before you go to another gear... *(over 5-6000 rpm)....
See, I've been shifting at around 4,000 rpm. I'll definitely be more authoritative with my shifting.

Thanks.

post #13 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
The 919's trans is taken directly from a CBR900 sportbike, and racing transmissions do not take kindly to namby pamby shifting. Once the clutch lever is approaching the grip give the shifter a firm push (it takes about 10 pounds of force to accomplish a shift, so shoot for 15 to be sure) and continue to push the shift lever while letting out the clutch lever -- this enables the shift to complete before power is applied. By the way, your problem is relatively common amongst novice riders: once the nervousness of just being on the bike subsides you tend to get a bit sloppy, so all you need to do is pay more attention to your shifting for a couple days to develop your instincts and you'll be good to go from then on.

At least I think that's how it goes -- since I bought my '02 in 2005 it has never been upshifted with the clutch. Down, yes, up, no. Nary a hiccup in over 60,000 miles. Here's a thread on this subject: https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...azy-919-a.html
It adequately explains what's happening inside the 'box when shifting, whether with or without the clutch. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Oh, and change the oil if it's older than 1,500 miles -- it couldn't hurt!

Rob
"Namby pamby" shifting, lol!

Thanks, I think it is my shifting. I took it for a long ride last night and made a conscious effort to use more force while shifting and barely had trouble.

post #14 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc919er View Post
When I first got my 919 I was hitting a false neutral between 5th and 6. It happened so many times, I took it back to the dealer convinced there was something wrong with it. The mechanic took it for a looong ride and he never had a problem. So I started being very careful and calculated about how I was shifting. I think I was trying to put it in gear before the clutch was all the way engaged. since then, haven't had any problems.

One other time I wasn't shifting right and figured out that I had bought new boots and the were stiff and I wasn't picking my foot up all the way off the shifter.

Hope this helps, good luck.
I definitely think I've been hitting a false-neutral. To be honest, until I got on this forum, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a false-neutral.

Thanks so much.

post #15 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

i had some of the same problems you've had with the lazy shifting. try taking the shift arm off the engine and move it a couple of splines so the lever is lower(closer to the ground) that way you don't have to move your foot as high to upshift.that helped me ALOT, i must have old,stiff ankles lol

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #16 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Tried the clutchless yesterday - felt pretty good. Thanks to Rob yet again for his great write up and thanks to ouranticipation for posing the question that led to it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode