Seat pad thoughts - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By knicholas

post #1 of 8 Old 05-11-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Seat pad thoughts

Hey folks,

I decided to reupholster my seat, but am gonna shy away from foam work. (I live in a NYC apt and space to shave/file down foam just isn't possible).

A product like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZ3X9G6...=36WKUNNLYCHR7

How silly do you think it will look if I adhere it to the top of my seat. Again, no use trying to integrate it into my existing foam because I have neither the technical skills nor space for that. More importantly, do you think it will work properly?
It's meant to sit on top of bare plastic on a track bike, not sure if it will work on my seat vinyl.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicholas View Post
Hey folks,

I decided to reupholster my seat, but am gonna shy away from foam work. (I live in a NYC apt and space to shave/file down foam just isn't possible).

A product like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZ3X9G6...=36WKUNNLYCHR7

How silly do you think it will look if I adhere it to the top of my seat. Again, no use trying to integrate it into my existing foam because I have neither the technical skills nor space for that. More importantly, do you think it will work properly?
It's meant to sit on top of bare plastic on a track bike, not sure if it will work on my seat vinyl.

Thanks all
I'd be concerned if it's open or closed cell foam. Open cell is like a sponge, having a foam sponge wouldn't be very good.

Otherwise, the attachment can ruin things. I bought a lower helmet cover that was to reduce wind. It was a foam/cloth thing that glued on to the bottom of the helmet and tucked under. It failed and I tried everything to get it to stick. I used epoxy and it still fell apart.

I think if you can get it to stay put, it would be fine, but if it doesn't you can ruin the vinyl on your seat.

What are you trying to do?

If there's a factory vinyl cover, putting it under the vinyl shouldn't be that hard. You don't have to trim as the vinyl will pull it down.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-11-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I'd be concerned if it's open or closed cell foam. Open cell is like a sponge, having a foam sponge wouldn't be very good.

Otherwise, the attachment can ruin things. I bought a lower helmet cover that was to reduce wind. It was a foam/cloth thing that glued on to the bottom of the helmet and tucked under. It failed and I tried everything to get it to stick. I used epoxy and it still fell apart.

I think if you can get it to stay put, it would be fine, but if it doesn't you can ruin the vinyl on your seat.

What are you trying to do?

If there's a factory vinyl cover, putting it under the vinyl shouldn't be that hard. You don't have to trim as the vinyl will pull it down.
Good points, thankfully it's closed cell neoprene and says it's waterproof.

As to the other question, I'm basically using new vinyl to make a new seat cover. My seat cover has some pretty gnarly tears. I figured even if the vinyl pulls it down, it can't pull it down seamlessly. The whole point of it is to add another layer of foam (and ideally raise the seat a tiny bit higher) so my thinking is that the seat cover will still show the imprint of this new foam below it unless it's trimmed and edges blended in.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Good points, thankfully it's closed cell neoprene and says it's waterproof.

As to the other question, I'm basically using new vinyl to make a new seat cover. My seat cover has some pretty gnarly tears. I figured even if the vinyl pulls it down, it can't pull it down seamlessly. The whole point of it is to add another layer of foam (and ideally raise the seat a tiny bit higher) so my thinking is that the seat cover will still show the imprint of this new foam below it unless it's trimmed and edges blended in.
How much it shows really depends on how firm the original and new foam are. The plus is that you'd be adding extra, if you look at some of the motorcycle seat videos on YT, they have to pull the vinyl to get it to lay flat. You'd be adding an extra amount, so you'd be pulling it a bit tighter, which means that the edges will have even more pressure.

If you want a taller seat, you'll have to ease the vinyl out some, you'd be easing it out in one area and not the others. You could heat up the vinyl before and then pull it in.

There's also the case of if you don't pull it very tight, it's just going to drop when you sit on it.

I have a Corbin on one of my 700Ss and a stock on my other 700S. The Corbin is very firm. Remember, you're putting 100~150 lbs on < 1 sq ft.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-15-2017, 07:38 AM
So Far So Good

Coming from a CB750 Nighthawk, I was limited as to my seat options. There were no aftermarket alternatives.

At first, I tried a gel pad. Then went to foam tiles underneath and sponges to spread out the pressure points. I even had the seat professionally reworked ($300) with little improvement. Ended up with a reworked seat, the listed above and a sheep skin cover.
Rode a lot of uncomfortable miles with this set up.
Rain was dealt with by flipping the sheep skin over and under the pillion gear.

I would use anything you can imagine. An old bathroom carpet or whatever you can borrow from other riders and see what works for you.

Do look into handlebar risers as they might change you lower body dynamic.
Hope this helps.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I did this several years ago and it's still there today.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...was-12533.html

It only took a couple of hours and simple tools, electric knife and a sander. You should do most of it outside anyway, because when you sand the foam, static electricity makes it stick to everything.

I have heard really good thing about sheepskin covers, except that it sucks when they get wet.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks folks - good insights all around.

@marylandmike - that is the same mod I was thinking, but I decided against it since I'm in NYC and have no outside space to call my own :'( plus the lady won't be too keen on my doing the foam work indoors.

I decided to just replace the vinyl on the bike. My vinyl is old and brittle and I read on some upholsterer forums that very (emphasis on very) light sanding of the top layer of the foam on older seats can peel off a hardened layer. That combined with more supple, pliant vinyl will, I hope, make a bit of a difference. If that fails, I'll ship it off to Spencer over the winter.

I'm also installing CyclePirates 360 adjustable footpegs this week and think that will help me adjust my long legs so that my butt/thighs sit more evenly on the seat. I'll follow up here and let folks know what these changes do in case some are considering it as well.

Cheers!
marylandmike likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Thanks folks - good insights all around.

@marylandmike - that is the same mod I was thinking, but I decided against it since I'm in NYC and have no outside space to call my own :'( plus the lady won't be too keen on my doing the foam work indoors.

I decided to just replace the vinyl on the bike. My vinyl is old and brittle and I read on some upholsterer forums that very (emphasis on very) light sanding of the top layer of the foam on older seats can peel off a hardened layer. That combined with more supple, pliant vinyl will, I hope, make a bit of a difference. If that fails, I'll ship it off to Spencer over the winter.

I'm also installing CyclePirates 360 adjustable footpegs this week and think that will help me adjust my long legs so that my butt/thighs sit more evenly on the seat. I'll follow up here and let folks know what these changes do in case some are considering it as well.

Cheers!
That makes a lot of sense on sanding the hardened layer off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode