Sato Carbon Exhaust - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Sato Carbon Exhaust

Greetings to the old regulars on here (it's been a while) and hello to everyone new.

Haven't hardly touched my bike the last two years (work) but now in a new location and the bike was brought over here last weekend (Red Wing, MN).

Looking to re-pack my Sato cans and wondering if anyone has a lead on new rivots and possibly bands if I were to need them?

Thanks,

Cal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Anyone???

post #3 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

No idea on the rivets, I would imagine they're probably standard 1/8" rivets but I don't know.
Welcome back, I remember your avatar

Dan

post #4 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 04:27 PM
The Cripple

Contact LDH. He'll be your best bet for sourcing them.

post #5 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Tirone

When I packed my Gen 2 Sato's I went with Moose repack kits 14234 as another had recommended on an old thread here somewhere. Seemed to work out fine and still holding after 2 seasons. That kit description mentions 3/16 rivets.
As for the bands I was careful and was able to reuse them.

"Kit contains 1/4"-thick 60" x 20" glass mat, 7" x 20" stainless wool, 8" x 20" stainless mesh, 12 3/16" rivets, and full instructions
Made in the U.S.A."

post #6 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfixer View Post
When I packed my Gen 2 Sato's I went with Moose repack kits 14234 as another had recommended on an old thread here somewhere. Seemed to work out fine and still holding after 2 seasons. That kit description mentions 3/16 rivets.
As for the bands I was careful and was able to reuse them.

"Kit contains 1/4"-thick 60" x 20" glass mat, 7" x 20" stainless wool, 8" x 20" stainless mesh, 12 3/16" rivets, and full instructions
Made in the U.S.A."
+1 this is what I used. Right after I was done, Sato emailed me and said they had the packing core kits available for 35$ each. Doh! My cores were still solid, so I was good with the Moose packing. You can just go buy a cheap rivet gun from harbour freight or similar. They usually come with rivets. As far as the straps..not sure. Just be careful and you can keep them nice.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Tirone

I found a guy on the RC51 forums that is selling bands with the rivets. Here is the classified ad. I just purchased 4 off him and they fit and look great. Even though the post is old, he still has some. I received them last weekend and installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg74 View Post
Greetings to the old regulars on here (it's been a while) and hello to everyone new.

Haven't hardly touched my bike the last two years (work) but now in a new location and the bike was brought over here last weekend (Red Wing, MN).

Looking to re-pack my Sato cans and wondering if anyone has a lead on new rivots and possibly bands if I were to need them?

Thanks,

Cal

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” - Ernest Hemingway
post #8 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

If you buy your own rivets, I would go with stainless steel ones instead of Aluminum. They will hold up much better.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Thanks guys, my cans are back home (200 miles away) and looking at the guy from RC51 what size bands would I need? Thinking the wider one and they still are in good shape (look like new) so maybe I don't need them?

Didn't know on the rivet size though and want to keep everything looking as they should.

post #10 of 10 Old 04-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg74 View Post
Thanks guys, my cans are back home (200 miles away) and looking at the guy from RC51 what size bands would I need? Thinking the wider one and they still are in good shape (look like new) so maybe I don't need them?

Didn't know on the rivet size though and want to keep everything looking as they should.
Yeah you will need the wide bands. Just be aware that the new ones do not have the mesh design like the original, so if you want them to match you have to replace all of them.

My inner cores were rotten, so if are pulling yours apart you might want to investigate how to fix that right away.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” - Ernest Hemingway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode