RX2 almost installed - need help! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

RX2 almost installed - need help!

Hey all,

I have everything installed and working on the koso rx2 except a couple things. I am going to do a post for what I did on the my bike including 5 3/4 duel headlights, meter and windscreen. But I only have a couple of questions about the speedo.

1 - Can I wire my ground to the ground that comes off the harness? There are 3 Green wires that run together which went to the gauge lights. I was going to wire my ground to that pin on the connector. I just didn't want to run to the frame or to the battery.

2 - I think this has been discussed in prior posts but not clearly. I have a br/blk and blk/brn coming off the old gauge for fuel reserve indicator. It says in the instructions that you could blow the gauge if you wire this wrong. I was going to run the blk/br to the new gauge. Would this be right?

3- Since there are multiple wires for oil and water temp I guess I will have to use the sensors provided?

Here is the connector map I made if it helps.

connector drawing.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Need money for parts.

point 1 - yes, 2 seasons of riding wired like this and no issues
point 2 - not sure, never connected
point 3 - you have to use the included sensors. leave the oem ones alone. they feed the ecu with necessary info

post #3 of 10 Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphoebus View Post
Hey all,

I have everything installed and working on the koso rx2 except a couple things. I am going to do a post for what I did on the my bike including 5 3/4 duel headlights, meter and windscreen. But I only have a couple of questions about the speedo.

1 - Can I wire my ground to the ground that comes off the harness? There are 3 Green wires that run together which went to the gauge lights. I was going to wire my ground to that pin on the connector. I just didn't want to run to the frame or to the battery.

2 - I think this has been discussed in prior posts but not clearly. I have a br/blk and blk/brn coming off the old gauge for fuel reserve indicator. It says in the instructions that you could blow the gauge if you wire this wrong. I was going to run the blk/br to the new gauge. Would this be right?

3- Since there are multiple wires for oil and water temp I guess I will have to use the sensors provided?

Here is the connector map I made if it helps.

Attachment 23043
The Black / Brown wire is switched battery voltage for logic power to the original instruments. Applying +12V to the constant current generator that is used to read the fuel gauge sending unit would seriously damage the gauge. In point of fact there is no reason why the Green (Koso) fuel sense lead needs to be connected to anything in this application -- the 919 uses a thermistor to sense low fuel, and it is incompatible with the Koso fuel gauge driver. Connecting it will not damage the gauge in any way, but wouldn't do any good either. If the Green wire is not connected the fuel gauge readout will not be on.

The Brown / Black is the feed from the low fuel sensor in the tank.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

post #4 of 10 Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So there is no way to attach fuel sensor?

post #5 of 10 Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Rob ^^ made a thermistor specifically to work with the 919/Koso combo. The first one is currently with Helimech, but was used by Arctic and myself on the same gauges and worked flawlessly.

Not sure if he made more than one, but a PM to him with some $$ might egg him into making another

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Need money for parts.

Order through his website. Link in his signature.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

ok, im a mook. i can't find rob's website...

post #8 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Imaginifer

He did indeed make more than one....i have one on my turbo bike.
I didnt buy it directly from Rob though as it was already on a bike that i purchased.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #9 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Need money for parts.

http://tharengineering.com/electroni...nstrumentation

Posted all this from my phone. Can't tell if it's still in his signature. Sorry!

post #10 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I took these videos a long time ago when installing my Koso gauges - just found them, thought they might help.

I did this because the gauges I received from Arctic were from a 2002 bike, but the harness on my '07 was different, so I had to swap harnesses and move the wires in the harness to match the '02 configuration.

Gauges pin layout for Honda 919 2002 vs 2007 - YouTube

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode