Running rough - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 08-09-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Running rough

I have a 2002 919 that I purchased about a year ago with 30K miles and unknown maintenance history. It started running rough last week, and got progressively worse, so I replaced the plugs (NGK) this weekend. Ran beautifully (night and day difference) yesterday, but started stumbling on the way in to work this morning. It stumbles at low RPMs and then clears up as the revs increase. I imagine it'll start stumbling all the time (like last week). I definitely smell unburned gas in the exhaust as well.

So, I'm looking for suggestions from you knowledgeable ones. I'm wondering if the plug(s) are somehow getting fouled - as opposed to there being a lack of spark. Should I invest in an HF noid light to check for spark? Pull the plugs and inspect (I have no experience evaluating them)? Other ideas?

BTW - I did purchase the factory plug remover, and I gotta say, between it, and my wife's midget-sized hands, getting the plugs out was a breeze!

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-09-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
After more perusing of other threads, here's my (un)educated guess as to what's going on:

My fuel pressure regulator is bad. This results in rough idle, which clears up (initially on my new plugs) at higher RPMs. Over time (a day for me), the plugs get fouled enough that they stop firing at higher RPMs as well. This theory seems to fit my situation, so I'm going to see if the FPR is bad, and probably replace it any case as it seems to be a weak point in general for the 919.

Feel free to comment, and I'll let you know what I find.

Bob

post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Left of Centre

This hasn't happened to my bike, but I'd say from my reading of the reports of how this goes, you are right on top of it, here. Hope it's a relatively quick fix.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

It's easy to check, lift the tank and pull the vacuum line off, if it's bad fuel will run out

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Thanks. I'll check in a couple hours when I get home and let you know what I see.

post #6 of 12 Old 08-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Also #2 & #3 plugs will be the ones that foul as that's where the FPR gets it's vacuum.

post #7 of 12 Old 08-09-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
OK - ready to check, but have a question:
Should I remove the FPR (i.e. the 2 bolts) to make it easy to get at the vacuum line, or is it possible to unplug it w/out removing? It looks like a tight fit back there.

post #8 of 12 Old 08-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

You should be able to remove the vacuum line without taking anything else off

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #9 of 12 Old 08-09-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Well, no obvious gas dripping out. I guess it could be farther down the line? It has a slight gas smell. I guess at this point I'll just order a new one and see what happens. Preventative maintenance at worst.

post #10 of 12 Old 08-10-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Ordered the FPR (16740-MCZ-013 REGULATOR, PRESSURE (American Honda) $59.87) and O-Ring (16741-PG7-005 O-RING (American Honda) $2.49) from partzilla. I'll update when I have it installed.

post #11 of 12 Old 08-22-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
SOLVED!

Good news (so far). I replaced the FPR, and after about 30 seconds of idling, the roughness disappeared. I have put on about 25 miles since then, and everything looks good. I did not change the plugs - as they only had about 10 miles on them (I hoped that wasn't enough time for them to become fouled).

I'll let you know if anything changes for the worse. Thanks for everybody's help!!

post #12 of 12 Old 08-22-2016, 03:41 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Glad you got her sorted out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode