Roadside puncture repair - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Left of Centre

Roadside puncture repair

So, I have been carrying one of these kits with me for a long time in my tank bag as a kind of lucky charm against getting a puncture. However, yesterday for the first time in many years I caught a puncture out on the open road. I was about as far away from home as I was going to get on this particular trip, so it was potentially a bit of a problem.

Fortunately, I was able to pull into a gas station next to an air line and reinflate the tyre to find the puncture. It was a slice in the groove of the tyre and the air rushed out, making it perfectly obvious where the hole was.

I had never done the road side plug repair thing before but I set about it according to the instructions in the little kit. I didn't need the CO2 cartridges because of the airline right beside me, but I used the tools, the glue and the sticky plugs as per the instructions and, to my great surprise, the repair [ugly as it was - see pic!] held the air pressure after I fixed it.

I gave it the spit-and-bubble test and checked the pressure again after a few minutes and set off in the direction of home with 250 km to travel. I stopped at a tyre repair place not far up the road to ask if they could do anything different without taking the tyre off the bike and they said they could only do exactly as I had. As a precaution, I bought a can of foaming tube glue and checked the pressure one last time.

3 hours later, I had arrived home and the tyre was still holding pressure and I got there without further incident. As I said, I have never used one of these kits before but I have to say that I won't be travelling very far without it in the future.

The tyre is now away having a proper repair done by an authorized dealership [if that's possible] so I hope to have it back in good condition before too long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2529.jpg (249.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2530.jpg (213.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2531.jpg (278.8 KB, 37 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Yoshis=me smiling

Nice to see that is worked out. I've plugged car and truck tires with the same results and drove on them for 1000s on miles. It worries me on the bike as others have said the stress on the tire is much greater while cornering hard.

02' 919
85' cb450 (wife's)
78' cb550 project
84' z50r son's
09 trx90 daughter's
post #3 of 8 Old 07-16-2014, 03:59 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice job. I also carry a kit with a mini-compressor. Haven't needed it yet.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Just my opinion, but I won't ride on a plugged motorcycle tire except to get far enough down the road to have a new tire mounted.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
Just my opinion, but I won't ride on a plugged motorcycle tire except to get far enough down the road to have a new tire mounted.
Given that the original puncture didn't cause a rapid deflation but more of a slow leak, I figured that any failure in the plug would put me back in that situation, and that I would have time to notice the drop in pressure in the tyre before anything critical was likely to happen.

I inflated it a bit more than normal, to make it ride quite hard, and periodically rode over some inconsistency in the road surface, or a glued-down reflector, to test the feel at the back of the bike.

As time went on, I became more confident that the fix would hold up all the way home; if the plug could hold the pressure for one hour, then two, why should it fail after three? It's just pressure, and the plug knows no difference.

I see your concern, and share it - after all, the tyre is now away for a proper fix; I don't propose living with the plug indefinitely - but I didn't take the Isle of Man approach to my ride home, and if there had been any sign of deflation I would have stopped and dealt with it. There wasn't, and I was both surprised and pleased to get all the way home without another stop.

You wouldn't do it that way? Fine with me.

post #6 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Front tire I would plug, ride, then replace. Rear - well, I have plugged one, and even rode on a plugged tire for about 2k miles. Sold the tire with the bike, even forgot to mention anything to the new owner. Heck, I even tried to find the plug after so many miles and couldn't see it anymore, it had just blended in with everything else.

If the plug was near the sidewall, then no - it would have to be replaced. No way I'd want that blowing out mid-corner.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #7 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Left of Centre

The local procedure as it was described to me is that the orig hole is indeed plugged, then backed up with a patch inside the carcass of the tyre. It seems to me that the load of the pressure is then taken predominantly by the patch, with the plug stopping any further deterioration of the tyre, both interior and exterior. But the presence of the patch means that the plug can't suddenly be extruded by the air pressure inside the tyre.

This is all new to me, and I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it, but the tyre guys weren't shaking their heads and sucking their teeth about it, by any means.

post #8 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

I have plugged my rear tire on numerous bikes all thanks to the NJ turnpike. As long as the puncture is right on the tire crown & no where close to the sidewall, I have continued to ride it. On my FZ1 I plugged my rear Pirelli Diablo Strada twice & did 2 track days on it, sold the bike with it, the PO sold the bike as well with the same tire & never had any problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode