rivetted chain or master-link - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

rivetted chain or master-link

I'm needing a new chain, and my shop guy is telling me to go ahead and buy a master-link type chain. He says, "come on, everyone's doing it...give it a try!" but I don't know....I think I should probably spend the extra money for a chain breaker/setter and just do it. Opinions anyone?

I'm liking the D.I.D. 530ZVM X'ring Chain, where's the best/cheapest place to buy one? Should I buy a 112 link for my 919 and hope I can make i work, or stick with the 114 link? should I get the 17t front sprock while I'm at it...things to ponder.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 09:56 AM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You did not indicate your experience level, so forgive me if this is off base.

I am a novice in my first year of owning my 9er. I purchased the gold DID ZVM 530 and a Motion Pro Jumbo chain tool through Dan Kyle Racing. Their prices and service (read: "free advice") were absolutely best-in-class.

If you go this route, there are several good threads to walk you through the process.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 10:03 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I used this screw link with easy results. No chain tool required and a bit safer than a clip type. EK Motorcycle & ATV Chain

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

post #4 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 AM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Should I buy a 112 link for my 919 and hope I can make i work, or stick with the 114 link? should I get the 17t front sprock while I'm at it...things to ponder.
I stayed with the 114. Since I have the chain tool, I can always go to the 112 later. Primary advantage of the 112 is the shorter wheel base for better handling, but I ain't pushing the handling characteristics of the bike to where I would notice the difference just yet.

As for 17t, some are willing to sacrifice a touch of the torque for slightly better mpg and slightly less buzz at the top. Personally, my commute is only 10 miles so neither argument carries enough weight for me to make the change.

post #5 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Go with the safe option.

A friend lost a chain during a ride recently. He used a master-link rather than riveting. He was advised to rivet by some other friends and poo-pooed the idea as unnecessary. Three weeks later he's riding biotch on my bike so we can go get a trailer

Please rivet and avoid cutting a nice day's ride short for yourself and others.

BTW -
As the chain exited his bike, it took out chunks and broke other important parts. He's still working on getting it fixed.
I stopped counting how many times he has since said that he should have riveted.

post #6 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

It is safe to use clip-style master link; if you put it on properly. I wouldn't hesitate putting one on a road bike.

Make sure the open end of the clip goes 'away' from the rotating direction (i.e. toward the rear of the bike when in top position) . Also put a dob of silicone on it to keep it from vibrating loose. That is it.

post #7 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
Go with the safe option.

A friend lost a chain during a ride recently. He used a master-link rather than riveting. He was advised to rivet by some other friends and poo-pooed the idea as unnecessary. Three weeks later he's riding biotch on my bike so we can go get a trailer

Please rivet and avoid cutting a nice day's ride short for yourself and others.

BTW -
As the chain exited his bike, it took out chunks and broke other important parts. He's still working on getting it fixed.
I stopped counting how many times he has since said that he should have riveted.
Excellent post TT. If you lucky the chain will only damage the bike, imagine what happens if God forbid it gets caught up in the rear wheel! I have repaired many a engine case which was taken out by a clip type master link.

TT: Take a few pics of the broken bike parts, I will add it with a head-up to the 919 Helpful Topics.

Clip vs. Rivet

post #8 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

As to my experience level, I've never rivetted a chain before, but I think I'll be learning!

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
As to my experience level, I've never rivetted a chain before, but I think I'll be learning!
Be sure to have a vernier caliper handy. it is quite an easy task. Just take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions first. the rivet will at least give you some confidence that your joint will not seperate.

post #10 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 AM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisco919 View Post
Be sure to have a vernier caliper handy. it is quite an easy task. Just take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions first. the rivet will at least give you some confidence that your joint will not seperate.
I posted a thread about this whole process, including pictures. The Search function just isn't returning it at the moment. As soon as it does, I will add the link. As Wisco says, you will have to invest in the caliper (or borrow one).

post #11 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post

TT: Take a few pics of the broken bike parts, I will add it with a head-up to the 919 Helpful Topics.
I do not have a camera. However, the guy with the broken bike is an amateur photographer and a think I can get some images.

I do have a pic of him climbing on the back of my bike, and I'll post it
We were doing a LARGE group ride... about 20 of us out for the day in the Texas hill country. The chain event cut the ride a bit short for a bunch of people.

post #12 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I'm needing a new chain, and my shop guy is telling me to go ahead and buy a master-link type chain. He says, "come on, everyone's doing it...give it a try!" but I don't know....I think I should probably spend the extra money for a chain breaker/setter and just do it. Opinions anyone?

I'm liking the D.I.D. 530ZVM X'ring Chain, where's the best/cheapest place to buy one? Should I buy a 112 link for my 919 and hope I can make i work, or stick with the 114 link? should I get the 17t front sprock while I'm at it...things to ponder.
I don' believe a clip type masterlink is even availible for the D.I.D. 530ZVM X-ring chain. It's a revit link only deal.

Professional
post #13 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisco919 View Post
I've got a vernier caliper...not sure what to do with it in this application though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
I posted a thread about this whole process, including pictures. The Search function just isn't returning it at the moment. As soon as it does, I will add the link. As Wisco says, you will have to invest in the caliper (or borrow one).
If you find it, that would be fabulous. I did look for one, but obviously it wasnt wanting to be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
I don' believe a clip type masterlink is even availible for the D.I.D. 530ZVM X-ring chain. It's a revit link only deal.
You are correct Sir! My shop dude was tryin to fob off a cheaper/less-gooder chain on me.

"The Shadow"
post #14 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #15 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Muy mucho bueno! Gracias Senor!

"The Shadow"
post #16 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Muy mucho bueno! Gracias Senor!
de nada... fue un placer

post #17 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 05:34 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

I know the master link chains are "old school" but i've racked up 78,000 + miles on my bike with Duckworth, Diamond, and Tsubaki Super chains without one chain issue. They are all master linked chains. If they are installed properly, whats the concern ?

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #18 of 18 Old 05-22-2009, 07:22 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
here is nesty's how to on chain replacement...

https://wristtwisters.com/mechanical-...ice-notes.html
Thanks, Brian. Who did you bl...never mind.

Shadow, make sure you read the whole thread. I screwed the pooch first time through and made some changes which are described towards the end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode