Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Rivet link - is this ok

11K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  andrewebay1 
#1 ·
I put a new chain and sprokets on my 9er WEEKS AGO, and have been waiting for my rivet tool to come in, but its on back order and summer is almost over, got to get out riding. I did it with a c clamp and tip from a flare tool. But i have never used a rivet chain link so I am wondering if you guys think this looks ok.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The rivets look flush with the holes, which makes me think it won't hold under power. The rivet tool will crush the ends to kind of flare them - to keep them from backing out. Why not run up to a shop or find someone local that'll let you borrow their tool?

#6 · (Edited)
^ ouch! No, that is NOT ok...

Yeah...that masterlink should get replaced, now. Once a rivet gets cracked or peened badly like that, it will tend to bind up improperly and could break unexpectedly.

once you have a proper chain tool it will be easier to set the rivets properly. The "pro" way of finding out when enough is enough is to use a dial caliper to measure the mushroomed out head of the rivet. IIRC, .030 is the measurement to squish it to.

#8 ·
You are looking for a yes answer. I couldn't give it.

Shadow's got the 411 down.

It's not unheard of fucking up a link. In my estimation, you made a pretty good stab at it for not having the proper tool.

#11 · (Edited)
I think it would be ok to ride gingerly with that, but only until the replacement arrives...I'm not endorsing it, just giving an assessment. If you choose to ride it like that, it's on your head.

Honestly, it's hard to tell what it would do which is the problem. It could be fine for a long time, or it could fail after 5 miles. That's the reason for the strict manufacturer's spec on it...

Be careful out there!

#12 ·
if you are that hard up for a ride, I know some people think its Taboo, but geta freaking clip link and call it a day... Some people will freak out you cant do that it will fail yada yada... I know I rode about 30k miles on one no issues on my 919 in every condition imaginable...

#15 ·
get a new master link, take the rear tire off (or at least pull the chain off the rear sprocket) so the chain can lay on the ground, place a BIG sledge hammer behind the master, then take a small ball peen hammer and tap on the rivets to mushroom em out... not the proper way but will get the job done just as good (just make sure to not clamp the plate too tight to begin with)

#20 ·
Fascinating, guys!!!!

In order to loosen up a stuck link that is too tightly crimped, bend the chain laterally with the master link in the center of the bend.

#25 ·
I went out and bought the RK Chain break / riveting tool with 2 friends. Best chain tool I have ever used and when split 3 ways it was $30.

I paid the extra $10 for shipping so it lives at my house. :yes:

I have done it the shade tree way with c-clamps and the like, but there is no replacement for a well made tool designed to the job.

#26 ·
I tried all the above methods with my master and just ended up making it worse. I finally bought the chain tool and am glad I did. I am sure some of the other methods work but I was uneasy with how it looked. Here's how mine turned out with the motion pro tool.

Automotive tire Artifact Auto part Tints and shades Automotive wheel system
Crankset Automotive tire Gear Light Vehicle brake

#29 ·
This may be a little late, but in the meantime put a clip link on it and silicone it in place. It will be better than what you have. For additional peace of mind, wrap the clip link and the plate it's with, with many turns of fishing line before siliconing it. This will ensure that the clip will stay on. Also, one edge of the clip is sharper than the other. Install the sharp edge facing out.

In close to forty years of using clips on my motorcycles, I've yet to have a single one come off, despite horror stories to the contrary of how dangerous they are. Clips only come off if the installer puts them on incorrectly, and there are many ways of doing just that.

#30 ·
#32 ·
Not a whole lot publicity for EK screw types, but it works just like a rivet link. The screw portion is just for installation and doesn't actually hold the link in place.

I've never used it but it seems the VFR guys are getting good reviews from it. Chain Master Links - VFR Discussion
There's a guy on that thread that said he was able to use it with a DID chain as well.

Here's a step by step on someone installing the screw-type:
Screw-type Master Link Install and Test - VFR Discussion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.