reversing the shifter. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

reversing the shifter.

So I've decided that in order to make sure that my wife's 929 does not have a repeat from the year before last, I have decided that I'm going to start riding her bike to work in addition to my 9er. She has her shifter reversed on her bike, and I am not allowed to make changes (go figure). Since I'm easy-going and not set in my ways, can I just flip the bracket 180 degrees to have mine be the same as hers, or would this require some other change I'm not thinking of (Her bike has sato rearsets, while mine are stock)?

I'm mainly looking at this for ease of use. I just dislike having to remind my self that 1st gear is up on her bike, and downshifting when I'm trying to upshift can be a little too exciting at times, so I'd rather have both our bikes be the same if it's an easy switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Milites Gregarius

your wife has GP style shift? does she also ride faster than you do? haha i am kidding

pull the small arm of the shifter shaft and turn it 180* and put it back on....... adjust the lever position.

post #3 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemond View Post
your wife has GP style shift? does she also ride faster than you do? haha i am kidding

pull the small arm of the shifter shaft and turn it 180* and put it back on....... adjust the lever position.

Weeeeellll, I think I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to speed up and get more comfortable, but yeah, she does

glad to know it's just an easy flip around.

post #4 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 02:50 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

It's the first thing that I did on the 919. Just be careful, the stock rear sets on the 919 are low - I've scraped the shift lever. But it's in my 'natural' position, so I really don't want to adjust it any higher.

post #5 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Optio

Here you go. Simplest GP shift there is: install a NOS shifter from an old CB750. Fits perfect on the 919. Probably the 929, as well, but just guessing. Also solves the bolt-falling-out problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shifter2.jpg (199.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg shifter.jpg (187.8 KB, 35 views)

post #6 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

VFR shifters are kind of like that. That's how I had my RC51 set up.

post #7 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i fall flat on my face every time i get on a bike with a "traditional" aka moto gp style shifter ... after riding normal shift patterns for so long i dunno how you can transfer lol.

DOWN shift is called DOWN SHIFT for a reason :P

post #8 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
When my guy and I go out on my bike, he always seems to forget that I rock the reversed shift pattern. I have taken to waiting for him to f*up, then quietly chortling to myself under my helmet when it happens.

post #9 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
i fall flat on my face every time i get on a bike with a "traditional" aka moto gp style shifter ... after riding normal shift patterns for so long i dunno how you can transfer lol.

DOWN shift is called DOWN SHIFT for a reason :P
It's track time for you. Then come back to this thread.

post #10 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
It's track time for you. Then come back to this thread.
id rock a normal shifter on the track.... no way i could ever go to upside down moto gp.... i ride dirbikes way too much which all have a normal shift pattern.

post #11 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Optio

Took me a minute to get used to the "upsidedownness" of it, but I prefer GP shift now. Fo sho!

post #12 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The first time I had to deal with the reverse shifting was also the first time I ever got on a sport bike (Her 929). I had to move her bike to our new housing unit on base, and thought I was doing ok, and figured I'd open it up a little on the road out to our new place, since it was nice and long, and devoid of MPs. So I went to shift and gassed it pretty good, but I went down to 2nd instead of up to 4th. Front wheel came up a wee bit, and I nearly pooped myself.

post #13 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

So....never known anyone, rode with anyone, or talked to anyone in person who has done this. What have I been missing out on all these years.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #14 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The only thing I've noticed is that it makes upshifting quickly pretty easy, as you're just tapping on the shifter instead of pulling it up...

post #15 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The whole point of this is when you are leaning hard enough in a left hand turn to drag the pegs you can't get your foot under the shifter to up shift coming out of the turn. You pretty much always downshift into lower gears before entering the turn then you need to start shifting back up again as you begin to come out. So it's much easier or possible if you can press down on the shifter rather than trying to pull up.

post #16 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

that's what I was thinking

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #17 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

GP shift is not nearly as hard to get used to as many think. All it takes is to flip your link arm and go out on a ride to a big parking lot, or maybe bring a 10mm wrench with you to flip it when you get there for the GP shift phobic. Once the arm is flipped ride around the parking lot while rowing the trans up and down -- without looking at the shifter or taching it out. Within an hour or so it will become ingrained sufficiently to take it to the street. Within a week of regular riding it becomes second nature.

I had an advantage in that over the 20 or so years before making the switch I had ridden literally hundreds of different motorcycles with the shifter on both sides, though never GP shift pattern, and found acclimation quite easy. Still made the occasional mistake for the first month, but that became the rare exception rather than the rule. Since then I have reversed the shifter on every bike I've ever owned, and in fact made the switch before riding my '02 -- never rode it with the conventional pattern.

Of course I can also ride a conventionally shifted bike with no problem as well, a side effect of riding so many different bikes.

Go for it -- but know that GP shift will not necessarily help you to keep up with a 929 regardless of the gender of the rider.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #18 of 26 Old 10-01-2011, 11:11 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
The whole point of this is when you are leaning hard enough in a left hand turn to drag the pegs you can't get your foot under the shifter to up shift coming out of the turn. You pretty much always downshift into lower gears before entering the turn then you need to start shifting back up again as you begin to come out. So it's much easier or possible if you can press down on the shifter rather than trying to pull up.
For the few turns that ever so few riders will ever need to do an upshift while really banked over, I'm not so keen on the GP pattern. A blown downshift netting a false neutral will get you into more trouble going into a turn on a track, than the GP pattern will ever give you as advantage for that rare situation. If I ever find myself needing to regularly have to upshift at some point on a track, but can't with standard pattern, then I'll change. If not, I'm sticking with "tap down for down". Conversely, someone interested in drag strip shifting would surely love the GP pattern.

post #19 of 26 Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Tirone

This is cool ive wondered if i could do this. Heck ive scraped my foot 3 times i can think about no four times on the street.

post #20 of 26 Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02hornetrider View Post
This is cool ive wondered if i could do this. Heck ive scraped my foot 3 times i can think about no four times on the street.
It's a super easy thing to change, and you get used to after about 10 minutes on the road. I never had to deal with the foot scraping thing, but it sounds freaky.

post #21 of 26 Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02hornetrider View Post
If you're scraping feet on the street, your riding posture is the problem fyi, not the shift lever.

post #22 of 26 Old 05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

If you're scraping feet on the street, your riding posture is the problem fyi, not the shift lever.
You're right. I've done it as well with the oem rearsets. At a red light, turning left and foot is under the shifter ready to go into second gear. Foot gets caught between the peg and the road once you lean over. Scary! Don't put your foot under there.

Spoiler:

post #23 of 26 Old 05-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Or put your foot up on the pegs on the ball of the foot, where it belongs.

I did scrape pegs on the T at the track, and even with the peg feelers on, that's still a ways down (for me). Much easier on the 919.

I've since put on non-folding pegs via aftermarket rearsets, but I don't plan on scraping those - I plan on working on my body position so I don't have to.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #24 of 26 Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Tirone

Yea it made me pucker up the first time then made me mad i scuffed my forces threw my sock

post #25 of 26 Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

Hell! Everything on my Gix is upside down, nothing new here

:buell:
post #26 of 26 Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Tirone

Well in my last post i meant through...
So i switched it and missed 1st for neutral, adjusted a few notches and perfect...deffenitly allows for a faster shift i noticed in my mile ride home...so far so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode