Replace just rear or both tires? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Replace just rear or both tires?

I got a nail in my tire already

I think I'm going to get the Metzler z6. Should I just replace the back or both tires... money IS an issue here. Dealer said not to just replace the back.

I trust you guys over what a dealer says!

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Is the front worn out?

If not, then dont replace it.

Spoiler:
post #3 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

As long as your not mixing brands of tires ( yes, there are some people who will dispute this, but, it is widly known and adknowledged that different tire compaines use different profiles on thier tires ) , your golden to just replace the rear. Unless of the front is totally whooped -

post #4 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Greg

Metzelers are DESIGNED to be paired with other Metzelers for optimal performance. I buy mine in pairs. Michelins are in the attic just in case .....BUT I do understand budget considerations.

post #5 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
As long as your not mixing brands of tires ( yes, there are some people who will dispute this, but, it is widly known and adknowledged that different tire compaines use different profiles on thier tires ) , your golden to just replace the rear. Unless of the front is totally whooped -
I am not saying your wrong, but I its not the end of the world if you have different brands. I ran a Pirelli Diablo front and a Pilot 2ct rear for about 5k miles with no problems. So ideal? No. Ok? Yes.

Spoiler:
post #6 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspiece919 View Post
I am not saying your wrong, but I its not the end of the world if you have different brands. I ran a Pirelli Diablo front and a Pilot 2ct rear for about 5k miles with no problems. So ideal? No. Ok? Yes.
Yeah, you may be able to do that , but, you shouldnt !

But really, something like that is closer, if you went with like a Diablo Corsa III or even a Diablo Rosso and a Dunlop, youd really notice it - With the Dunlops more round profile and a Michelin/Pirelli/Metzler more triangular, youd really notice it more.

Is this even what your asking pianopraze ?

post #7 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 12:51 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

If you have to run two different brand tires for a little bit because of budget constraints, you got to do what you got to do. It will not be the end of the world. Just note what was said above about different tire profiles before you try to go canyon carving or track racing. If you chose to, you can buy a matching front sometime down the road and try to sell your used front to help buffer the cost. Post it up here with assorted info (miles, brand, condition, and maybe even a few pics), I am pretty sure someone else might snatch it up. If no one does, keep it for a rainy day. Like when you get a nail in the front tire and don't have money for a new one right away.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #8 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I have 600 miles on it.

Right now they are whatever sucky tires came new Bridgstone I think... yes I just bought my 07 new last month! So I will be leaving the Bridgstone front and replaceing the rear with a metzler z6

edit... i just general ride, not canyon carve or track...
edit edit... btw May Man I'm bying the z6 on your recommendation from the other thread!

post #9 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 02:58 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

I have this tire for about 2k and so far I like it

Shinko 005 Advance Rear Tire - Street Bike - Tires - Motorcycle Superstore

post #10 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 03:25 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
I have 600 miles on it.

Right now they are whatever sucky tires came new Bridgstone I think... yes I just bought my 07 new last month!
If you haven't seen this on the site yet, you should check the front tire's manufacturing date. Look for a small oval indented into the sidewall, apart from the other numbers, with a 4-digit number like "0105", which would mean the tire was made the first week in 2005. If your Bridgestones started out that ancient, that's another argument in favor of biting the bullet and replacing it. After 4+ years, the tire's old before it gets its first mile on it. It's just not as sticky as it ought to be.

The new 2007 919 I bought a couple weeks ago has late 2006 Michelins on it, so I got lucky, even though those Hi-Sports don't seem to be terribly well regarded by the folks here.

post #11 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I just don't have the money.

I will replace front when I can. This is my 4th motorcycle. I have never had one with tires I disliked... these suck/slip all over the place. Never had such a slippery rear end on any bike and I HOPE it is the tires not the bike. I am absolutely paranoid about cornering now. I always scraped the pegs off my Suzukies and never had a fear. I slow down and take the corners as strait up as I can now on my 919.

post #12 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

well.... i hate to say it

Spoiler:
i told you those bt56's were slipperier than greased owl shiiit....

post #13 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post

Spoiler:

you say that everytime, but no one listens

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #14 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
you say that everytime, but no one listens
i know... i know.... sighhh...

anyone wanna glass of kool-aid???????

post #15 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post

Spoiler:
...did i ever disagree?

I thought you responded with your quote to my post complaining about how slippery my stock tire was?

post #16 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
...did i ever disagree?

I thought you responded with your quote to my post complaining about how slippery my stock tire was?
nope.. you never disagreed... there were a couple a rocket mechanics on here that said those stock tires were good....

i busted my ass one morning because of those slippery junky tires.....

i am glad you discovered how bad they are without getting hurt or scratching your bike...

btw.... check with cycle gear they have some smoking deals sometimes.. i recently got frt and rear pirelli diablos (awesome tires) for 250 mounted and balanced... that price was for both tires...

post #17 of 27 Old 07-11-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

The tires slipped the first corner I took leaving the store....

I chalked that up to having been in the shop and got oil on them... then they slipped every time I hit the littlest fix in the road (those black oily ones they do instead of paving it right)... then i noticed it slipped in corners not even going hard..... so i gave up trying to drive hard and stay as upright as I could... and darn if they didn't continue to slip at every conceivable possible minute condition that could cause a tire to slip...

The nail in the tire is a blessing really. Probably saved my life or bike at the least.

post #18 of 27 Old 07-11-2009, 07:10 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I have this tire for about 2k and so far I like it

Shinko 005 Advance Rear Tire - Street Bike - Tires - Motorcycle Superstore
i've had them for 3000 mi and i'm very happy you can't even tell there's any wear on them and it'll powerwheelie on wet roads so i'm happy with the grip

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #19 of 27 Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Tirone

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but this was the closest thread I could find and does pertain to my question...

I currently have Pilot Roads on my bike and just bought a new set of Pilot Road 2s. My rear tire is nigh-unto bald and needs to be replaced immediately before I take any more trips. In fact, I don't even feel comfortable riding around town. However, my front tire probably has at least another 3k on it before it needs replacing. Part of me says replace both of 'em and the other part says why waste a good couple thousand miles on a tire. I'm not sure I want to get into a pattern of replacing one tire at a time though which is what this would lead to if I just replaced the rear now.

What say you guys about running two different tires (same manufacturer) at once? Also, do you think the difference in tread wear or compounds would make a noticeable difference? I ride the twisties pretty aggressively and would prefer very much to keep both tires firmly planted

Thanks!

post #20 of 27 Old 06-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

FWIW, I would get two new tires. Keep your other front as a backup/spare.

I think you'll appreciate riding it more this way, knowing you've got fresh rubber to back you up in front as well as the rear.

I did this when I picked up a sharp rock in my stock tires. But then again, those sucked, so it was a really good reason to get a nice front, lol.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #21 of 27 Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
MSF blacksheep

Replaces pr2's as a set. The front wont last much longer than the rear.

post #22 of 27 Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Aquilifer

It sounds like you already have doubts about mismatching old and new.

In your mind, do it.

Now go ride your favorite road, balls out with your old front and new rear, and tell me if you're thinking about the traction of that front.

post #23 of 27 Old 06-28-2011, 02:40 PM
The Cripple

Dr D, it really boils down to personal preference. the important thing you should do is look up the date of manufacture on your front tire, if it's gettin old (4-5 years), replace it. also check for dry rot, cracks in the sidewall, etc. if theres any, replace it. other than that, personal preference so long as the angle is not radically changed.

post #24 of 27 Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

I have PR2 up front with 5k+ miles on it, my rear is a new PR3. Not scared.

post #25 of 27 Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Tirone

Thanks for the input. The front was manufactured early in '07. I figure that's starting to borderline on old although it doesn't have any dryrot or cracks. For my peace of mind, I guess it's not worth leaving it on. I like the idea of a spare just in case anyway. Thanks again!

post #26 of 27 Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Pilus Posterior

I'm a pair type of guy - I find by the time the rear is worn although the front is still legal it has worn either side (centre is good) and is starting to get a odd profile.

In your case I'd throw on both PR2's - why? The PR2 rear will be a lot stickier than the old plain Jane Road front and personally I prefer a stickier front - if it was the other way around (PR2 front, Road rear) I'd say it was fine.

Just my 2c worth and take it as you see fit.

post #27 of 27 Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Silent but Deadly

I replaced my rear about 2 months ago thinking the front had about 3k left. After riding the parkway on a weekend trip the front was bald (on the sides ). I had metzler sportec m1's and IMO they were great for traction but sucked for longevity. I would do both for piece of mind. I have 2 brand new pr2's and have had to relearn the bike (for good reasons). That's how much of a difference they made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode