Removing Engine Mounted Sliders - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 11-03-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
PB

Removing Engine Mounted Sliders

I want to take off my engine mounted frame sliders and want to make sure I have all the parts before I unbolt the engine from the frame.

It seems to me that the bolts currently going through the sliders, engine, and the frame are too long to be used without the slider pucks, so I believe I'll need to get new 10x100mm flange bolts, nuts, and washers (just to be safe). Alternatively, can anyone remember installing sliders that make use of the old engine bolts? I can't imagine they used the same ones and expect that I'll need new ones.

In addition, do I need to buy two new front engine hanger collars or are those still going to be in there when I take off the bolts from the sliders? They're 002 in this diagram:

FRAME. Fits: 2007 Honda CB900F | Southern Honda Powersports

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Hey Dan, I hope you've had a chance to enjoy this crazy warm weather. If not, call in sick. You deserve a mental health day off.
Don't be concerned about taking apart the current pieces of your engine mount frame sliders. You'll see what you have and see what you need to buy. Maybe the bolt in the existing frame slider is threaded such that you can cut off the extra length and bring it down to 100mm. (But just take apart one side at a time. There will be fewer issues that way... LOL)

You won't need new collars.

Take care,
Mark

post #3 of 8 Old 11-04-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
PB

Thanks Mark. I'll likely be doing this once it's in for the winter.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'm sure you need to replace the bolts. This isn't always easy. One engine I had pulled had the engine mounted sliders on it for quite a few years. The bolt itself had bonded to the engine. Hopefully it's not the case with yours too.

Spoiler:

post #5 of 8 Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Tirone

Let me know how this worked for you. I will be doing the same thing to mine in a month. Replacing the case mounted sliders with the more proper frame mounted.
Thanks.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride

I could make use of a follow up post as well.

How did it go? Any surprises?

I started the process a couple of days ago, but halted when I realized that even when removing one side at a time, the engine needs to be supported, at least that's how it seemed to me. Perhaps because it was on the side stand?

Anyway, I've got a centerstand now, and intend to tackle this issue once again, this time with a jack underneath the engine. Still leery of surprises though.

Don't like surprises.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Left of Centre

When I did this some time ago, I just unbolted my sliders - one at a time, no surprises - and put the same bolts back in and torqued them up and all was well.

Then used the threaded rod method of moving the sliders to the frame.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 AM
Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride

Thanks for the guidance K1w1. I tried once again while the bike was on the centerstand and indeed this time I was able to get one of the bolts out. At that point I had to reverse the process however. Turns out in my case, the PO used some longer bolts when he installed the sliders. So long in fact, that even if I elected to shorten them, there wouldn't be enough threads to tighten the nuts down. So I ordered some OEM bolts and for now the sliders are back in (the wrong) place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode