Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Reasonably price front disk options.

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Volumetrik 
#1 ·
Looks like I might be in the market for some new front disks. They work, but I'm having a rough time getting rid of the squeal. Even after scruffing/sanding, it comes back after a while.

I'm going to be replacing the pads for the 2nd time this year and need to start looking at what options that I have.

Some EOM listing are showing $300 a side, so $600 total. Not going to happen. I thought one dealer had them for $98/each. Surely there must be a good option for us. Maybe after market or swaps from the F4 or whatever.

Funny thing is that the grooves seem to be smoothing out, but the pads are still making the noise.

I put the special grease on the back of the pads and that (plus scuffing) helped for a day or two.

#2 ·
I've been running the BikeMaster front rotors for a couple years now and I don't have any complaints so far
I've run used F4i rotors in the past too, only difference is the cartier is aluminum instead of steel

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Thanks, didn't know that.

I did notice it was in Japan and after some hunting, the eBay ones listed in the link above that didn't say Japan or even where they were made, however their location is China, so I assume they are made in China.

So the other ones are cheaper by $40ish and are made and/or located in China.

I wonder what the net cost would be.

I'm not sure if I should just get new pads and see if that takes care of the noise problem. I did run grease, but didn't run that rubbery goop that comes with some pad kits and also, since I'm already due for new pads, maybe give a different set a try.

I'd hate to spend $200 + on disks if I can just get mine to shut up.

#14 ·
Clean the buttons. They help and is easy to do. Are you using the nut, bolt, and washer trick to do them? Makes it a lot faster.

You need to bed in your pads when you change the surfaces of the rotors and/or the pads. Easy to do. Get up to about 65 mph, brake hard to 10mph. Repeat 9 more times, let brake system cool down, done.

#15 ·
I was using the nut/bolt trick, but I stopped after about 3 of them on one side.

I got a new "stabbing" parts brush and carb cleaner, I'm going to clean them fully this time.

I also heard that the OEM pads don't make as much noise as the after market ones I've got. I think I got the EBC brand and the local shop said they stopped selling them because of the noise.

#18 ·
Generally, I try to not take off things unless I actually need to. The thing is that I know the disks are properly attached right now, but if I take them off, I'd have to be concerned about them holding properly.

IDK if they require lock tite or what, then there's the issue of proper torquing and getting the allen head socket to torque them.

Not a big deal, just more work that I can avoid if I build a platform to protect the disks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.