Rear wheel bearing issues - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 07-31-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Rear wheel bearing issues

So I recently purchased the 1744 520 conversion kit and rode that around for a while and decided I wanted to drop one tooth in the front and go to 1644 after installing that I noticed a clunking noise coming from the rear sounds like rear bearing went out so I double checked to make sure the front sprocket was facing right direction with the stamp out I also took the chain off and spun the wheel and made the same noise whenever I release the rear axle Bolt the noise goes away when I have tension on it is one that makes noise seems like I've gone through too many rear bearings in the past few years I made sure the axle is lined up correctly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-31-2019, 07:14 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitesnake View Post
So I recently purchased the 1744 520 conversion kit and rode that around for a while and decided I wanted to drop one tooth in the front and go to 1644 after installing that I noticed a clunking noise coming from the rear sounds like rear bearing went out so I double checked to make sure the front sprocket was facing right direction with the stamp out I also took the chain off and spun the wheel and made the same noise whenever I release the rear axle Bolt the noise goes away when I have tension on it is one that makes noise seems like I've gone through too many rear bearings in the past few years I made sure the axle is lined up correctly
Too many?
What has the history been like?

post #3 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 12:56 AM
Princeps Prior

I did my 17/44 520 conversion a few months ago and when I finished, I had a very odd sound when running on the rear stand. It went away after I cleaned, lubed and lined up as best I can.

If you look at the chain, does it slap around a lot?

I made a video of mine, does your chain sound anything like this or bounce around as much?

Maybe make a video of yours and post it.

Does the tire have any play in it that would indicate a loose bearing?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 02:26 AM
Left of Centre

Might not be a bearing.

After I took my 17/44 kit off [after 25,000 mi] the wear on the back of the front sprocket kind of explained the clunking I had been hearing from the chain, and made me think I should have installed the sprocket with numbers facing away from me, ie, into the engine, so that the wider shoulder would have moved the sprocket out, more in line with where the chain seemed to want to be.

The number-out installation of the sprocket put the narrow sprocket shoulder in, and the wider one out.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Might not be a bearing.

After I took my 17/44 kit off [after 25,000 mi] the wear on the back of the front sprocket kind of explained the clunking I had been hearing from the chain, and made me think I should have installed the sprocket with numbers facing away from me, ie, into the engine, so that the wider shoulder would have moved the sprocket out, more in line with where the chain seemed to want to be.

The number-out installation of the sprocket put the narrow sprocket shoulder in, and the wider one out.
Well, If the rear sprocket for the 520 chain is a flat plate with no shoulder offsets for thickness compensation, then the switch from a 530 to a 520 chain puts the chain center-line location closer to the center of the bike (towards the engine). With that - the proper orientation of the front sprocket would be "The number-out installation of the sprocket... the narrow shoulder in the the wider one out."
Just an observation - I hope the logic helps.

Good luck,
Mark

post #6 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Might not be a bearing.

I made the same mistake thinking the wider shoulder was to face inwards. This was probably the reason why my last chain from the 17/44 kit exploded, along with extreme abuse on my end. The pins all sheared off on one side of the chain, indicating that the alignment wasn't proper. I'm pretty sure that I learned in my last phonecall to kyleracing that the wider shoulder faces away from the bike.

Also, because the chain sat further out, it wasn't properly encased by the metal chain gaurd the front sprocket sits it, allowing my chain to whip into my waterpump and take that out.

Lessons learned hard are lessons learned well I say. Also, I've learned that as chains get older or if they are dry, especially both, they are loud even if aligned properly.

BTW, take everything I say with a grain of salt because I'm one of the few people who actually managed to make a high end chain go boom, i could be wrong still

post #7 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 07:21 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
If the rear sprocket for the 520 chain is a flat plate with no shoulder offsets for thickness compensation....
Always interested in logic Mark, and maybe this was where the problem lay. Sadly, I think I have already biffed the rear sprocket so can't do any retro-investigation, but the attached pics show the unmarked front [outer] of the sprocket, and the wear that occurred behind it when the narrow shoulder faced the cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5832.jpg (228.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5831.jpg (255.9 KB, 5 views)

post #8 of 8 Old 08-02-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

so thats my question... do u think that having the front sprocket installed wrong could effect the rear bearings to out bad? i installed th 17/44 conversion and rode about 200 miles with no issues.. i wasnt a fan of it so i dropped -1 in the front and after installng i noticed a creeking noise coming from the rear end. i thought maybe the rear bearings went out from putting in the front sprocket wrong... so the wide shoulder should face out? with the #

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode