Rear sprocket stuck - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Rear sprocket stuck

I just spent the last hour and a half trying to remove my rear sprocket. I had the rear tire off and was sitting on it, while pulling with a force equivalent of the Incredible Hulk on the five sprocket nuts. Not one would budge. So I bolted everything back up and gave up.

Am I going to need to find a pipe to slide the wrench into and work it that way? Or is there some critical step I'm missing? I literally removed the back tire, and went to work on the sprocket nuts.

I'm thinking maybe the previous owner threw loctite on them or something....

Does this napkin smell like chloroform? Just kidding baby lemme buy you a drink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Le So Cal Troll

so your trying to remove the sprocket from the cush drive?

Proper size socket and breaker bar sounds to be in order.

As well as maybe a soak of some aerokroil.... or PB blaster if you cant source the nectar from the gods that is aerokroil.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Ian

Use an impact gun, or an impact driver. Take the cush out and put it in a vice with soft or wooden jaws. Try and put some heat to it, just stay away from the bearing.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

I sprayed a bit of chain cleaner around the nuts in hopes it would work, but nothing.

Was thinking of bring out the heat gun too. I think a breaker bar is going to be the ticket. It' not going to tweak anything wrenching that hard on it is it?

Does this napkin smell like chloroform? Just kidding baby lemme buy you a drink.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
I sprayed a bit of chain cleaner around the nuts in hopes it would work, but nothing.

Was thinking of bring out the heat gun too. I think a breaker bar is going to be the ticket. It' not going to tweak anything wrenching that hard on it is it?
Are you taking the cush drive out of the rim? If not you are loading up the rubber drive inserts and not getting a good load on the fastners.

post #6 of 12 Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

No, cush drive was still in the rim....

post #7 of 12 Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Put the wheel back on the swingarm and use the left side arm to hold the socket while loosening the nuts -- the socket will be on top of the arm to loosen, so thoroughly pad the arm with a small block of wood and cloth to prevent scratches and tie the wood / cloth to the arm. They will loosen fairly easily if you have a long enough breaker bar.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 12 Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Impact Gun takes about 10 seconds to remove all the fuji nuts and you can do it with the cush drive still in the wheel.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-13-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Thanks for the replies guys. Took the sprocket off at a buddies house. Put a length of tube across the swingarm and through the rim, loosened each sprocket nut while tire was on with a breaker bar he had. HAVING THE RIGHT TOOLS MAKES LIFE SO MUCH EASIER. After we popped the tire off, had the spockets replaced and tire back on in about 10 minutes. Once I'm out of school and have some cash I plan on upgrading from my 104pc Craftsman set....

post #10 of 12 Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
HAVING THE RIGHT TOOLS MAKES LIFE SO MUCH EASIER.
So true. People either love or hate Harbor Freight tools. I am in the first group, but only for certain tools. All my sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc are Craftsman, but you can get a perfectly fine 18" or 25" breaker bar at Harbor Freight for about $10 which should fit a student budget just fine. Although, your way of having friends that have tools is even better!

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #11 of 12 Old 07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Le So Cal Troll

whats that saying.

Give me a lever big enough and i can move the world?

post #12 of 12 Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
So true. People either love or hate Harbor Freight tools. I am in the first group, but only for certain tools. All my sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc are Craftsman, but you can get a perfectly fine 18" or 25" breaker bar at Harbor Freight for about $10 which should fit a student budget just fine. Although, your way of having friends that have tools is even better!
A close riding buddy too. Also my boss at work. He's much more mechanically inclined than I am, so that helps too. Monkey see, monkey do by himself later kinda deal. But yeah I'm definitely checking into the HF stuff. There might even be an old bar in the receiving bay at work I could snag. I do work at Menards... so it would make sense.

I'm just a cheap ass bastard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode