Rear Brake Pedal Question - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 6 Old 09-09-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

Rear Brake Pedal Question

Granted, glasses seem to have evaporated on me, but can't seem to locate a brake pedal height specification in either the owner's or shop manuals.

Sure, you can do it according to feel and would depend on the thickness of the soles of your riding boots.

While I am at it, when that locking nut is applied to the pedal height adjuster, that lower 12mm nut should be as 'high'/tightened into the adjuster nut (10mm) - not into the lower bar.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-09-2018, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

Pedal

post #3 of 6 Old 09-09-2018, 09:20 PM
919 Rider

Section 15-18 of the bike manual gives a specific length for the push rod adjustment.
I've never had to touch mine except to clean. I suppose once you set the recommended length you could adjust to remove some slack or add? I have a little slack in the rear brake that I might have a go at taking out.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 AM
McTavish

Brake pedal height on bikes like 919s can very easily be a choice of what is most comfortable, and therefore lower for long legged riders, or higher in order to lessen grinding it in turns.
A specified height is a theoretical and nothing else but.
g00gl3it likes this.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-10-2018, 04:17 PM
919 Rider

Birddogvet. I re read your post, had a play on my rear brake and looked at the bike manual pics. I think you have your nut sequence wrong. This is how I see it and please someone chime in if I'm wrong.
The 10mm nut is tightened up into the top of the push rod, where the rubber boot is and the 12mm locking nut is backed down onto the top of the adjuster bar. The height of the adjuster bar, which your brake lever goes into is set by undoing the 12mm nut and turning the adjuster bar on the threaded push rod up or down. You do this by removing the brake lever, a split pin. And partially unbolting the master cylinder. This gives you some room to turn the adjuster bar.
Clear as mud?

post #6 of 6 Old 09-10-2018, 04:55 PM
919 Rider

Okay I got it wrong. Ignore most of my previous post. I'll explain. Also excuse the following gutter pun, I can't help myself.
After fiddling with my nuts some more I think I figured it out. It's all done through that little slot.
With the 12mm lock nut backed off and the 10mm nut wound up to the top of the push rod you use the 10mm nut to turn the threaded push rod, raising and lowering the brake pedal. You set your height then lock it in by winding the 12mm down onto the adjuster.
Correct?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode