RC51 front end swap - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

RC51 front end swap

Ok, I have a line on some RC51 parts. I'm just wondering what all is required to do the swap.

I'm thinking:

Forks (obviously)
Top and Bottom triples
caliper brackets (calipers??)
axle and spacers

Does the F3 front wheel work with these forks or do I need to get the RC51 front wheel? The wheel will add significantly to the cost of the conversion.

What about headlight/gauge brackets?

Does the top crown need to be modified to accept handlebars?

Anything else?

What does it usually cost to do this conversion? What's a reasonable price to pay for all the parts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 04:38 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

price can vary from unreasonably expensive new parts to unbelievable cheap used.

no, f4i wheel is no go. rc51 or 929/954 3 spoke wheel with new bearings.
you will need to machine or reuse 919 steering steam. Reusing of which will require some machining skills.

The rest is easy. 919 calipers will work on rc51 forks. If you can, get SP1 forks, SP2 are much better forks but a little shorter and will require some work to keep front end geometry the same as stock.

post #3 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

I have an F3 front, not F4i... I spent a lot of money getting freshly powder-coated 6-spoke wheels on my bike....

Thanks for the reply. If you've done the conversion, can you ballpark the conversion cost?

I know enough machinists that I should be able to get that work done for cheap or free.

Oh... and what's the fork length difference? What exactly is entailed in keeping the geo the same with the SP2 forks?

post #4 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

In addition to zaq123's comments, I'll add a bit more:

Does the F3 front wheel work with these forks or do I need to get the RC51 front wheel? The wheel will add significantly to the cost of the conversion. As Zaq mentioned, the f4i wheel will not work. Now is the time to choose what look you want. If you like the current look of your 919 with 3-spoke wheels, pick up a CBR929 or 954 wheel and get RC51 wheel bearings to match the RC axle. If you want a 6-spoke design, get an RC front wheel, spacers and axle. A CBR900 rear wheel matches the design and is a direct bolt-on to the 919.

What about headlight/gauge brackets? You will need to modify whichever top and bottom clamp you choose.

Does the top crown need to be modified to accept handlebars? Yes. The top clamps from the RC-51 as well as CBR 929/954 will fit. None will have holes drilled for handlebar clamps. But there are adjustable riser clip-on options if you don't want to mess with bar clamps. The top clamps also do not have holes required for the 919 headlight cage, and are probably not a direct fit for the 919 gauges and ignition housing. You will need to take your parts to a local machinist and tell him what you want to do. I got tired of waiting on the machinist to modify the clamps and ended up getting a custom set of triples from overseas. It was the most expensive option, but the triples were made specifically for this project and everything bolted right on.

Anything else? It seems that many Honda (and others) brake systems will work. I would not mix and match master cylinders and calipers unless you know the specs of each, and they are compatible with each other. You can keep your 919 system, use the RC system, or get a CBR 929/954 system. There are probably others that are direct bolt-on as well.

A number of fenders can be made to work. Some guys use the RC fender since it's quick and easy. I used the '07 and later CBR600RR fender because it was smaller, but the lowest front mount will have to be cut off, since the RC forks only have 1 lower front mount, and the front of the CBR fender is longer and will cover the adjuster knobs unless it's shortened. Other fenders may fit as well

What does it usually cost to do this conversion? What's a reasonable price to pay for all the parts? ebay is your best bet, but as mentioned earlier, prices vary wildly, and some RC parts can be pretty hard to find! I spent 4 years buying and selling all the RC/CBR/aftermarket options mentioned above before finally choosing the parts I wanted and getting mine put together. Most guys wouldn't take nearly that long.

I hope that helps.

Good luck with your project!

post #5 of 22 Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
In addition to zaq123's comments, I'll add a bit more:

Does the F3 front wheel work with these forks or do I need to get the RC51 front wheel? The wheel will add significantly to the cost of the conversion. As Zaq mentioned, the f4i wheel will not work. Now is the time to choose what look you want. If you like the current look of your 919 with 3-spoke wheels, pick up a CBR929 or 954 wheel and get RC51 wheel bearings to match the RC axle. If you want a 6-spoke design, get an RC front wheel, spacers and axle. A CBR900 rear wheel matches the design and is a direct bolt-on to the 919.

What about headlight/gauge brackets? You will need to modify whichever top and bottom clamp you choose.

Does the top crown need to be modified to accept handlebars? Yes. The top clamps from the RC-51 as well as CBR 929/954 will fit. None will have holes drilled for handlebar clamps. But there are adjustable riser clip-on options if you don't want to mess with bar clamps. The top clamps also do not have holes required for the 919 headlight cage, and are probably not a direct fit for the 919 gauges and ignition housing. You will need to take your parts to a local machinist and tell him what you want to do. I got tired of waiting on the machinist to modify the clamps and ended up getting a custom set of triples from overseas. It was the most expensive option, but the triples were made specifically for this project and everything bolted right on.

Anything else? It seems that many Honda (and others) brake systems will work. I would not mix and match master cylinders and calipers unless you know the specs of each, and they are compatible with each other. You can keep your 919 system, use the RC system, or get a CBR 929/954 system. There are probably others that are direct bolt-on as well.

A number of fenders can be made to work. Some guys use the RC fender since it's quick and easy. I used the '07 and later CBR600RR fender because it was smaller, but the lowest front mount will have to be cut off, since the RC forks only have 1 lower front mount, and the front of the CBR fender is longer and will cover the adjuster knobs unless it's shortened. Other fenders may fit as well

What does it usually cost to do this conversion? What's a reasonable price to pay for all the parts? ebay is your best bet, but as mentioned earlier, prices vary wildly, and some RC parts can be pretty hard to find! I spent 4 years buying and selling all the RC/CBR/aftermarket options mentioned above before finally choosing the parts I wanted and getting mine put together. Most guys wouldn't take nearly that long.

I hope that helps.

Good luck with your project!
hey, thanks for the reply. Lots of good info there.

Only 1 question... when I mention the F3 front wheel, why do you guys keep mentioning the F4i wheel? My understanding is that they are different wheels.... the F4i wheel won't drop onto the stock 919 axle like the F3 wheel... which is why I brought it up. I already have the CBR900 rear and F3 front on my bike and I would like to keep them...

post #6 of 22 Old 06-09-2011, 05:07 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

yea, f4i won't fit

post #7 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
yea, f4i won't fit
LOL I get that.... but will the F3 wheel fit?

post #8 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 03:29 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallybanger View Post
LOL I get that.... but will the F3 wheel fit?
f4i bearings are different, different diameter, won't fit.

post #9 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Discen

I don't know the answer....but I think he is talking about an F3 wheel, not and F4.

I'm gonna go ahead an guess that it is not a direct swap, and will require at the minimum new spacers. Probably will not work at all though, like the F4 wheel because of the diameter issue.

post #10 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I don't know the answer, but since you say the F3 wheel will fit your 919 axle, I'm guessing that it will not fit the RC forks since the RC axle is likely larger diameter. It's possible that a different wheel bearing and spacers might fit the outer diameter of the RC axle and the inner diameter of the F3 wheel. I used RC wheel, bearings, spacers, axle... so without measuring those parts I really don't know.

post #11 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

Yes. I have an F3 front wheel... I don't give a fuck about the F4i wheel.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll have to find an RC wheel to measure. The biggest issue is probably the rotor spacing.

post #12 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 PM
`

Awards Showcase

we are jus f'ing with you, f4i won't fit

j/k j/k f3 won't fit eather

post #13 of 22 Old 06-11-2011, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Carp Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
we are jus f'ing with you, f4i won't fit

j/k j/k f3 won't fit eather
LOL Zaq, I swear I'm ready to hit you

post #14 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Tirone

Resurrecting an old thread...

In regards to wheel fitting, how about the RC51 SP2 5-spoke wheels? Any changes to the front axle from SP1's to SP2's? How about the rear axle? Anyone used the 5-spoke wheels on the 919 swingarm?

Thanks!

post #15 of 22 Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptesicus View Post

In regards to wheel fitting, how about the RC51 SP2 5-spoke wheels? Any changes to the front axle from SP1's to SP2's? How about the rear axle? Anyone used the 5-spoke wheels on the 919 swingarm?

Thanks!
f4i wheel won't fit

SP1 and SP2 are the same as far as bearings go

post #16 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Pilus Posterior

f4i wheel won't fit

post #17 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 02:42 AM
Discen

im hearing the f4i wheel wont fit

post #18 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

can i use an f4i wheel with rotella t6 and a supertech filter? how 'bout a harley wheel on an f4i?

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #19 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Gunner

I saw a sweet moped the other day. Will that wheel fit? Im not sure of the make..but i think it was blue.

post #20 of 22 Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptesicus View Post

Thanks!
Either RC 5-spoke or 6-spoke front wheel should fit your front end. The RC rear wheels are not a direct swap on the 919. If you want a 6-spoke rear, the CBR900RR rear wheel is a direct fit. Not sure what you'll use for a 5-spoke rear.

Apparently the f4i rear wheel won't fit... but the f4i rear axle will fit, and it's hollow. I have no info on the RC rear axle.

Good luck

post #21 of 22 Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Either RC 5-spoke or 6-spoke front wheel should fit your front end. The RC rear wheels are not a direct swap on the 919. If you want a 6-spoke rear, the CBR900RR rear wheel is a direct fit. Not sure what you'll use for a 5-spoke rear.

Apparently the f4i rear wheel won't fit... but the f4i rear axle will fit, and it's hollow. I have no info on the RC rear axle.

Good luck
Thanks. I have an RC rear axle and spacers coming my way. I'll make sure to check the cush drive and sprocket as well to make sure it will line up with the 919's front sprocket.

post #22 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Do you know the dimensions of the RC rear axle? Pretty sure the 919 axle is 20mm diameter - I'd have to measure the length.

I've heard numerous times in the past that the RC rear wheels will not fit on the 919, but I don't remember which part won't fit - cush drive, axle... Maybe someone else on here remembers.

If I remember correctly, the RC wheel itself is 6 inches wide and the 919 and 900RR wheels are 5.5 inches wide.

Not trying to deter you, but you're definitely set on 5-spoke over 6-spoke?
The 6-spoke 900RR rear wheel is a perfect match for the RC 6-spoke design and is a direct swap. You can use your 919 cush drive, axle, and spacers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode