Race tech gold valves - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 09-03-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Guzzi Man

Race tech gold valves

As I'm too cheap and lazy to try a fork swap, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Gold Valves from RaceTech? They run $169 and add compression dampening to the stock forks. As the stock forks only allow for spring pre load adjustment and rebound adjustment, these valves maybe just what is needed to improve the front end. The stock brakes and steering are fine, but on bumpy roads the front seems out of control, or maybe that's my riding technique. Any experience with the gold valves, even on a different bike could help me decide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-03-2009, 12:14 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Talk to xrmikey, he's got'em.

Professional
post #3 of 10 Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Guzzi Man

Thanks!

post #4 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 07:34 PM
McTavish

I have RaceTech Springs and Gold Compression and Rebound Valves in my front end.
I was spooked off doing the work myself after I opened up the front end. I've done engines for years, and the front end looked like breakage waiting to happen. I got referred to a suspension whiz who did the install, plus some custom piston drilling to alter the low speed compression circuit. Between the front end work and the Penske rear, it's a different bike. I do lots of track day time with it. Very stable and forgiving platform to ride, that is for sure. No vices at all.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestib1 View Post
As I'm too cheap and lazy to try a fork swap, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Gold Valves from RaceTech? They run $169 and add compression dampening to the stock forks. As the stock forks only allow for spring pre load adjustment and rebound adjustment, these valves maybe just what is needed to improve the front end. The stock brakes and steering are fine, but on bumpy roads the front seems out of control, or maybe that's my riding technique. Any experience with the gold valves, even on a different bike could help me decide.
I had my ZRX rebuilt using them, after my first trackday on the ZRX. It made a huge difference. However, like the other guy, I would recommend having a pro do the work. I think it takes experience to get this right, and worth the money.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM
McTavish

I forgot to add in.
Don't just put in a high quality retuned Compression Valve.
Your cartridge does have a compression valve and a rebound valve already.
And the valves are configured to use 10 wt oil.
Stock valves on the kind of oil normally used with good valves will net you zero damping with the lighter oils intended for a RaceTech or Traxxion valve.
You need to change both valves on the cartridge, as it's not a simple case of "adding" a compression valve.
Change both valves and respring.
Speaking of springing, that is numero uno to do. Don't do damping without respringing, that said it terms of 919s which are lightly sprung. You'll likely need 0.90s or a bit stiffer (I'm using a mix of 0.9 and 0.95 springs to get at an overall of 0.925)

post #7 of 10 Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

don't waist your money on gold valves for rebound, just rework stock valve. Anyone who works with forks will tell you that for your 919, f4i, vfr. or similar forks. The funny thing is that racetech actually tell you this as well, even though they make money by selling rebound kits.
Just put new springs, Gold valves for comp since you already got them, tune up your rebound valves with new shims and put lighter oil.

Buy IMHO, ohlins valves is the way to go

post #8 of 10 Old 01-30-2010, 03:34 PM
McTavish

There's more to valves than the simple resting area for the shim stack.
Can you rework stock valves by reshimming, yes.
Can you modify the flow pattern once the shims release according to plan, no.
The overall flow characteristic, and therefore damping characteristic, is a function of the combination of valve and shim stack - ignoring oil effect that is.
If absolute minimal expense is be the criteria, but damping change desired, then reworked stock valves are obvious.

post #9 of 10 Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Can you modify the flow pattern once the shims release according to plan, no.
I'm sorry but..........1st, this statement is wrong. 2nd, it doesn't make any sence.
Different valve concepts work differently. Racetech valves flow more oil than needed and relies solely on it's tiered stack.
Traxxion's magic is in shim preloading idea

Going back to thread topic about RT Gold Valves. GV for rebound is a waist of cash for 919 showas. If you already have gold valves for comp, just put them in and rework rebound.

If you didn't get them yet, I would look into getting Ohlins valves instead

post #10 of 10 Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I'm sorry but..........1st, this statement is wrong. 2nd, it doesn't make any sence.
Different valve concepts work differently. Racetech valves flow more oil than needed and relies solely on it's tiered stack.
Traxxion's magic is in shim preloading idea

Going back to thread topic about RT Gold Valves. GV for rebound is a waist of cash for 919 showas. If you already have gold valves for comp, just put them in and rework rebound.

If you didn't get them yet, I would look into getting Ohlins valves instead
Mine was a very poorly worded sentence and you are correct pointing out the error within.
The main things is that the total damping force is a function of the combination of the valve porting and the shim stack. My front end's improvement is worth every dollar I put into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode