Race Tech. 095 springs - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By ewmin3m
  • 1 Post By Ditch

post #1 of 17 Old 01-30-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Race Tech. 095 springs

Anyone running racetech fork springs on there 919? Ordered a set and wanted some feed back on how they performed...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-30-2019, 07:11 AM
919 Rider

Performed flawlessly in my 919.

post #3 of 17 Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 AM
Centurion

Garage
yes, they tighten up handling and nose dive under heavy braking, more stable under cornering.

I recommend you get the rear suspension sorted out for a full stable package as well.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-30-2019, 09:25 AM
919 Rider

Yeah what he said plus for me they also smoothed out the ride. Absorbed road bumps much better than stock.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #5 of 17 Old 01-30-2019, 11:20 AM
Tirone

I'm very happy with mine.

post #6 of 17 Old 01-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Princeps Prior

Is that just the springs, or are you guys doing valves too? Don't they have a whole kit, springs, valves, spacer...

post #7 of 17 Old 01-30-2019, 11:07 PM
919 Rider

I only changed springs. New oil, seals etc. No valve change, nothing fancy. I'm no road racer but I did want a ride more compliant, smoother. I got Racetech springs to suit my weight, about 100 bucks. Came with spacers you cut to fit.
I actually did the rear shock first, that worked wonders but it did make it obvious just how bouncy the front springs were.

post #8 of 17 Old 01-30-2019, 11:13 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I only changed springs. New oil, seals etc. No valve change, nothing fancy. I'm no road racer but I did want a ride more compliant, smoother. I got Racetech springs to suit my weight, about 100 bucks. Came with spacers you cut to fit.
I actually did the rear shock first, that worked wonders but it did make it obvious just how bouncy the front springs were.
Which rear shock did you get? BTW, which tires are those, I don't know that pattern, I thought you just got new ones and went with Road 5.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-31-2019, 12:20 AM
919 Rider

A Wilbers shock. Been great. Moderately priced, German built, popular in Australia. Most importantly black. I know it's shallow but I really wanted a black shock.
I get the feeling they are sort of one size fits all. Preload adjuster rings impossible to get to with shock on bike. Some frame in the way. Annoying, time consuming to adjust. Also remote reservoir banjo bolt sits hard against coolant overflow tank. I put a sheet of rubber between the two. They not so good with communication either. At least not with pissed off Aussies.
The tires are pirelli Diablo stradas. They last a while and have never slipped on me. I've had a few sets now. I can get them fairly cheap and I'm habit forming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190131_183253-1_1548921987559.jpg (138.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20190120_142426-1_1548922052968.jpg (135.8 KB, 12 views)

post #10 of 17 Old 02-01-2019, 02:26 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
The ractechs seem a lot cheaper than I thought, mate...just need to consider now whether its a job I can do myself, given my...concreted in novice mechanical capacity. Probably worth changing my oil, so why not the springs in turn as from what I gather, I am running stock on both counts, which makes the oil and springs 14 years old! And also, will the front work bring about a lovely change without doing anything to the rear spring, which seems a much more complicated job?

Also...I am very much enjoying the Pirelli ANgel GTs. Only had one small slip, on some dust on the road when the back end slipped accelerating from a stop into a corner...other than which they are lovely, and I am pleased with the small chicken strips already showing, proving my lean is massively greater than before.

post #11 of 17 Old 02-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Centurion

Garage
Race Tech. 095 springs

The rear should definitely be upgraded if you want some good corner stability especially when you "pin it" on the exits; the bike won't wobble and feel really stable as if you're being propelled out of a cannon.

The fronts are good to upgrade to remove the pogo feeling and massive dive when braking.

I did the ohlins in the rear first and it definitely stabilized the rear, but then I realised you definitely need the front upgrade so I did oil racetech springs and racetech gold valve kit up front.

If you only do one part of the suspension it seemed.to me like you'd be half assing the upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutterpoet View Post
The ractechs seem a lot cheaper than I thought, mate...just need to consider now whether its a job I can do myself, given my...concreted in novice mechanical capacity. Probably worth changing my oil, so why not the springs in turn as from what I gather, I am running stock on both counts, which makes the oil and springs 14 years old! And also, will the front work bring about a lovely change without doing anything to the rear spring, which seems a much more complicated job?

Also...I am very much enjoying the Pirelli ANgel GTs. Only had one small slip, on some dust on the road when the back end slipped accelerating from a stop into a corner...other than which they are lovely, and I am pleased with the small chicken strips already showing, proving my lean is massively greater than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thegutterpoet likes this.

post #12 of 17 Old 02-01-2019, 09:22 PM
The Instigator

I'm only 160 and still wouldn't run anything else. As for the rear get a Penske so you can raise the rear up a little, handles like a dream

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #13 of 17 Old 02-02-2019, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Is that just the springs, or are you guys doing valves too? Don't they have a whole kit, springs, valves, spacer...
Im just doing the springs and fork seals

post #14 of 17 Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Anyone running rear shocks that wont brake the bank?

post #15 of 17 Old 02-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitesnake View Post
Someone new just posted about using a shock from another bike.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...lia-80447.html

There's other options too, but I hear this is the most cost effective.

post #16 of 17 Old 02-02-2019, 04:49 PM
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitesnake View Post
Not really if you want a good one. Think of it this way, it's the best money you can spend on your bike aside from consumables. Even a good used one will run $500 + $150 for a rebuild so it best to remind yourself how cheap the 919 is to begin and just get it over with. 919's are still a lot cheaper than an FZ-09 or something that will need suspension work all the same.
Islandboy likes this.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #17 of 17 Old 05-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Someone new just posted about using a shock from another bike.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...lia-80447.html

There's other options too, but I hear this is the most cost effective.
Would an f4 98-00 rear shock fit my 05 919 and be a jolly upgrade? Also seen an f3 shock from a 98-00 cbr...assume this would fit (as per other posts I have found on here!)

I am starting to think more seriously of upgrading the suspension. Race tech front springs and seems like the rear could offer major improvement in ride also...just working out how cheaply I can do it, without having to do with work myself (I really have no simple method for raising the bike, keeping it level) and once the suspension work is done I doubt I will be doing any further suspension work for the life of the bike!!! Its had nothing done from stock and has 65k on the clock...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode