Question on 900RR header conversion... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Question Question on 900RR header conversion...

Hello, I'm still pretty new to the forum, but have read through many threads and watched a lot of great videos, but still have a couple questions on the 900RR header conversion. I picked up a stock header with muffler from a 96-99 CBR900RR on ebay. They had it listed as "96-99" - no exact year. It appears to be the right one.

I know I will get some of my answers once I get the stock headers off the 919, but before I do all that, I wanted to ask some of you folks who have already done this mod if you can answer a couple questions.

There is a mounting flange welded onto the mid pipe where it had attached to the 900RR frame. Question: Will this flange line up on the 919 to where I can just bolt it in place using the flange as is? Or will I have to come up with some custom mounting arrangement?

Also, I don't know if the 900RR was fuel injected or not, but if so, wouldn't/shouldn't there be an O2 sensor somewhere along the exhaust system? I didn't see one, and I don't see one on my 919 exhaust. Is this something to be concerned with?

I'm not going to use that giant stock can from the 900RR, and most mufflers that will mate up with that 3-hole flange are pretty large too. Do most people just cut that flange off and then weld a short length of pipe between the can and the mid-pipe, then use a slip-on can?

Is there a catalytic converter somewhere in this exhaust set up?

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject and thanks in advance for any tips!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4607.jpg (155.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4608.jpg (142.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4610.jpg (123.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4623.jpg (177.7 KB, 21 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 02:23 PM
The Cripple

The 919 was fuel injected as you know, but it does not have an o2 sensor so no need to worry about that point.

I don't see any indication of a cat, but could be wrong. Others with experience doing the mod will chime in and help you out.

You have the freedom to whatever works for you. You can cut off the flange and make it a slip on or? Others will chime in as well. Meanwhile, you can try searching if people don't respond in time for you.

post #3 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Thanks Pvster. I thought I had just posted a message?? Still getting used to the forum.

I think I will end up cutting off the flange and using a slip-on can. I don't plan to do this immediately. I just got the bike and want to drive it around all stock for a while to get a good feel for it, to see how much it changes with less restrictive exhaust. I saw this header on ebay and it looked to be in good shape, so I got it, knowing I would be doing the mod at some point. Thanks!

post #4 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

For me the mounting flange on the 900RR header matched up pretty good with the right side center stand mount. I did drill another hole as it wasn't a perfect match.

No O2 sensor on either bike. 919 header had a Cat, but not one in the 900RR header.

The 900RR header OD is about 61mm, so if you can find a can with about a 63mm (~2.5 inch) inlet it should slip right on. A lot of folks get a muffler shop to weld an adapter on to fit their can of choice.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Milites Gregarius

Did the same as marylandmike. Worked well, looks great.

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #6 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Ian

Neither the 900rr or the cb919 have an 02 sensor to worry about.

The mid-pipe mount tab on mine actually interfered with the frame mount so I just cut it off.

Go with a slip-on muffler. Find the style of can you want to run, and don't cut anything off the 900rr until you have your new pipe and slip-on mid pipe in hand. Try to chose a slip-on that has a decent length of mid pipe with it, this gives you more to work with when mating it to the 900rr header. You might get lucky and find a pipe that slips over or inside the 900rr header or not. I wouldn't worry about that part.

Just find a can you like, decided where on the bike you want it to mount and then figure out how to connect the two together. You may have to go to a muffler shop, or you might be able to line it up and work with what you got.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Thanks Mike! That is just what I needed. I thought it might line up with the center stand mount. I had held the header up beside the bike and eyeballed it and it looked like that might work. Your bike looks great! Nice clean install. That looks like a Scorpion Street Extreme. I've been looking online for those and it appears to be discontinued. Can't find any new.
Good to know there is no O2 sensor in the 900RR exhaust. This should be a fairly straightforward modification. Thanks much!

post #8 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywheeler View Post
Thanks Mike! That is just what I needed. I thought it might line up with the center stand mount. I had held the header up beside the bike and eyeballed it and it looked like that might work. Your bike looks great! Nice clean install. That looks like a Scorpion Street Extreme. I've been looking online for those and it appears to be discontinued. Can't find any new.
Good to know there is no O2 sensor in the 900RR exhaust. This should be a fairly straightforward modification. Thanks much!
Yeah I think they were discontinued a while ago. I have had it on for almost 4 years and it still sounds and looks great.

Scorpion has some similar ones now. The Carbine Oval looks similar, but I can't tell what kind of inlet it has.

Like Heli said, find a can you like and then figure out how to adapt it. Chances are it can be done without too much trouble.

post #9 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Thanks H919rider and Ian. I appreciate the info. I really like the look of the stubby cans, but it seems they are always loud. I don't want it too loud. Ian, I'm wondering if the header you had was a little different than Mike's since the mounting tab didn't line up so well H919rider, I tried to enlarge your avatar photo to get a better look at your exhaust, as it looks like you have more of a full-size can on yours, which is what I may do. Do you have a larger photo of the right side of your bike posted anywhere? Thanks.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Ian

Buy this and sell the header and get 50% your cash back.

05 2005 SUZUKI SV650 SV 650 HEADPIPE AND SLIP ON SCORPION EXHAUST | eBay

post #11 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
Buy this and sell the header and get 50% your cash back.

05 2005 SUZUKI SV650 SV 650 HEADPIPE AND SLIP ON SCORPION EXHAUST | eBay

That's a thought, Ian. The can looks a little beat up. Whenever I do put on an aftermarket can, I guess I will need to to do the PAIRs removal/mod. I guess I can wait to see if I get any popping on deceleration and then decide about that.
Do you still sell the block off plates? If so, are the black? Thanks.

post #12 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Ian

I still have plates available in black. Just click on my name and send me a PM "private message" when u want a set, we can work out the details and ask any questions you have.

post #13 of 13 Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
I still have plates available in black. Just click on my name and send me a PM "private message" when u want a set, we can work out the details and ask any questions you have.
Great! Will do. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode