Plus Teeth Sprocket Suggestions - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coondawg07

post #1 of 11 Old 05-12-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Plus Teeth Sprocket Suggestions

Hey guys I am in there now going to start adjusting the bike where I want it. I did run a +2 3 4 search and found a lot of "needs fixed" threads but no answer. I have also read LDH's post on the 17-44 combo and that's not where I personally want to be. What I want is a more usable 3-4 gear in the mountains and better acceleration. I was thinking of just going up 2 on the back or maybe down 1 and +2. I am not a squid so don't go there LOL. Will just 2 on the back make it much quicker for the first 4 gears? I would think so but I have found zero numbers. Also I am a bigger guy so that's another reason imo to get a little more oomph. Thanks and if you have recommendations that's sweet too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Milites Gregarius

Plus Teeth Sprocket Suggestions

Iím a bigger guy too and losing the theoretical top end with the 17/44 520 conversion really made it more responsive and accelerate harder. Maybe the actual experts can chime in, but that and losing 30lbs (from 315lb - yuck) are making a massive difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 11 Old 05-12-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Right on steve thanks for your thoughts. However I thought going to the 17 44 would actually hurt low end and raise top end speed. Im no expert either hope they do chime in here.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-12-2018, 07:14 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralVendetta View Post
Right on steve thanks for your thoughts. However I thought going to the 17 44 would actually hurt low end and raise top end speed. Im no expert either hope they do chime in here.
I run a 16:45 because I am at 3500 ft altitude.
If I was at sea level I'd run a 16:44.
Both were determined by matching peak power zone of a narrow range of rev band to the aerodynamic limit of the bike as relates to peak power.
It worked out well, as I pulled 137 mph on the long straight at the 3500 ft altitude track with the 16:45
It all depends what you want.
If you want to do lots of highway mileage, the many reports of the reduced vibration the 17:44 has been proved to provide, really needs to be listened to.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralVendetta View Post
I bought the 17/44 kit just because I figured I'd need it sooner or later, but I'm still on the chain that came with my used bike and I assume it's OEM ratio.

I understood the whole thing about the 17/44 was to reduce the "buzzy" part of freeway riding and then a bonus was to reduce the weight of the chain.

I just took everyone's word for it as I haven't installed it yet, even after 5 years

Few things change a bike like the gear ratio, but the 919's known for being buzzy up high (up high is an odd term because others have much higher redlines).

Do you really want to be that high in the RPM range?

On a quick side note, I just replaced me filter with a K&N and noticed a small boost in the low/mid area.

One thing that I'd be concerned about is the condition of other things on the bike. Some common mods are the PAIRs, flapper (intake), PCIII, CAT, Exhaust... If these can kick the torque up a bit, maybe that would be better reduce the need for the gear change.

post #6 of 11 Old 05-12-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I hardly ever see 100+ mph, I am looking at back road commuting and mountain pass runs. So the buzz doesn't bother me. I will try a few things out and report back.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Centurion

Garage
yes it does make it less buzzy, even at lower speeds. Very noticeable upgrade +1

post #8 of 11 Old 05-13-2018, 02:53 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I like the 17/44 conversion. Can't say I feel the weight of the chain making any difference. When I first put it on, the gears felt insanely long by comparison. First gear used to always be a little too short to want to stay in because on/off was a little twitchy, it's a lot more usable now.

Here's a video I found of the 17/44 conversion on the 919.

https://streamable.com/6ahw7

The gears feel a little too long for me now, but I commute so much that it makes sense.

Like you, I wanna try a plus tooth option, or maybe even like a 15 tooth front. I wonder if it's possible to be able to hot swap a 15/46 from a 17/44 and have the same chain slack? Could it be done without removing the chain?

post #9 of 11 Old 05-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Milites Gregarius

Iíll be the oddball. Iím running -1 front and +2 rear. Whatís that make 15/45? It really brought the fun out of the 9er. I donít like this bike on the interstate anyway. I can still do 120+ If Desiree on the highway. Cruising on the interstate is 6500+ - thatís the only downside.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-13-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Right on Coondawg, how does it feel 1-3 gear?

post #11 of 11 Old 05-15-2018, 05:52 PM
Milites Gregarius

It feels great. Sometimes I wish I had a 7th gear but the trade off is well worth it.
ViralVendetta likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode