Pit Bull rear stand - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Pit Bull rear stand

Yesterday, I scored a Pit Bull rear stand for 50 bucks off craigslist. The same guy who rescued me when I my dropped bike went with me to pick it up. When we got back to my place, he promptly adjusted it, then proceeded to lift my back end. He made it look easy. He had me lower it off the stand, to get a feel for it.

Fast forward to today. I acquired the appropriate sockets to adjust my chain, and now I want to lift my bike. I think I'm doing everything he did yesterday. I get the bike vertical, slide the stand under the swingarm, then push the handle down on the stand. But I can't get the damn tire off the ground. I know it's just a freakin' lever, but am I missing something? Or perhaps I'm just a wuss?

I really don't want to call the guy over again if I don't have to (even though he told me he'd come over today to supervise and make sure I don't drop it again). He's going to taunt me mercilessly if I can't make this work on my own.

Help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Is this a spooled lifter? Or just has paddles that fit under the swingarm?

If so, place the beginning of the paddle right at the weld on the swingarm near the axle, you need those paddles as close to, or under the axle, as possible.

Too far forward and you won't get enough clearance to raise the tire.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Oh, and one more thing. For your first few times lifting it, don't be afraid to ask for someone to help by standing on the right side of the bike!

I tilt mine up with my hip, standing on the left side (keeping kickstand down in case I need to set it back down) and always keep a very slight tilt to the left, so I don't throw it off to the right. I got real close one day, and it scared me!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Legal in 50 states

Garage
This stand goes both ways, spool supports and paddles. And moving the paddles closer to the weld solved my problem.

Thanks a billion!

post #5 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Great!

I currently have a paddle lifter, but am ordering spools as I'm typing this. Reason? If you also have a front stand, when working on the front, the rear tends to 'slide' backwards on the paddles. This was a little disconcerting for me, so I'm tapping the swingarm to eliminate that problem.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleBrawl View Post
Yesterday, I scored a Pit Bull rear stand for 50 bucks off craigslist. The same guy who rescued me when I my dropped bike went with me to pick it up. When we got back to my place, he promptly adjusted it, then proceeded to lift my back end. He made it look easy. He had me lower it off the stand, to get a feel for it.
Man, I never get help like that

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #7 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 AM
^ It's a song

I find that it helps a lot to have a block of wood under the kickstand before I try to lift the bike. I use a cut down section of 2x4 which lets the bike lean just enough to keep it from tipping over. I then set the bike down on they same block of wood.

Travis - 2006 919
post #8 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Just thought I'd throw in some advice...

I've got the LockhartPhillips universal stand (witch only lifts from under the swingarm - no spools).

Be careful to keep the lift points clean!!! I got some chain lube on mine somehow & now every time I use my rear stand, the bike gradually slides backward until the lift points are all the way up at the front of the swingarm.
The bike still stays upright, but the rear tire is touching the ground.

"clean the damned thing" you say, yeah, I did. It still slips!!

just be careful to keep the rear lift clean.
If I had the means to go with spools I'd do so.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

If you are running a Top Case as your avatar suggests, I find it much easier to lift it without the Case in place. Mine is very heavy(Givi E36).

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #10 of 10 Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 AM
Tirone

I have a pitbull stand and hold the bike by the grab rail with my left hand and prop it up with my right. Ive been using my pit bull since 2004 on all of my sport bikes. It is a great tool to have in the garage. I also have a front pitbull stand its great for front end work. I scored that one for $50.00 also off of craigslist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode