Pinging - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 18 Old 04-27-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Pinging

So, apparently everyone runs 87 octane in their 919. My bike will ping on 87. Adding octane booster -nearly- rectifies the problem. I've tried multiple gas stations. I do not hear the noise I assume to be pinging at all on 93 octane. Since getting the bike about 9k miles ago from my father, I have always ran 93. He says it ran fine on 87, but I never really bothered to check. He also couldn't hear the loud as heck (piston slap?) that's been driving me insane so I can't really trust his word on that. As of right now, at 22k, it pings on 87.

What do you guys think could be the cause of this?

Only mod is bafflectomy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-28-2016, 01:06 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

It's a naked. You sure you aren't hearing the 4k injector noise?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 18 Old 04-28-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

4k injector noise? dunno what that is but the noise goes away with higher octane fuel, pretty much immediately

post #4 of 18 Old 04-28-2016, 04:42 AM
oops hurts

Garage
i hate to say it but your bike is probably ruined. Get a new bike.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-28-2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I say "loud as heck" but apparently nobody but me can hear it. I'm only assuming it's piston slap because it's gone when the bike is warmed up, which could be intentional, idk. It's been making that noise it's whole life for all i know and hasn't gotten any worse, so i'll ride it until one of us dies =) probably more likely to die of old age before that motor goes on me from what i've heard

post #6 of 18 Old 06-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Discen

Any news on this ? I went home for lunch today and while I was passing someone I heard this awful noise from the engine- never heard it before. I was in 4th or 5th and didn't bother downshifting. Throttle was 75% or so. It scared the elf outta me ! Coulda been pinging, or the timing chain rattling against the guides..? I have no clue. It went away as soon as I eased up on the throttle though.

post #7 of 18 Old 06-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech9 View Post
Any news on this ? I went home for lunch today and while I was passing someone I heard this awful noise from the engine- never heard it before. I was in 4th or 5th and didn't bother downshifting. Throttle was 75% or so. It scared the elf outta me ! Coulda been pinging, or the timing chain rattling against the guides..? I have no clue. It went away as soon as I eased up on the throttle though.
How is your chain and sprockets?
post #8 of 18 Old 06-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
So, apparently everyone runs 87 octane in their 919. My bike will ping on 87. Adding octane booster -nearly- rectifies the problem. I've tried multiple gas stations. I do not hear the noise I assume to be pinging at all on 93 octane. Since getting the bike about 9k miles ago from my father, I have always ran 93. He says it ran fine on 87, but I never really bothered to check. He also couldn't hear the loud as heck (piston slap?) that's been driving me insane so I can't really trust his word on that. As of right now, at 22k, it pings on 87.

Only mod is bafflectomy.

Run some injector cleaner.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-08-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
Run some injector cleaner.
100% certain the noise was pinging

I run 93 octane always. Thats what it says in the manual anyways. I definitely ping on 87. No unusual carbon buildup. It sounds the same as when you go over sand with sticky tires and you hear little pebbles pinging off the headers. Noticeable lack of power as well when it's happening. I would highly recommend everyone run 93 octane in their 919. I do have another noise my bike makes, but I've given up and decided that it's just a noise the bike makes and isn't damaging.

post #10 of 18 Old 06-08-2016, 06:45 PM
The Cripple

Quote:

I run 93 octane always. Thats what it says in the manual anyways. I definitely ping on 87. No unusual carbon buildup. It sounds the same as when you go over sand with sticky tires and you hear little pebbles pinging off the headers. Noticeable lack of power as well when it's happening. I would highly recommend everyone run 93 octane in their 919. I do have another noise my bike makes, but I've given up and decided that it's just a noise the bike makes and isn't damaging.
Lol, you must be new here...

Manual specifically calls for 87, not 93. Unless you are outside the US, which then you use a different octane formula than we do.

The 919 generally runs best on 87. If you're pinging on 87 in a hot climate, go up in octane until you stop pinging. Usually 89 is enough. Living in Phoenix, I've never pinged on 87 despite 118 heat. Other people might depending on numerous variables.

post #11 of 18 Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 PM
McTavish

Quote:

I run 93 octane always.
Thats what it says in the manual anyways.
Re 1
It shouldn't be necessary.

Re 2.
My manual says use 86 or higher.
Keep in mind that the manual states that the numbering system the 86 is PON based, not MON nor RON.
IF by chance your local pumps are RON based, then 86 is too low.
(RON# + MON# / 2 = PON#)
RON is Research Octane Number.
MON is Motor Octane Number.
PON is Pump Octane Number.
For any given gasoline, it's MON # is lowest, it's RON # is highest, and it's PON # is right in the middle.
While I'm at it, re gasoline that is, the manual also says:
10% Ethanol limit. ( by volume)
5 % Methanol limit but must have cosolvent(s) and inhibitor(s).
15 % MTBE
Unstated but understood is 10 % Eth or 5 % Meth or 15 % MTBE, no combinations.
Stating"93" alone in this day and age is borderline meaningless in terms of categorizing a gasoline.
danstewart42 likes this.

post #12 of 18 Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Alright, I could have sworn it said 93... :S

I have no idea why my bike would ping on anything lower than 91. It was like 60 degrees out when it was pinging on 87. I really don't get it. Unless for whatever reason, I have a more advanced ignition timing, I can't imagine why only mine pings....

post #13 of 18 Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Alright, I could have sworn it said 93... :S

I have no idea why my bike would ping on anything lower than 91. It was like 60 degrees out when it was pinging on 87. I really don't get it. Unless for whatever reason, I have a more advanced ignition timing, I can't imagine why only mine pings....
Your local gasoline #'s can't be properly assessed unless one knows what numbering system they are predicated upon.

If you truly have knock, and not pre-ignition or something else entirely different, and your gasoline is indeed 86+ PON, then something other than the gasoline is the prime cause.
Combustion Chamber Deposits ? ( of the non igniting non glowing type)
Ignition Timing ?
Cooling System ?

post #14 of 18 Old 06-09-2016, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I live in new york. 93 the is highest I can locally buy. Bike runs cool, no issues. Fans almost never engage. Im not sure how it could be combustion chamber deposits. Is there any way to find out? And beyond that if it truly is my ignition timing, I'd assume a more advanced timing would give me more power as long as i'm running 93 and not pinging...=)

post #15 of 18 Old 06-09-2016, 05:18 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
How is your chain and sprockets?
Chain is always cleaned and relubricated every 500 miles. There aren't any sticky links and the rear sprocket looks just fine but I haven't inspected the front one..

post #16 of 18 Old 06-09-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

whats the noise sound like? where is it coming from? when is it loudest?

post #17 of 18 Old 06-10-2016, 05:04 PM
oops hurts

Garage
Quote:

Only mod is bafflectomy.
If its *really* pinging, its probably rings.

post #18 of 18 Old 06-10-2016, 05:07 PM
oops hurts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech9 View Post
Hondatech I think this was another thread but if that happened, (i dont remember how many miles on yours) but the clutch would be freaking me out if it isnt the chain.

Keep in mind this bike has one of the most solid gearboxes there is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode