Pilot Power 2 CT's - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Pilot Power 2 CT's

No performance review but just put a set of these on my sons 919 Sunday and all I can say is compared to my Continental Road Attacks these practically crawled onto the wheels themselves.
Oh first really nice day in Michigan and the mosquitoes were out in full force and hungry.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jura View Post
No performance review but just put a set of these on my sons 919 Sunday and all I can say is compared to my Continental Road Attacks these practically crawled onto the wheels themselves.
Oh first really nice day in Michigan and the mosquitoes were out in full force and hungry.

Rich
you will love them. Warm them up and you can feel your hand sticking to them.

post #3 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I have really enjoyed mine!

post #4 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

2nd Best Street Tire available to us!

post #5 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
2nd Best Street Tire available to us!
Have to ask 'what's the first' ?

Rich

post #6 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Need money for parts.

best?

I have a set of Road 3's ready to go on. I'm sure they aren't on the top of your list, but longevity was a major factor in my decision.

edit: I'm slow, and now there's 2 of us asking... oh well.

post #7 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jura View Post
Have to ask 'what's the first' ?

Rich
The original Pilot Power's. Grip as good as the 2CT's in both wet & dry conditions, but don't wear out as fast...

post #8 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Quote:
The original Pilot Power's. Grip as good as the 2CT's in both wet & dry conditions, but don't wear out as fast...

Good thing I'm an old fart other wise I'd have to be taking off my Road Attacks ;-) My son will love to hear that about his new 2 CT's tires.

Rich

post #9 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganktor View Post
best?

I have a set of Road 3's ready to go on. I'm sure they aren't on the top of your list, but longevity was a major factor in my decision.

edit: I'm slow, and now there's 2 of us asking... oh well.
While I don't ride at a race pace, I used a set of Road-III's on a rainy track day and they did well. Wet tar snakes were still squirrelly, though I don't think any tire would fix that.
They have a good feel on the street when ridden at a fun ("mostly" legal ) pace.

The Road-III's profile is more rounded than the -2CTs so the bike is a little less enthusiastic heeling over into turns.... they have a more neutral feel.

I'm surprised that the original Pilot Powers do better than the follow-on -2CTs, and especially that they last longer. Most of the miles I put on the 919 were on -2CTs, and I was getting 8-9,000 miles per set with mostly commute miles (yes, traffic).
Is it all marketing hype for the -2CTs?

post #10 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
I'm surprised that the original Pilot Powers do better than the follow-on -2CTs, and especially that they last longer.
Is it all marketing hype for the -2CTs?
That is my guess... My lap times with proper race rubber are obviously quicker than I can turn consistently (& without drama) on Pilot Powers, but the Pilot Power are amazing on the track in all conditions. The key for me is that my lap times don't deviate at all between the original PP and the PP 2 CT version. The 2CT version which ironically costs more just wears out the edges much much quicker. I figure they just want to sell more tires. Having said that I believe both versions are still worth the money they cost.

post #11 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
The Cripple

interesting you like the powers in wet conditions, i hated them! had 2 sets in wet conditions and replaced both with road 2's. perhaps its different on the track when wet as opposed to the street? i dont know, could you expand more please?

post #12 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

You can carry absolute stupid lean angles in the wet with Pilot Powers. I would routinely be knee dragging with them in the rain.

One thing to know though is they absolutely 100% have to be pre-scrubbed prior to getting on a wet surface. If you don't get them properly scrubbed in before the pavement gets wet then you won't get them scrubbed at all in the rain. Instead you end up with a super slick coating of the cosmoline type substance they use on the tires at the warehouse as a preservative and the result is a slick as snot tire that slides at every opportunity. In fact your butthole will have more grip on the seat of your bike than your tires will on a wet track.

Once they are scrubbed though they are golden when the weather turns inclement.

post #13 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 PM
The Cripple

thanks ldh. i guess i just dont plain understand my experience then. both powers i had on both 919's when i bought them were used and scrubbed in well. they did ok on dry surfaces, but the second the rain hit, forget it. my butt was puckered the entire time. as soon as i switched to road 2's i could tell there was a huge difference in traction. so i'm not sure what went wrong in my experiences.

if it was just one set i could assume it was a fluke, but 2 sets, on 2 different 919's, no way. so i dont know.

post #14 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

What kind of pressures were you running?

post #15 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Le So Cal Troll

id equivilate that to track conditions vs street conditions.... ie nice pavement with lots of rubber in the "lines" no debris.... vs just the opposite on normal street.

post #16 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
The Cripple

about 29/32 i think?

or 25/29, i cant remember. i believe i run my road 2's at 30/32-33 which works really well. i know the powers were significantly less because i was trying to get as much traction as possible. i couldnt go much lower on the rear due to the 02 shock.

post #17 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:

I agree with 2ct being in the 2nd place. My 1st place go to Pilot PURE.
Got them on my Supermoto and very impressed. However one should stay away from wet grassy fields on those as a few of you on this forum already know and witnessed

post #18 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I agree with 2ct being in the 2nd place. My 1st place go to Pilot PURE.
Got them on my Supermoto and very impressed. However one should stay away from wet grassy fields on those as a few of you on this forum already know and witnessed
lol.... not even knobby dirbike tires help in wet grassy fields. street tires just make it more fun.... FLAT TRACK TIME!

post #19 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
lol.... not even knobby dirbike tires help in wet grassy fields. street tires just make it more fun.... FLAT TRACK TIME!
yeah, a few guys from this forum were riding together on some twisty roads when this supermoto dirt side spoke to me and I was easily convinced to take a little short cut through the field.
Considering that Pilot pure is a cross breed between Pilot Ones and 2CTs, you can guess the outcome. I did offer guys to take some sod home with them as I had plenty of it hanging of my SM.

post #20 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
I did offer guys to take some sod home with them as I had plenty of it hanging of my SM.
Yes, ...yes you did...

post #21 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
yeah, a few guys from this forum were riding together on some twisty roads when this supermoto dirt side spoke to me and I was easily convinced to take a little short cut through the field.
Considering that Pilot pure is a cross breed between Pilot Ones and 2CTs, you can guess the outcome. I did offer guys to take some sod home with them as I had plenty of it hanging of my SM.
best part of it all.... you picked up the bike... and kept riding as if nothing happened!

post #22 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
best part of it all.... you picked up the bike... and kept riding as if nothing happened!
+1! Didn't miss a beat, the rear wheel was still spinning I think.

post #23 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
about 29/32 i think?

or 25/29, i cant remember. i believe i run my road 2's at 30/32-33 which works really well. i know the powers were significantly less because i was trying to get as much traction as possible. i couldnt go much lower on the rear due to the 02 shock.
Not to turn it into a tire pressure thread, but how do you run those pressures . I tried them once and it felt like my rear tire was squirming all over with pilot powers. I now run about 34-35/36-38 with pilot road 2. I guess ill try alot lower at the swarm on those roads but commuting I don't think I can use those pressures.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #24 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
+1! Didn't miss a beat, the rear wheel was still spinning I think.
yeap, still was spinning
sm doesn't have the tilt sensor

post #25 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
I tried them once and it felt like my rear tire was squirming all over with pilot powers. I now run about 34-35/36-38 with pilot road 2. I guess ill try alot lower at the swarm on those roads but commuting I don't think I can use those pressures.
for one, i had the 02 shock so i was trying to use the tire as a bit of a buffer. for 2, i was trying to get as much traction as i could get out of the tires because they were not great on wet roads, and were really bad on slick surfaces.

post #26 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i have no real experience in the wet .... i mean its so cal and all.

All i can say is i LOVE pilot power 2ct's their more pointy profile leads to an easier turn in and god DAMN do they grip. Never *knocks on wood* had the front slip on me unexpectedly. The rear... only once but i was half expecting it as it was on a hot day multiple runs on the snake fully leaned over knee down to wheelie up... wacked the throttle and she just spun up... kept her WOT, and pulled it up after a lil power slide.

post #27 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Pilus Posterior

Ha I have just sold a low km set of Powers I was running on my 9er and changed to the new Continental Road Attack 2 !

The 2's are significantly better than the previous RA.

I changed as I am not a fan of the profile of sport tyres - I never get used to the drop in they promote when you are cornering hard - great on a track no doubt, but I prefer a more neutral steering tyre where I dictate the tip. I have noticed no difference in grip in the dry between the PP and RA2. The Road Attack 2 is on the sportier side of sport/touring, IMO stickier than the PR2.

I'll pop up a review when I get more kms under them, but loving them so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode