Pic Request - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 09-27-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Pic Request

Can anyone with stock front ends please take the following pics & share?

Taken facing the front wheel from the front

1) Right spacer
2) Left spacer
3) Clearance between the left caliper & rotor on both sides
4) Clearance between the right caliper & rotor on both sides

Thanks much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Flanged spacer goes on the right (throttle) side, flange facing out against the fork leg
Not sure what you're looking for on the caliper/rotor pic

Dan
post #3 of 22 Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Flanged spacer goes on the right (throttle) side, flange facing out against the fork leg
Not sure what you're looking for on the caliper/rotor pic
yup. as the other spacer buts up against the larger section of the front axle so no need for a flange.

post #4 of 22 Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I want to see the distances in relation to the rotor, fork & caliper. My front is closer to the left, that is the clutch side. So much so, that the rotor is just mm away from rubbing the caliper. Not sure what is going on with my front. I have since replaced both rotors, front axle, installed new bearings. Its almost as if the throttle side spacer is too large?

post #5 of 22 Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

In order (from front of bike) left caliper, right caliper, left spacer , left spacer farther, right spacer, right spacer farther. Not sure if it's what you're looking for. I can grab some more if you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2703147302.jpg (332.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg image-1216200254.jpg (341.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg image-319245660.jpg (39.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg image-1456978786.jpg (335.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg image-587992427.jpg (343.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg image-928266038.jpg (43.0 KB, 11 views)

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #6 of 22 Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Thats it, my flanged spaced is much larger than that! I will take a pic shortly. Wow this must really screw up my forks since they are now pushed out. Thanks Badmoon!

post #7 of 22 Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Here are the pics. The spacer looks quite different from that of Badmoon, unless of course its an illusion The next pics show the difference between the caliper & rotor clearance. The throttle side caliper is very very close to the rotor. In fact, there are rub marks from the rotor on the caliper. The other side's caliper has perfect clearance to the rotor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9309.jpg (191.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9310.jpg (170.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9312.jpg (228.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9313.jpg (258.1 KB, 17 views)

post #8 of 22 Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

You might just want to try loosening every thing up and trying to get it to seat better. The shape looks the same, mine just looks like it's seated down a little further in the wheel. You can see what happened to my wheel when I put the spacers in back words and tried to tighten everything up in this picture.... Lol what makes you think you have the wrong spacers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1809991535.jpg (43.7 KB, 15 views)

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Le So Cal Troll

how did you go about installing the front tire.

Proper way is to:

Slide axle in from clutch side, with non flanged spacer, wheel, flanged spacer (from clutch side to throttle side), and align groove on clutch side of axle with edge of outer fork (so ~1/4in of the axle is sticking out).

Tighten clutch side pinch bolts. Throttle side pinch bolts are NOT TIGHT.

Thread in axle bolt, and tighten to specified torque.

Tighten throttle side pinch bolts.

Loosen clutch side pinch bolts (yes the ones you initially tightened), and rock the bike back n forth to put the front suspension through fullish movement. This allows to forks to find home and proper spacing apart. Retighten clutch side pinch bolts.

post #10 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 06:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

It's important to note, the "groove" is circular around the axle, and lines up with the outside face of the fork. When I first heard of a groove to line up it was thinking there was a notch or something that needed to be lined up and I had to spin the axle for it to be in line. It messed me up for like 45 min before I realized I'm stupid... It might be a little difficult to get this to seat if everything isn't lined up right... And torquing it down would probably suck it right anyways, but it's worth checking... Not sure how much that would throw everything off.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #11 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

You can kind of seen the groove in this picture. This is the throttle side axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2099591313.jpg (376.9 KB, 14 views)

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #12 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
I'm guessing that that was how they compensated for the bent axle. And probably bent forks.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #13 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Ok this is going to be a long post so bear with me, perhaps I should just start another thread with a different title or change the title of this thread.

Anyway here are the order of events that have lead me to this point. Hope it doesn't put you guys to sleep

1) I buy the bike knowing that it has gouged/scratched right rotor. I do not notice any pulsating on my test ride so I didnt give it any thought. I also am aware that it is a crashed bike & most things, if not all, have been repaired. Test ride reveals everything OK with exception of flattened tires due to 30 psi air pressure

2) Bring it home, spend the weekend replacing all maintenance items. Bike feels much better engine wise with new oil, filter & plugs.

3) Go for my first commute. My commute is 110 miles round trip consisting 90% highway. I get my kicks on the on/off ramps but otherwise I am bolt upright for most of the commute

4) it is here that I notice the front pulsating for the first time & I immediately attribute it to the scratched rotor. I start to look out for a replacement & thats when I update this thread. https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...wap-29967.html

5) I acquire the replacement rotor & proceed to install it this week.While remove the front axle, I notice that it is incredibly hard to get it out. It just would not budge. I had to hammer it out, used a rubber mallet & even then I had to use a small screwdriver's plastic end to really drive the thing out. I didn't give it much thought then since it was the first time I removed this bike's axle & i thought thats how it is. While installing, same thing, I had to hammer it in. At that time too, I noticed the clearance problem. At this time I was convinced that my axle was screwed up too.

6) Go for a test ride & the pulsating has worsened. My suspicions were true. I order a CBR 600F4i axle off Ebay which shares the same part no. as ours. My dealer couldn't get me a new axle as it was on back order till Oct. I also order a new bearing kit.

7) Once the axle & bearings arrive, I dissemble my front end again. Once I have it apart, I try the CBR axle & it slides right in with NO problems. The bearings were shot too as they wouldn't spin with your fingers. Even with the axle in, they spinned very jerkily. I changed out the bearings & put everything back together following the process outlined in the service manual & I was surprised at how easily the axle went in through the fork, wheel & the other fork. Anyway after assembly, I still see that the clearance is not correct, though marginally better than before.

8) I got for a test ride really hoping that the pulsating has gone but alas no. It is 90% gone but the 10% is still there. It is there as soon as you squeeze the brake lever but once you give pressure it goes away. So here I am & this point I am tempted to change the forks & then the wheel itself.

So, this is why I asked for the pics to see if there is something wrong with my assembly.

post #14 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

The first thing I would do is get the front wheel off the ground and spin it to see what wobbles, something has to be bent, probably the wheel. did you replace both rotors or just the rashed one? Next I'd pull both forks and roll them on a flat surface. Something else is wrong and you should probably find it and fix it. Lots of parts floating around here on WT

Dan
post #15 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Le So Cal Troll

That as well as are you sure the bearings are fully seated in the wheel... It looks like the throttle side bearing isn't fully pushed into the wheel causing the flanged spacer to be too far out like in the pics causing the caliper alignment issues.

But also I would check the wheel to make sure its not bent.

post #16 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

OK took the entire front end apart. Found the problem, was facing me right in the face.

1) Front wheel is bent for sure on the right side. On my home made wheel rotating apparatus, the right visibly moves laterally when moving the wheel. You dont even need to strain to see it. So this is what is causing the pulsations.

2) The right fork was hit hard from the bottom, this had slightly tweaked the axle hole. The axle can't make it all way & gets stuck mid way. This is the reason for the clearance issue.

The new bearings are seated perfectly, as there is no gap between the bearings & the inner spacer. Of course that is moot at this point as I am going to change my wheel.

What can be done about the forks? I don't want to spend at this point as I have a lot into this bike than I had intended. Cheaper to just change the right lower? Can that even be done? Or go all out & get CBR 600 F4i forks? For that I will have to spend a lot of time acquiring one & then spend on heavier springs. Suggestions?

post #17 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Clorox has a FRONT WHEEL

Dan
post #18 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Quite a few forks and fork bits on Fleabay too

Dan
post #19 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Le So Cal Troll

02 Honda CB900F Hornet 919 CB900 Right Fork Tube | eBay

and boom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-Honda-CB9...item1e80520f94

Probably be able to do combined shippipng... those forks are CHEAP.

post #20 of 22 Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
OK took the entire front end apart. Found the problem, was facing me right in the face.

1) Front wheel is bent for sure on the right side. On my home made wheel rotating apparatus, the right visibly moves laterally when moving the wheel. You dont even need to strain to see it. So this is what is causing the pulsations.

2) The right fork was hit hard from the bottom, this had slightly tweaked the axle hole. The axle can't make it all way & gets stuck mid way. This is the reason for the clearance issue.

The new bearings are seated perfectly, as there is no gap between the bearings & the inner spacer. Of course that is moot at this point as I am going to change my wheel.

What can be done about the forks? I don't want to spend at this point as I have a lot into this bike than I had intended. Cheaper to just change the right lower? Can that even be done? Or go all out & get CBR 600 F4i forks? For that I will have to spend a lot of time acquiring one & then spend on heavier springs. Suggestions?
02-03 forks are often available cheaply here and on eBay because they aren't adjustable so nobody wants them; I recently gave away a perfectly good set of 02 forks to another member here who needed them after getting minivanned. The 04-07 adjustable forks are a popular no-mod upgrade; the important part for you and your 06 is that you *can* use the 02-03 externals and swap the adjustable 04-07 parts into them.

Front wheels aren't terribly expensive either, and as someone pointed out our member Clorox has a good front wheel for sale for $100+ shipping.

Chances are that right fork stanchion is bent, as is the left (due to what the impact forces sound like). Replace the wheel and I'd suggest snagging both forks just to eliminate any more surprises. You should be able to get away with everything for $2-300 or so.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #21 of 22 Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the support guys, I am already in communication with Clorox for the front wheel. Just waiting for a total shipped with the wind shield he is selling.

As for the forks, I am going to think about what to do. My long term plan was to replace the forks with that from the CBR 600 F4. I am going to see if I can make these forks work for the next few months till I can save for the CBR front end. I have checked these thoroughly & they are not bent. Glass table test, tape measure test & they pass. I am going to try to tweak that hole to see if I can get the axle through. Once that is done, I wont have alignment problems.

post #22 of 22 Old 09-29-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Here are some pics & videos. You will have to watch the wheel video on full HD to see the rotor movements. Was hard to capture it over the phone camera. Pics speak for themselves, you can see that damage at the bottom of the fork has closed up the gap which prevents the axle the from coming all the way. I am going to try & open that gap.

VID 20130928 173301 441 - YouTube

VID 20130928 173058 383 - YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130928_172925_362.jpg (248.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130928_172941_034.jpg (340.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130928_173041_106.jpg (236.4 KB, 13 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode