PC3 maps and tuning... - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Ian

PC3 maps and tuning...

Well I finally picked up a PC3 usb for my 919. I have never used one before, but understand the basic idea of how they work.

There is no bike dyno in Nova Scotia, but I may travel out of the province for a tune next spring.

I am looking for a map designed for a 900rr header specifically at low elevation.

Anyone have a map they would recommend? Whats your favorite and why? Also could someone point me in the dirrection of the "drop box" so I can see what we have available.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Ginger-prick

I've tried a few different maps out of the DropBox. But I've been on a zero map for the last year. I keep planning to go get a custom map, but never get around to it.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #3 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
I've tried a few different maps out of the DropBox. But I've been on a zero map for the last year. I keep planning to go get a custom map, but never get around to it.
What benefit have you found running a zero map, versus stock map?

I have a PC3 on the way to me, my bike is bone stock.

"F.N.G."

post #4 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Ginger-prick

I haven't noticed a difference. I assumed they were the same thing. As in, the pc3 was moot and didn't adjust any off of what the stop pcm set.

2007 Honda 919.
post #5 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

The zero map is the same as not running a PCIII at all. No changes whatsoever to the map.

post #6 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Ginger-prick

I just put in the "factory air filter, factory exhaust" map. I'll see how it fairs.
I have factory air filter and debaffled factory exhaust, and hollow convertor. But don't see a map with that configuration.

2007 Honda 919.
post #7 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
Well I finally picked up a PC3 usb for my 919. I have never used one before, but understand the basic idea of how they work.

There is no bike dyno in Nova Scotia, but I may travel out of the province for a tune next spring.

I am looking for a map designed for a 900rr header specifically at low elevation.

Anyone have a map they would recommend? Whats your favorite and why? Also could someone point me in the dirrection of the "drop box" so I can see what we have available.

Once you get to the drop box:
WT Shared/919/Power Commander Files/McRom044 Compilation/Maps/919/w 900 RR headers and there within is what I have scrounged or been given so far.
There are 4 maps there.
Best Regards !

post #8 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Once you get to the drop box:
WT Shared/919/Power Commander Files/McRom044 Compilation/Maps/919/w 900 RR headers and there within is what I have scrounged or been given so far.
There are 4 maps there.
Best Regards !
Excellent! As always ... thank you sir.

post #9 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 07:15 PM
McTavish

Quote:

A couple of years ago, I got some time with LDH on the phone on PCs.
He knows his stuff, and his map work is seriously good)
I was asking about elevation as well.
My recollection is he told me "4000 ft" was his opinion of a custom map still being good/good enough as function of whatever the level of inaccuracy the MAP was introducing as a function of actual elevation vs test elevation. In retrospect, I think he meant a +/- 2000 ft band for a total band of 4000 ft.
This makes sense to me and sounds reasonable, as surely outside that, whatever the accuracy of the MAP is, combined with the fact there is no co signalling Mass Airflow Sensor, means a sharper result will derived by local testing and tuning than relying on maps derived at altitudes many thousands of feet away from your locale.

I suggest you try googlits map first.

Oh yes, 4: 1 and 4:2:1 maps look different than 4:2:1:2 maps, that's something else he told me, which started explaining to me what priorly had looked like bizarre maps. And if a pipe is mismatched to the rest of the engine, more extreme mapping adjustments become necessary.

post #10 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Excellent! As always ... thank you sir.

Still have to get to your neck of the woods re work travel, should do so this year sometime.
Will look you up.
Part of the problem is getting past the pile of your parts between me and the door !

post #11 of 55 Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
A couple of years ago, I got some time with LDH on the phone on PCs.
He knows his stuff, and his map work is seriously good)
I was asking about elevation as well.
My recollection is he told me "4000 ft" was his opinion of a custom map still being good/good enough as function of whatever the level of inaccuracy the MAP was introducing as a function of actual elevation vs test elevation. In retrospect, I think he meant a +/- 2000 ft band for a total band of 4000 ft.
This makes sense to me and sounds reasonable, as surely outside that, whatever the accuracy of the MAP is, combined with the fact there is no co signalling Mass Airflow Sensor, means a sharper result will derived by local testing and tuning than relying on maps derived at altitudes many thousands of feet away from your locale.

I suggest you try googlits map first.

Oh yes, 4: 1 and 4:2:1 maps look different than 4:2:1:2 maps, that's something else he told me, which started explaining to me what priorly had looked like bizarre maps. And if a pipe is mismatched to the rest of the engine, more extreme mapping adjustments become necessary.
Great info thanks.

Would using a wideband 02 be beneficial with road tuning? I have access to one? Might be tricky to data log while riding? Maybe a laptop in a back pack.

Quote:
Still have to get to your neck of the woods re work travel, should do so this year sometime.
Will look you up.
Part of the problem is getting past the pile of your parts between me and the door !
Want to buy a crank/piston and rods from a '06 919? Haha.

Seriously though if/when you come to the maritimes we have to get together.

post #12 of 55 Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Dropbox link...
http://db.tt/76Je3yF4

...on my Droid.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #13 of 55 Old 08-15-2013, 01:09 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Great info thanks.

Would using a wideband 02 be beneficial with road tuning? I have access to one? Might be tricky to data log while riding? Maybe a laptop in a back pack.

Want to buy a crank/piston and rods from a '06 919? Haha.

Seriously though if/when you come to the maritimes we have to get together.
As I buy your engine piece by piece ....... what a giggle.

I suppose O2 sensing could be used to help, that's what the latest PCs use as part of Autotune. But that does not yield the same results as really good mapping by a good dyno guy. Frankly, there are enough good maps out there to use, that if one wants better, why not get dyno'd and mapped right by someone really good at it. There's more to mapping that just trying to get ideal exhaust gas results.

post #14 of 55 Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
There's more to mapping that just trying to get ideal exhaust gas results.
I thought I read someplace the LDH said that the Autotune unit by PC created a custom map for his bike that was very close to the map created by his dyno guy.

I know just enough to be dangerous and figured the Autotune unit (on my VFR) would be a great idea. I'd rather get the bike dynoed... but I don't want to take my bike to someone who doesn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground and fcuk me 6 ways from Sunday.

[This space for rent]
post #15 of 55 Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
I thought I read someplace the LDH said that the Autotune unit by PC created a custom map for his bike that was very close to the map created by his dyno guy.

I know just enough to be dangerous and figured the Autotune unit (on my VFR) would be a great idea. I'd rather get the bike dynoed... but I don't want to take my bike to someone who doesn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground and fcuk me 6 ways from Sunday.

I do all my own dyno work after having made my first dyno run at 12 years old There was a time when I spent more hours per week on the dyno than I did doing anything else...

The map the AutoTune module created was for all practical comparisons identical to the one I created on the dyno. That article can be read here: ROGUE RACING CBR1000RR PC-V Page

Back to the elevation issue. I firmly believe a map on most Fi bikes (especially Honda's) is good for about 4000 feet of elevation change. For example a map made at sea level is good to around 4000' and will remain for the most part optimal or as optimal as it can be based on the thinning air etc. Used consistently at a higher altitude I would prefer to see a new map created although it is not 100% necessary, but the real issue is a map at any altitude is only as good as the original map tuner made it. A good map at sea level is going to continue to be a pretty good map at 4000' or higher even as performance does degrade due to environmental factors, but a crappy map made at sea level is going to run worse at 4000' than that quality map will.

post #16 of 55 Old 08-15-2013, 04:02 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post

The map the AutoTune module created was for all practical comparisons identical to the one I created on the dyno. That article can be read here: ROGUE RACING CBR1000RR PC-V Page

Back to the elevation issue. I firmly believe a map on most Fi bikes (especially Honda's) is good for about 4000 feet of elevation change. For example a map made at sea level is good to around 4000' and will remain for the most part optimal or as optimal as it can be based on the thinning air etc. Used consistently at a higher altitude I would prefer to see a new map created although it is not 100% necessary, but the real issue is a map at any altitude is only as good as the original map tuner made it. A good map at sea level is going to continue to be a pretty good map at 4000' or higher even as performance does degrade due to environmental factors, but a crappy map made at sea level is going to run worse at 4000' than that quality map will.
Thanks for this post.
I was surprised to read your comments on the AutoTune, it being that good is what I am referring to.
I've now got it straight on the elevation issue, and for sure, a crap map is a crap map and a good map is a good map. (a good/good example is your Version 4 Mori based map)

post #17 of 55 Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Thanks for this post.
I was surprised to read your comments on the AutoTune, it being that good is what I am referring to.
I've now got it straight on the elevation issue, and for sure, a crap map is a crap map and a good map is a good map. (a good/good example is your Version 4 Mori based map)

The AutoTune is just a tool, but it happens to be a very good and powerful tool. Used properly with a healthy understanding of tuning principles and procedures it will net excellent results. Used haphazardly by someone that thinks they know a lot more than they actually do and you could literally destroy your motor even with many of the software safeguards in place.

post #18 of 55 Old 08-16-2013, 08:06 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Used haphazardly by someone that thinks they know a lot more than they actually do and you could literally destroy your motor even with many of the software safeguards in place.

I was hoping this would be a fool proof tool to get better fueling....

[This space for rent]
post #19 of 55 Old 08-16-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Just installed my PC3 and uploaded G00g3lit's map for the 900rr header.

WOW! What a difference!!!

The throttle input seems much more linear & the bike feels much more smooth in first and second gear. Power delivery has improved across the board and the bike pulls hard!

Should have picked one of these up a while ago. I should probably sync the throttle boddies, and make sure the TPS is calibrated/set up properly since I messed with it in the spring.

post #20 of 55 Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Do not even think about calibrating the Throttle Bodies. There are very few gauges capable of being more accurate than what was already done at factory. Most people that try that just end up making it worse or in most cases screwing up a perfectly synced set of TB's because the gauge calibration is incorrect.

post #21 of 55 Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Glad my map works well for you! What elevation are you at? I'm at 4800. Feet, that is, lol.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #22 of 55 Old 08-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Centurion

So today im fitting a Yoshi side mount like Helimech but on to stock headers. Reckon Googl3its map would work for that as a start point.

Now that LDH has decided to kill my credit card balance.

post #23 of 55 Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Just installed my PC3 and uploaded G00g3lit's map for the 900rr header.

WOW! What a difference!!!

The throttle input seems much more linear & the bike feels much more smooth in first and second gear. Power delivery has improved across the board and the bike pulls hard!

Should have picked one of these up a while ago. I should probably sync the throttle boddies, and make sure the TPS is calibrated/set up properly since I messed with it in the spring.
Synch the PC3 to the ECU - yes.
Do it right so do both Closed and Open.
Mess with the TBs - no.

Believer now, eh ?

post #24 of 55 Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i dunno my homemade manometer couldnt be more simple and is VERY sensitive and accurate as its all relative.

post #25 of 55 Old 08-17-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Glad my map works well for you! What elevation are you at? I'm at 4800. Feet, that is, lol.
I am only @ 500ft!
but it seems to work really well. I am going to try a different map on the commute home today see is it differs much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
So today im fitting a Yoshi side mount like Helimech but on to stock headers. Reckon Googl3its map would work for that as a start point.

Now that LDH has decided to kill my credit card balance.
Possibly. Its hard to say, theee are a bunch of maps in the drop box I am sure something in there will fit the bill.

Quote:
Synch the PC3 to the ECU - yes.
Do it right so do both Closed and Open.
Mess with the TBs - no.

Believer now, eh ?
Big time believer! The throttle is so much smoother, it feels like a different machine. I synced the TPS-PC3 before my commute this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
i dunno my homemade manometer couldnt be more simple and is VERY sensitive and accurate as its all relative.
I tried to diy a manometer before but it didn't work out well. A co-worker has a digital manometer that he's going to lend me to calibrate them.

post #26 of 55 Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Milites Gregarius

How does one sync the TPS and the PC3?

"F.N.G."
post #27 of 55 Old 08-17-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Ian

Its on pg.5 of the PC3 user's guide located in the "drop box". It is very simple and just takes a minute.

post #28 of 55 Old 06-23-2017, 12:28 AM
Tirone

Did you eventually stick with g00gl3it's map? I just moved to sea level and with the temp increases I'm running pretty rich.

post #29 of 55 Old 06-23-2017, 08:51 AM
Moto-Doc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollindurty View Post
Did you eventually stick with g00gl3it's map? I just moved to sea level and with the temp increases I'm running pretty rich.
Wow 4 year thread resurrection... LOL

Still very good information here!

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #30 of 55 Old 06-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Tirone

Lol, I'm always lurking

post #31 of 55 Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 PM
Discen

Garage
Back from the dead again. My PC3 is on the way, so that my otherwise-stock 919 plays nice with my Delkevic Y-Pipe/Slip-ons with stock header.

Anyone have any starting map suggestions that will make the bike rideable until I can get some dyno time? I'm in Chicago which I guess is pretty much sea level.

Al
post #32 of 55 Old 02-24-2018, 09:09 PM
919 Rider

ahung12 when I was running my Delks the best map was the one for Yoshimura. I think it was 005? I tried all the others and they just felt off in places. I'm pretty sure Nealio also runs the Yoshi map. Also I think I tweeked the fueling, remove fuel, at low thottle and low revs to remove some of the surging and abrupt on/off throttle. I still have the map on my computer at home. I'm in the bush on my phone at the moment.

post #33 of 55 Old 02-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
ahung12 when I was running my Delks the best map was the one for Yoshimura. I think it was 005? I tried all the others and they just felt off in places. I'm pretty sure Nealio also runs the Yoshi map. Also I think I tweeked the fueling, remove fuel, at low thottle and low revs to remove some of the surging and abrupt on/off throttle. I still have the map on my computer at home. I'm in the bush on my phone at the moment.
Ok thanks! I'm in the dropbox 919 maps folder, see a bunch of maps including M112-501 through 505. One of those maybe?

Al
post #34 of 55 Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 PM
919 Rider

I think I got my Yoshi map direct from dynajets website. It's number M112-005. It was easy to get acess to their maps once but I think they have beefed up their sites security. My bike ran great with this map and Delks. To smooth out the low end even further I cut and paste the low values, throttle position 2 and down for all rpm's, from Pvster 919 Gen 2 Sato map.
I'm still using the Delkevic Y link pipe but with some very open cans. I was running lean with the Yoshi map on deceleration. I've switched over to Pvster 919 Erion map. Bike is running perfect, no deceleration pop and very smooth low down. Pulls hard all the way and howls wide open. I am running rich though but bike seems to be loving it. No bucking at low constant speed, smooth when applying or reducing throttle. The idle doesn't pulse anymore and I can pull away from a dead stop with just the clutch, no stalling or chugging. Just brilliant. So it might be worth a try too.
I liked Pvster's maps as they compared to the others have had fueling adjustments at low values. This is where I had most of my problems.
Your going to enjoy playing around with that pc111usb. I was all over that thing like a bad rash when I first got it.

post #35 of 55 Old 02-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Discen

Garage
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Al
post #36 of 55 Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Always suggested is also trying the mw919mori4 map.
It's an excellent map for all riding conditions, be it threading a needle in 1st gear creepy crawly traffic, touring, or track days.

post #37 of 55 Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Discen

Garage
I'll give that a shot too.

If I'm understanding this correctly, I can use the map comparison tool to compare values between for example the mw919mori4 and m112-005, and depending on where I'm seeing issues "pick" the values from the maps that perform better in those areas and adjust accordingly. Is that right?

Al
post #38 of 55 Old 02-26-2018, 10:32 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
I'll give that a shot too.

If I'm understanding this correctly, I can use the map comparison tool to compare values between for example the mw919mori4 and m112-005, and depending on where I'm seeing issues "pick" the values from the maps that perform better in those areas and adjust accordingly. Is that right?
Maps can be compared as described, with great insights realized by careful scrutiny.
A good map more often than not just gets made worse by tinkering.

For a max power map that is great for track days, try the 919LBSato-DK.
A more refined version of it that makes it more streetable is 919LBSato-DK-MW.

My paid custom map is Ben W Map for Sandy 919, that map being Ben's picky dyno work variation of the mw919mori4 map.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #39 of 55 Old 02-26-2018, 10:33 PM
McTavish

And be sure to synch the PC to your TP !

post #40 of 55 Old 03-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Discen

Garage
Quote:
And be sure to synch the PC to your TP !
Are you referring to the open/closed throttle position settings? The tutorials indicate only closed needs to be reset usually, and setting open requires WOT but is not usually needed. I remember reading on here that the bike just needs to be on, but not running, and I can still pin the throttle to set the open position - is this true?

Going to do some map testing tomorrow.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode