Opened brake fluid shelf life - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

For the mechanics who have or are working on brakes daily, how long do you guys keep the brake fluid on the shelf before opening a new bottle?

I have a liter of ATE dot4 super blue with about 3/4 of the metal can left from a change I did in early August and only been opened that time. It's been kept inside where the temps have always between 65-75* Is it still good to use at 2 months old?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
For the mechanics who have or are working on brakes daily, how long do you guys keep the brake fluid on the shelf before opening a new bottle?

I have a liter of ATE dot4 super blue with about 3/4 of the metal can left from a change I did in early August and only been opened that time. It's been kept inside where the temps have always between 65-75* Is it still good to use at 2 months old?
I never re-use an open bottle, except to pour crap fluid back in and chuck it.

For every bleed, new bottle. That's why I don't bother buying the big bottles - save for cars and trucks.

That being said, it's personal preference, and it's not like it's for a racing application, so you'd probably be ok using it if it had a good seal. I just prefer not to, I want the best brakes I can get.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1

If you've kept a cover over it so dust doesn't get in (I don't know what the metal can looks like; if it has a lid or not) I think you should be fine. Honda insists that you use a fresh one everytime for feer of contamination. I'm sure expiration is not a concern at all.
~I'm not a mechanic~

post #4 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I will use it from an opened container, but I keep the cap sealed tight.
~I'm a cheap bastard~

post #5 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Tirone shoelaces

The main concern is water.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic - meaning it will absorb & hold water from the humidity in the air. This lowers the boiling point of the (now contaminated) fluid, can cause corrosion, and other bad things.

More specifically:
MOST brake fluid is hygroscopic. DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 brake fluids are Glycol based and will absorb & hold moisture.
DOT 5 is silicone based and is not susceptible to moisture uptake. However, it is not recommended for motorcycle use for other reasons.

Brake fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you keep the container well-sealed to prevent moisture uptake, DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 brake fluids are OK to use from opened containers.

ETA:
Over time DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 brake fluids will absorb moisture through seals and hoses. This is the main reason why regular brake fluid flushes are recommended.

CB550-Four; CB750F; VF1000F
750 Nighthawk; CB900F; CBR1000rr
post #6 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Ian

If it's properly sealed it's good to go. The problem is they absorb moisture from the atmosphere, so if it's open to the enviroment it will become contaminated. I just cap the bottle asap, and put a bead of RTV around the cap if I am going to keep it.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
I just cap the bottle asap, and put a bead of RTV around the cap if I am going to keep it.
^^ good idea! I also squeeze the bottle to get most of the air out, then if it sucks any back in I'll know as the sides aren't caved in anymore.

I admit - I re-used opened containers on my dirt bikes. Just not the street bike.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #8 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I think I'll give it a go, if it doesn't perform I'll put a fresh bottle in. So glad I put speed bleeders on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20120927_133523.jpg (51.9 KB, 7 views)

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Well, since you have speed bleeders, this won't work, but on your next bike with standard bleeder screws, just do a reverse bleed! It was so easy!

I just put clear tubing on the bleed valve, zip tied it TIGHT, then filled a hefty syringe and attached the other end to it, filled it with fluid, then cracked open the valve and start pushing fluid in. Zip tie on the syringe end helps,too, you don't want fluid squirting everywhere!

Took only two full syringes before filling the master, then I did a standard bleed back down to eliminate any small bubbles, but I had SOLID feel on the rear brake in 5 pumps. Unreal. Took 5 minutes, total.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode