Oil thread! Queue the groans. But srsly just a question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Oil thread! Queue the groans. But srsly just a question

So I read through every oil thread I could find on here, and it seems like the general consensus is rotella and a longer filter (not saying everyone agrees, this just seems like the most repeated) but it seems like everyone changes their oil way before the suggested mileage by Honda. Why is this? Isn't the point of using synthetic to last longer and not change as much (among other things) I put on about 2500 miles a month or more, and I had fully intended on running the full 8000 miles (if not more) but according to some people suggestions I'd be changing every month. Suggestions/ideas/reasoning is welcome. Ready, set, oil thread!...:3

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Imaginifer

Since you're in Wisconsin (I think) I expect you ride mostly from spring until fall and the bike sits for maybe five months (mid-October to mid-March). Assuming all that then put fresh oil and a filter in when you put it away in the fall, and once in the middle of the riding season if you are using synthetic or twice during the riding season if you're using regular oil.

Rotella oil and Purolator PureONE PL14610 filters (same one that my Civic uses) are hard to beat for both price and quality.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #3 of 15 Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetMan View Post
Since you're in Wisconsin (I think) I expect you ride mostly from spring until fall and the bike sits for maybe five months (mid-October to mid-March). Assuming all that then put fresh oil and a filter in when you put it away in the fall, and once in the middle of the riding season if you are using synthetic or twice during the riding season if you're using regular oil.

Rotella oil and Purolator PureONE PL14610 filters (same one that my Civic uses) are hard to beat for both price and quality.
+1 on changing the oil before long term storage. As far as the intervals, you would probably be fine at 8K miles. I change mine at 4K, no real reason other than I like to baby my bike and it seems to shift a little better with fresh oil.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I do mine every 4k as well. I like to tell myself that close to redline accelerations keep the intake side of the engine clean... So I do.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 15 Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I usually make it pretty deep into november, and mid march is about right... my rule is no riding after they start salting the roads, and no riding until we get a good rain storm in spring to wash the salt of the roads... It's always hard to wait in spring, but that shit is not good. Thanks for the input.

post #6 of 15 Old 06-13-2013, 09:15 PM
The Cripple

I don't go by mileage when changing my oil. I go by feel. I can tell when its time for an oil change when the transmission becomes clunky again. I can go anywhere from 2.5k miles to 5k miles between changes, just depends on the type of riding.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

+1 to the feel, I can always tell when the oil needs changing by the shifts between 1st and 2nd. Much smoother with good fresh oil. The way I see it, if I’m going to be changing the oil every 4-8k or at least once a year, why spend the money on expensive oils. I do use a longer Bosch filter though. Makes since to me to keep the oil, which ever you choose, as particulate free as possible.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #8 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

It is a Honda....As long as there's oil in it, your good.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #9 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

You know I thought all you guys were crazy when you said you could tell the difference in shifting etc with fresh oil, but holy cow you really can. I stand corrected. Follow up questions: Some people suggest running two oil changes with the same filter, is this still suggested if I'm running 5000-8000 between changes, or should I be changing every time then? I know there's no "right" answer, just looking for opinions. Also, my knowledge of oil is small, so could anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages/things to look for/watch out for when running 5w-40 instead of the recomended 15w-40?

post #10 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 11:54 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

5w will be easier to start in the cold. The 5w40 is also synthetic as far as diesel oils go.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Just One More Opinion

I'm old school in my approach:

Shell Rotella T6 and a new factory filter @ 3-4K

I also change the crush washer at the same interval.

Fluids and filters are cheap insurance to maintain your ride in top condition. Not changing the filter leaves contaminated oil in the filter to mix with fresh oil. The crush washer on the drain plug is meant to be changed even if torqued to spec. Yes, you can cut corners and save some loot, but I have a tendency to keep my bikes and ride them till they drop. I ended up repairing the front cover on my '81 Wing when the threads stripped out of the drain plug hole because I did not change the washer and did not use a torque wrench regularly. It was retired after 146,352 miles and 24 years of service.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #12 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I got that much, but is there any negatives to the 5w if its not cold? We haven't had a day over 80 by much yet this year, so it's not super hot here for sure though

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #13 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Hastatus Prior

I change my filter every time, I mean it's not like they are $50 a pop.

and yeah, I usually go every 3k miles, but I can always feel shifts start getting notchy around 2800 miles....same on the 919 and the viffer it seems

I'm sure Honda knows what they are doing with the 8000 mile oil changes, but it makes me feel better, and it can't hurt.

I run the GN4, new OEM filter and crush washer everytime.

OIL THREADS FTW

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #14 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I swap filters every time also, I use the Mighty M4612 filters since we have a regular supply of them here at the dealership and they're inexpensive. I've been running the Rotell T 15w40 and like it, shifting starts getting "notchy" at around 2800 miles so about then i addd a jug of Roetlla to my walmart shopping list.

Dan
post #15 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I use the extended Bosch filter every time even at 4k. $7 bucks at most auto stores. Mobil 1 Delvac shifts better for me. Anyone having issues with shifting on Rotella ought to try it for 1 or 2 changes. I swear it shifts smoother after 3000 miles on the oil and also no false neutrals, where as both Rotella gets me in no-mans-land once in a blue moon after 2500 miles.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode