Oil pressure indicator keeps turning on - '04 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Oil pressure indicator keeps turning on - '04 919

Hi,
I would really appreciate some help here. The low oil pressure indicator on my 2004 919 keeps lighting up. I put in a whole quart of oil yesterday but today it still lit up a few times. I'm noticing it happens most often when I'm revving up on 1st and about to shift to 2nd with the bike suddenly going limp on me, a few times it stalled and switched off. There doesn't seem to be a leak because I didn't see anything on the garage floor.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I cant say as to why this is happing but If I where you I would drain the oil . Change filter put 3 and 3/4 quarts back in , and stand your bike strait up and look at the glass oil window on the right side of your engine and make sure its in the middle of the two lines .. if it is and your still having this prob its some sort of sensor electrical prob i would guess .. I'm sure some one will be along shortly to be explain that side of the prob ,, but just randomly adding quarts of oil to a bike ... not a good Idea ...

post #3 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Hello, Welcome,
As TK Said, have you looked at the sight glass on the side of the bike? Its on the right side towards the bottom. You cant check it on the sidestand, you need to stand the bike up on a level surface as TK said it should be between the lines.

Where in CO are you?? I'm in Ft Collins, if your close I would be happy to help you check it out, or go for a ride sometime.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato

post #4 of 20 Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for your quick replies. I had checked the oil level and did that once again yesterday after reaching home. The oil level is over the upper mark, so I probably need to drain it a bit. The filter is probably also due for a change, I bought the bike last year and haven't done an oil change yet.

Justintyme73, I'm in Denver, so it's not too close to you but thanks for the offer anyways.

post #5 of 20 Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Guzzi Man

I wouldn't ride it much until someone does a check on the oil pressure. Low oil pressure could ruin the engine.I would hate to be doing 80mph and have the motor lock up.
Ride safe.

post #6 of 20 Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I would do an oil/ filter change first. Be sure to get that extra oil out of there, an overfill may be causing the lack of pressure. Get it to where it belongs in the sight glass and see if the problem persists. If it has a fresh filter and the correct amount of oil and the light comes on we have to diagnose further.

post #7 of 20 Old 05-30-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the replies. I took out the oil, there definitely was too much of it and refilled it to the mark and the light hasn't come on for 1000 miles and more (I did a 3 day ride to Tetons, Yellowstone and back), so maybe it's fixed now.

On the ride, the wind was killing at speeds over 100 through Wyoming, need to do something about it. I didn't want to spoil the look with a windscreen but may have to change my mind about that. While the short OEM screens look nicer and seem to be back in the market, they're probably quite useless. Thinking of checking out one in the local dealership.

post #8 of 20 Old 05-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Did you change the filter also? The first thing I would do to a used bike is change the oil and filter.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 20 Old 05-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

2 helpfull hints.Use alumin foil to keep oil from the filter off your pipes.Place a mirror to side so you can check your oil level from the bike seat.

post #10 of 20 Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvetree View Post
2 helpfull hints.Use alumin foil to keep oil from the filter off your pipes.Place a mirror to side so you can check your oil level from the bike seat.
a mirror lets not get to fancy all thou a good idea...if you cant hold the brake and pull the bike level with your right arm and hold it level while you bend down to look...then the bikes to big for you

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #11 of 20 Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
a mirror lets not get to fancy all thou a good idea...if you cant hold the brake and pull the bike level with your right arm and hold it level while you bend down to look...then the bikes to big for you
He added a quart without checking the level.I think the mirror is a safe bet.

Besides It just happened to be there,I'm like cool I should have done that a long time ago.

post #12 of 20 Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet View Post
Justintyme73, I'm in Denver, so it's not too close to you but thanks for the offer anyways.
What area of Denver??

post #13 of 20 Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 AM
no max no more

Quote:
He added a quart without checking the level.I think the mirror is a safe bet.

Besides It just happened to be there,I'm like cool I should have done that a long time ago.
you sure thats all your using the mirror for lol...just kidding..cool idea

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #14 of 20 Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Did you change the filter also? The first thing I would do to a used bike is change the oil and filter.
What's another couple thousand miles?

post #15 of 20 Old 05-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Legalize it please?

Quote:
Good idea dude!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #16 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 04:38 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk919 View Post
Change filter put 3 and 3/4 quarts back in
Manual says 4 3/4 doesn't it? I use the over size filter PL 14610, which is a 1/2 longer I think and end up putting 5 in to get it to be where it's supposed to be.

And to the OP about the wind issues, the OEM screen makes a world of difference with anything over 75 mph. Doesn't add any wind noise either.

post #17 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg74 View Post
Manual says 4 3/4 doesn't it? I use the over size filter PL 14610, which is a 1/2 longer I think and end up putting 5 in to get it to be where it's supposed to be.

And to the OP about the wind issues, the OEM screen makes a world of difference with anything over 75 mph. Doesn't add any wind noise either.
NO!!!!!! 3.78liters. Just shy of 4 quarts. And I use the large #303kn filter

You are overfilling the bike!!! Bad!!!

post #18 of 20 Old 09-12-2009, 06:47 PM

My god this dude bought a used bike without even knowing when the oil was last changed, rode it until the oil light came on, then added a quart of oil, then drained a quart of oil out of it, THEN rode it another 1000 miles+ and is still riding it. Thank god I bought mine new, I would hate to end up with this guys bike. WOW! The oil filter is probably completely plugged and the oil has nothing helpful left in it. Just wow...

Service service service, you are trusting your life on something on 2 wheels, when that motor locks up at 80+mph you wont be able to grab that clutch fast enough! Keep up on those tires-chain-motor-etc. If you don't know what you are doing take it someone that does! It's your life at stake!

post #19 of 20 Old 09-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
The mirror is a great idea! Hadn't thought of it. Thanks!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #20 of 20 Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

tc

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I took out the oil, there definitely was too much of it and refilled it to the mark and the light hasn't come on for 1000 miles and more
$3 for a stinkin filter is probally too much to hope for though

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode