oil leak right side - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 10-25-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

oil leak right side

I rode my 02 919 to my daughters home this evening to put the bike away for the season. When I got there I put my right foot down and it slipped. I looked down and saw that the shoe was sprayed by oil. Nothing on left foot. Got off bike in failing light and saw the side of the engine up to the tank had very faint oil smear. There was no oil under the bike when I left an hour later. The ride to daughters was about 40 miles in 40 degree temps on damp roads.
Have been wearing these boots on every ride and have never had any oil spilt on them.
Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. I would like to fix this and not worry about it all winter. Just bought this bike about 6-8 weeks ago.
Thanks a lot
Jackrash

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Left of Centre

Just keeping it simple - is the oil filler cap screwed in nice and tight?

post #3 of 8 Old 10-25-2015, 09:08 PM
just send it.

Garage
Pictures? I wonder if you rode through some 'gunk' and it splashed up on the side of your bike. Otherwise, check the filler cap and oil filter as previously mentioned.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks for the help. I'll look at it this weekend

post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Do any work on the valves or head? Sometimes it takes a bit of sealant on those rubber half-moons to keep it oil-tight.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 8 Old 10-28-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

As far as I know from the previous owner nothing has been done to the engine. However, I'm not real sure the guy was honest with me. He told me he had the oil changed a month or so before selling the bike and when I changed the oil a few days after it looked like it had not been changed in years, maybe just added to. Filler cap and filter are tight.
He also told me that he put new tires on the bike which he did not. I called him on this and he further lowered the price.

Will relook at the thing this weekend. It was close to dark when I dropped it off.
Again, thank's for the help
Jack

post #7 of 8 Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Bringing this back up since it is spring and I finally got the bike out of barn storage. Problem was the stator. The seal where the wires come out and run up in a black casing was cracked and someone tried to patch the seal unsuccessfully Oil was running up the inside of the casing and seeping/spraying out the top of the black wire casing. Looked all over the forums and have not found anyone who has had this issue.
Just thought I'd share this in case anyone else finds themselves wondering where the hell all the oil came from all of a sudden.

Jack

post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Batman

You know what, you get kudos points for following up and reporting back. I dont know how many threads i started reading about misc. crap with problems only to never hear the solution! Its like the internet void where the cat videos swallow people ability to either solve stuff, or post their solution.

So, amen sir. This problem is void free now!

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode