Ohilis VS. Penske Rear Shock - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 12-24-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Ohilis VS. Penske Rear Shock

Hey Guys I am trying to figure out the differences/ advantages and disadvantages (if any) between the two shocks.

Ohilins S46HR1C1S

VS.

Penske 8970 / 8987.

I ride everything:
the track which is what inspired this upgrade (I plan on doing allot of that this summer!!!!!)
commute about 60 from LI to NYC. some what regularly
Trips with some luggage about 2-3 a yr.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Optio

I highly recomend the penske triple adjustable. Beingg able to back off the high speed comp damping makes a world of difference on a bumby track or typical comuter road.

The plus to the Ohlins is that no tools are needed to make damping changes. One can turn the dials by hand. I'd imagine they have a triple adjustable shock available too. Looks like the one you speced out also has a remote preload adjuster. I think you'll get good use out of that.

I'd go with the Ohlins knowing what you have planned. The less tools needed to make quick changes the better. Important on an all rounder motorcycle. On the penske one needs a 1/2 wrench to adjust the low speed compretion. High speed comp can be done by hand, as well as the rebound. Preload adj is a bit fo a paine. Though i'd imagine one could get a remote adjuster, I just never looked for one.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #3 of 38 Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

p.s Dont know if it matters Im 6' 235lb and did the front end with
37.0x34.5x315mm .95kg/mm race tech springs and gold vales.

post #4 of 38 Old 12-24-2012, 02:47 PM
McTavish

If you truly want a highly track worthy shock that is still very streetable, go 3 way with adjustable length, and digressive compression face on the piston. I think the only way you can get that without spending megabucks is with a Penske. Springing will likely be in the 1200#/inch zone.

post #5 of 38 Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post

The plus to the Ohlins is that no tools are needed to make damping changes. One can turn the dials by hand.

I'd go with the Ohlins knowing what you have planned. The less tools needed to make quick changes the better. Important on an all rounder motorcycle.
This. I have not heard of any remote preload adjuster for the Penske, it sounds like this would be a big plus for you, I use mine all the time depending on how I feel like riding and how much weight I have in the luggage.

post #6 of 38 Old 12-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Rich

@Tsmith,

I have about the same riding mix that you described, and am about the same weight.

I have 1.0 racetech springs on the front (06 adjustable forks) and an ohlins on the rear with ultra-lows and sato rearsets to adjust the riding position.

While I don't have any experience with the penske, the ohlins work great in this combination.

post #7 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
This. I have not heard of any remote preload adjuster for the Penske, it sounds like this would be a big plus for you, I use mine all the time depending on how I feel like riding and how much weight I have in the luggage.

Which Shock do you have?

post #8 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Any suggestions on where to purchas either of these shocks?

post #9 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

LordDuckHunter (WT member) is the go-to guy for your Ohlins. He's with Dan Kyle Racing and probably has the best price.

Not sure where people are getting their Penske setups.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #10 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

^^ his username is LDH, just send him a Private Message.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I've got Ohlins HO201's on the shelf ready to go. If you honestly need more performance than they offer you then you also need a different bike...

post #12 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsmith View Post
Which Shock do you have?
Ohlins HO201, I wouldn't trade it for anything. LDH has the best price I,ve seen.

post #13 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Ohlins HO201, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

What about Jordana Brewster?

post #14 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Here you go

2007 Yamaha VStar Classic
2005 Suzuki SV650 - traded
2003 Honda 919 - traded
2008 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Sold
2008 Aprilia RSV1000R Track Only
2007 Honda CBR600RR - sold
2005 Honda CBR600F4i
post #15 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Does she have preload adjustment and an external reservoir?

post #16 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Does she have preload adjustment and an external reservoir?
No, but she is coiled up perfectly to fit your shaft and requires very little maintenance other than an occasional wash.

post #17 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
No, but she is coiled up perfectly to fit your shaft and requires very little maintenance other than an occasional wash.
Sold

post #18 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
What's the compression rate? 1200#/inch?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #19 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Answers:

Post 13, if I can keep her for a few years, yes.
Post 14, HOT!
Post 15, only the reservoir is required.
Post 16, perfect!
Post 17, +1!
Post 18, who cares...

post #20 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM
McTavish

Smile

Quote:
I've got Ohlins HO201's on the shelf ready to go. If you honestly need more performance than they offer you then you also need a different bike...
Hah!
That coming from the guy known to have regularly yo-yo'd the swing arm on his bone stock 02 without ever slowing down, and likely while also grinding off half the brake lever and no doubt waving with one hand at the same time. You come from an extremely small percentage group.

post #21 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Hah!
That coming from the guy known to have regularly yo-yo'd the swing arm on his bone stock 02 without ever slowing down, and likely while also grinding off half the brake lever and no doubt waving with one hand at the same time. You come from an extremely small percentage group.

LOL well it is no secret I that in spite of my pro-suspension stance I never actually bothered to upgrade my 919 in that manner. Part of the fun of 919 ownership for me was the basic fact that the bike was so very BASIC! I just wanted a bike that was pure fun, that didn't require a lot of time, money or expense to make me smile and the 919 always delivered that. I enjoyed pushing the bike to its limits and reeling it back in, but I only did that when it was feasible and opportunistic. If I had to do that every turn of every road or lap I was on I would have definitely upgraded the suspension on the 919 just as I have done to every other bike I own or have owned since.

The 919 definitely benefits from quality suspension mods in regards to compliance, traction and even outright handling, but it will never handle like a proper sportbike does...

post #22 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 PM
McTavish

Quote:
LOL well it is no secret I that in spite of my pro-suspension stance I never actually bothered to upgrade my 919 in that manner. Part of the fun of 919 ownership for me was the basic fact that the bike was so very BASIC! I just wanted a bike that was pure fun, that didn't require a lot of time, money or expense to make me smile and the 919 always delivered that. I enjoyed pushing the bike to its limits and reeling it back in, but I only did that when it was feasible and opportunistic. If I had to do that every turn of every road or lap I was on I would have definitely upgraded the suspension on the 919 just as I have done to every other bike I own or have owned since.

The 919 definitely benefits from quality suspension mods in regards to compliance, traction and even outright handling, but it will never handle like a proper sportbike does...

Re your comments: "but it will never handle like a proper sportbike does."

Less than no question on that point.
It's like comparing a rapier to a claymore (claidheamhmor). Both are fighting swords but worlds apart.

post #23 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 PM
McTavish

Be your first track experience be a school or a track day, consider the following.

FIRST
Get yourself a copy of Keith Code's Twist of The Wrist 2 DVD, and the book with the very same title. The DVD is excellent. The book is too, but a bit tedious at times, however the book reinforces and expands upon the DVD and is filled with excellent info and you'll be missing out if you don't get the book too. You can not watch/read them too many times. (Code’s manner of presentation in his books is totally different from anything else you will find. It is not the easiest reading, but is always loaded with really good and authoritative content.)
Most will benefit from
1 watch DVD
2 read book
3 watch DVD again on a stop and go basis to allow note making.
4 good reinforcement would be watch DVD again, referring to notes, and adding new ones.

I have all of the Keith Code (California Superbike School) Twist of The Wrist Books, and none of them are what I would call suspension referral text worth looking at from that point of view alone. The Twist of the Wrist II DVD has a sort of suspension section but it is very very weak. Keith’s work is very good on the overall and riding, but forget it on suspension, and note that he does not pretend that his books are suspension guides. They are riding guides, as is the latest DVD.

One last thing.
Keith Code is as much a disciple of Throttle Position as he is Body Position.
Everyone harps about Body Position, but I'm not aware of any others that "headline", train, and reinforce, Throttle Position. When you learn how critical Throttle Position is to having the best technique, you'll wonder why you don't hear so much about it from others.

SECOND
Try to get yourself a copy of Roadracing World's Track Day Directory. They do one a year. You may be able to access online. I keep them all, as each year has something new in it. Lots of great tips and excellent content.

post #24 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM
McTavish

Unintended thread jack.
Seeing as I stumbled into the reading thing again.
Some Motorcycle reference reading suggestions based on my library.

If one wants minimal books, and has fuel injected bike, a good all rounder is Total Control by Lee Parks.

If one wants primary emphasis on suspension and chassis, then Sportbike Suspension Tuning by Andrew Trevitt is good, noting the high quality picture content of the expansive how to.

If one wants more in depth suspension and chassis knowledge, the Suspension for Mortals by Traxxion Dynamics is the way to go. Be sure to get the cheap ancient booklet and not just the current day DVD (2 disc set).

A further supplement to this would be Catalyst Reaction DVDs by Dave Moss, but not instead of. (Dave Moss is the ONLY one that deals with reading tires, and one can get free download info from his website. He does good stuff, but I would not suggest starting with it, and instead, moving into it as further development of one's tuning capability.)

If one has carbs, and/or wants high level presentation of bike tech in general, then Sportbike Performance Handbook 2nd Edition by Kevin Cameron is THE one in my mind.

For road and track riding get yourself a copy of Keith Code's Twist of The Wrist 2 DVD, and the book with the very same title. The DVD is excellent. The book is too, but a bit tedious at times, however the book reinforces and expands upon the DVD and is filled with excellent info and you'll be missing out if you don't get the book too. You can not watch/read them too many times. (Code’s manner of presentation in his books is totally different from anything else you will find. It is not the easiest reading, but is always loaded with really good and authoritative content.) I have all of the Keith Code (California Superbike School) Twist of The Wrist Books, and none of them are what I would call suspension referral text worth looking at from that point of view alone. The Twist of the Wrist II DVD has a sort of suspension section but it is very very weak. Keith’s work is very good on the overall and riding, but forget it on suspension, and note that he does not pretend that his books are suspension guides. They are riding guides, as is the latest DVD.

As for pure track technique, especially if one ends up being a trackaholic or racer of any level, are the two books by Ed Bargy of Ed Bargy Racing Schools. Prime is "Introduction to Motorcycle Road Racing"(where kiss the mirror gets indirectly challenged by the laws of physics presented). Supplemental is "The Complete Anthology of Motorcycle Road Racing Lines".

Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch is a very good book, but it is a riding book and not at all a setup book.

Tony Foale's Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design is a text book and few will appreciate it. BUT new ones of the right issue do have the CD that also has chassis analysis software on it. (that I still have not looked at yet !)

Touring919 suggested Vittore Cossalter’s Motocycle Dynamics to me. I got a copy of the 2nd Edition. This is as serious a text book as is Tony Foale’s. Very few will appreciate it, let alone read it, but if you want more definitive high level engineering and science, get this one also.

post #25 of 38 Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpolunin View Post
Here you go

She doesn't look old enough to be licensed for riding.
Real cutie though, that's for sure.

post #26 of 38 Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Oh Jordana Brewster. Ever since Fast&Furious back in high school. Whata fox!

She's got to be in her late 20s to early 30s now.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #27 of 38 Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Quote:

I get the 919 will never handle like a sport bike.
Im looking to improve the characteristics you mentioned for the 919.

Which is whyI am in the quandary between the proven quality and performance of the Ohilins VS. the extra options/ adjustments and the good things Ive heard on the sight about the Penske.
They are both attractive shocks I just dont know?????

post #28 of 38 Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

mcromo44
The Thread Jack I dont know about that allot of good relevant suspension info there. Thank You
Ordered the stuff from Traxxion Dynamics and Andrew.
Also I am working my way thru the info you sent.

H

post #29 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Imaginifer

Didn't know where else to post this. But since this is Ohilis thread, this is perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 541854_4913336548370_1802667131_n.jpg (25.0 KB, 63 views)

2003 Honda 919 - traded
2005 Honda CBR600F4i
post #30 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpolunin
Didn't know where else to post this. But since this is Ohilis thread, this is perfect.
Nice. Is that real?

post #31 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Nice. Is that real?
Yes

post #32 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Nice. Is that real?
Yeap, as real as they come... And I think it's adjustable

2003 Honda 919 - traded
2005 Honda CBR600F4i
post #33 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpolunin

Yeap, as real as they come... And I think it's adjustable
Very innovative. I like it.

post #34 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Pierre-Marc

Nice! I like it.

post #35 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Tesserarius

Nice work there. Did someone at least send him a free shock or something for the advert?

post #36 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Princeps Prior

Now I see its a tattoo not a prostectic lol

post #37 of 38 Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM
McTavish

Reading and DVD Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Unintended thread jack.
Seeing as I stumbled into the reading thing again.
Some Motorcycle reference reading suggestions based on my library.

If one wants minimal books, and has fuel injected bike, a good all rounder is Total Control by Lee Parks.

If one wants primary emphasis on suspension and chassis, then Sportbike Suspension Tuning by Andrew Trevitt is good, noting the high quality picture content of the expansive how to.

If one wants more in depth suspension and chassis knowledge, the Suspension for Mortals by Traxxion Dynamics is the way to go. Be sure to get the cheap ancient booklet and not just the current day DVD (2 disc set).

A further supplement to this would be Catalyst Reaction DVDs by Dave Moss, but not instead of. (Dave Moss is the ONLY one that deals with reading tires, and one can get free download info from his website. He does good stuff, but I would not suggest starting with it, and instead, moving into it as further development of one's tuning capability.)

If one has carbs, and/or wants high level presentation of bike tech in general, then Sportbike Performance Handbook 2nd Edition by Kevin Cameron is THE one in my mind.

For road and track riding get yourself a copy of Keith Code's Twist of The Wrist 2 DVD, and the book with the very same title. The DVD is excellent. The book is too, but a bit tedious at times, however the book reinforces and expands upon the DVD and is filled with excellent info and you'll be missing out if you don't get the book too. You can not watch/read them too many times. (Codeís manner of presentation in his books is totally different from anything else you will find. It is not the easiest reading, but is always loaded with really good and authoritative content.) I have all of the Keith Code (California Superbike School) Twist of The Wrist Books, and none of them are what I would call suspension referral text worth looking at from that point of view alone. The Twist of the Wrist II DVD has a sort of suspension section but it is very very weak. Keithís work is very good on the overall and riding, but forget it on suspension, and note that he does not pretend that his books are suspension guides. They are riding guides, as is the latest DVD.

As for pure track technique, especially if one ends up being a trackaholic or racer of any level, are the two books by Ed Bargy of Ed Bargy Racing Schools. Prime is "Introduction to Motorcycle Road Racing"(where kiss the mirror gets indirectly challenged by the laws of physics presented). Supplemental is "The Complete Anthology of Motorcycle Road Racing Lines".

Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch is a very good book, but it is a riding book and not at all a setup book.

Tony Foale's Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design is a text book and few will appreciate it. BUT new ones of the right issue do have the CD that also has chassis analysis software on it. (that I still have not looked at yet !)

Touring919 suggested Vittore Cossalterís Motocycle Dynamics to me. I got a copy of the 2nd Edition. This is as serious a text book as is Tony Foaleís. Very few will appreciate it, let alone read it, but if you want more definitive high level engineering and science, get this one also.
I got nudged to revisit this in terms of the Catalyst Reaction DVDs. Shall we say suitably nudged to look again and more closely this time. So between that, and my wife being away for a spell, I decided to watch them in full, in one sitting. I am changing my tune a bit.
Twiddling Nobs is simply not worth paying for, in my opinion that is. Introduction to Sportbike Suspension is much better. It's not technically strong, but if you are looking for entry to low intermediate content and want to hear it and see it but not read it, then it's not bad. Again, C R's David Moss is the only one I have found so far that issues marketplace available tire reading info, and in the "Intro to .." DVDs he presents it. You can get a free download of pictures and text from his website, but not the video content.

If you want the best DVD format info on suspension and chassis, THE one to get is still the Traxxion production, and be sure to also get the separate extra price booklet.

post #38 of 38 Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
just send it.

Garage
Just watched the promo for the 'Introduction to Sport bike Suspension' and it looked interesting. I've been looking into expanding my knowledge on suspension so I can set up my bike properly.... Might have to find someone I can borrow the DVD set from...

[This space for rent]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode