No running, brake, or turn signals - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

No running, brake, or turn signals

Hi, I'm using a CustomLED board that is spliced into the stock harness. After the track day yesterday, I have no running lights, brake lights, or turn signals on the custom led board. Turn signals still works on the front and on the rear (rizomas). If I insert a standard bulb into the stock plug, I get a working brake light but no running lights.

I've checked fuses (they looked ok) and the wiring. I Can't find any telltale signs of potential issues. Anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped. I figure its related to the fact that the stock bulb doesn't have a running light. I am running the customled flasher relay as well.

As it is, the bike will have to sit in the garage for now while I head back down to Monmouth with the jeep. I'll have to try to troubleshoot it after Wednesday night when I get back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Sounds like an issue with the CLED pcb only, I'd take it out and look for broken wires/bad solder joints.

post #3 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Sounds like an issue with the CLED pcb only, I'd take it out and look for broken wires/bad solder joints.
Yeah I've done that. Didn't see anything, but it was a quick look over. Still doesn't explain the fact that I have no running light with the stock bulb. I'm pretty sure its related to that?

post #4 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Yeah I've done that. Didn't see anything, but it was a quick look over. Still doesn't explain the fact that I have no running light with the stock bulb. I'm pretty sure its related to that?
Probably, IIRC I tested my CLED unit and it needed power on the running light lead to work any inputs. You might have a damaged wire somewhere(like you didn't know that already...LOL).

post #5 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Probably, IIRC I tested my CLED unit and it needed power on the running light lead to work any inputs. You might have a damaged wire somewhere(like you didn't know that already...LOL).
ooooo That's right! I totally forgot about that. Thank you rmb. I'll have to look into that when I get back to it after Wednesday.

post #6 of 11 Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Princeps Prior

How did you attach the CLED board to the stock wires? turn the bike off. where ever you made a splice, crimp, soldered connection, grab a multimeter then attach one test lead to the spice, the other to a good source to ground. If you have no direct shorts, then do the following

grab an alligator lead and attach one end right to the running light + spice (or unsplice them if you do not have a multimeter) then the other side goes to the battery. See if it lights up.

if that does not work, also try putting another alligator lead on the ground splice (no not un-splice) to a good/different source to ground

post #7 of 11 Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 AM
McTavish

We have soon good electrical help on this site.
I hope I never need it, but if I do, I'll be comin' a knockin'

post #8 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Welp, figured out what the problem was: blue wire broke at the soldered connection to the circuit board. Now I just gotta figure out how to remove the circuit board from the light housing since its super glued into place (as instructed). Any ideas? I can't get access to the wire in order to strip it and resolder it to the circuit board as it is due to my fat fingers and small space.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 05:17 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

I thought they told you to use hot glue? Super glue will keep you busy for a while... Try an exacto knife and keep cutting the glue with the tip of the blade, you'll get it eventually. Just be careful, don't cut any traces on the pcb...

post #10 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Try nail polish remover, not sure how you're going to sneak it in there though.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Milites Gregarius

You could try a wood burner or soldering iron around the super glued spots, just use a light touch. Super glue actually melts the plastic components together a bit so the pinpoint heating tip "should " let you soften it up enough to get it out. If not use an exacto knife after softening it up to part it. This way it'll be a clean breakaway so you can get it back in place afterwards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode