no hand cruising, it wants to turn left? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Batman

no hand cruising, it wants to turn left?

Ok, so for the sake of not tearing down my front end to check alignment, if you guys let go of the bars and engine brake down the highway/lane, does your 919 exhibit a pull to either the left or right on its own?

I feel like I'm leaning over to right to make it go straight...and it happens on all roads...not related to crown otherwise is be leaning left...right?

Checked my rear and alignment is spot on from my caliper measurement from center to center.

And if not, what are the steps to a front wheel/fork alignment?

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 AM
The Cripple

for sure do a front wheel alignment.

other than that, think about your body positioning. if you're putting more weight onto one side of your body (your butt, or your foot/footpeg) the bike will start to pull to that side. i find the 919 to be VERY neutral in steering when i take both hands off, and love it! not to mention stable.

post #3 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 AM
TEXAN

FWIW, I can ride my 919 no-handed for as long as it will coast, and it goes arrow-straight unless I want to move around in the lane with some body movement. It reminds me of riding no-handed on my old (1980's) Schwinn mountain bike.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Batman

Ugh. Thought so. I found a post from artic on how to see if your forks are aligned. It looks intense but maybe this fall ill take things apart.

post #5 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
Ugh. Thought so. I found a post from artic on how to see if your forks are aligned. It looks intense but maybe this fall ill take things apart.
no. STOP. remember KISS principle....

MANY people dont realize how much they affect the steering of the bike by how their body is positioned. no joke. you must play with your positioning to ensure that you're not pushing too much weight to one side when you take your hands off the bars. be it via your butt or your foot. it could go as far as to what you think is straight, really isn't so straight after all. play with the balance point, test your body positioning with your butt/foot. you'd be very surprised.

post #6 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Left of Centre

You might also do a quick measurement from the swing arm pivot covers to the centre point on the rear axle (compare both sides) to make sure your rear wheel is aligned and true.

post #7 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster

no. STOP. remember KISS principle....

MANY people dont realize how much they affect the steering of the bike by how their body is positioned. no joke. you must play with your positioning to ensure that you're not pushing too much weight to one side when you take your hands off the bars. be it via your butt or your foot. it could go as far as to what you think is straight, really isn't so straight after all. play with the balance point, test your body positioning with your butt/foot. you'd be very surprised.
I totally agree, but I have to lean pretty hard to get it to straighten out. I try to be pretty aware and notice my body weight can affect it but I think something might be misaligned from my bout with a mud patch last year...thought everything looked ok but just recently have been focusing on my body control of the bike rather than just handlebar control and noticed the pull.

I'll check things over and report vackm I think mike posted a good walk-through on checking your front alignment.

post #8 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
The Cripple

awesome, report back and let us know what you find out.

oh 1 more thing, depending on the crest of the road, its possible the road might be forcing the bike to one side. some counties crest/peak their roads for efficent water shedding and other counties don't. have you noticed if this is a factor? i dont know if your area crests/peaks their road. another term i've heard use is "crowning". its very common here in the northwest.

post #9 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Le So Cal Troll

like stated the 919 is pretty neutral... even with the pointy power 2ct's i can lock the throttle and go down the pch without touching the bars from magu rock to decker canyon.

As far as fork alignment unless you have it something or dropped it i doubt its out... but its as simple as getting the weight off the front undoing the top tripple bolts and giving it all a lil jiggle.

post #10 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Milites Gregarius

My 06 919 has the same issue. Whenever I take my hands off the steering I have to lean quite a lot to the right to keep it straight. My previous bikes never had that problem. I think my riding posture is fairly well centered so I'm not sure what would be causing that "left drift tendency"

post #11 of 23 Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Tirone

Same issue here. Take the hands off and it tracks to the left. Have to lean a fair bit to the right to correct it. and I ride road bike a lot (the pedaling type) and kan sit up on my road bike no problems.

post #12 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 01:41 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I have one of those cruise lock deals, set the throttle and she goes straight hands off as long as the road doesn't shift.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #13 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
There are few variables... You could be leaning one way without noticing... Wheel may need alignment or the tyre could be deformed...

Lean on the tank as if you are going to try top speed and try it like that. My bike does straight lines which I am very proud of...

post #14 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
awesome, report back and let us know what you find out.

oh 1 more thing, depending on the crest of the road, its possible the road might be forcing the bike to one side. some counties crest/peak their roads for efficent water shedding and other counties don't. have you noticed if this is a factor? i dont know if your area crests/peaks their road. another term i've heard use is "crowning". its very common here in the northwest.
Along those same lines, the crest in the road makes your tires wear more on the left side, so this could also account for making it lean more one way. How old are your tires?

post #15 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 07:48 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post

As far as fork alignment unless you have it something or dropped it i doubt its out... but its as simple as getting the weight off the front undoing the top tripple bolts and giving it all a lil jiggle.
If you are seriously chasing a suspected chassis gremlin, then Fork Aligning is a waste of time unless the wheel is OFF, the steering head has been checked out, and the fork tubes checked for straightness.

post #16 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Hastatus Prior

I triedthis today, and mine does the same thing. As soon as I let go the bike goes left and I have to adjust my weight pretty hard to straighten it out. It seems to be worse right after letting go of the throttle as the engine braking occurs though.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #17 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Along those same lines, the crest in the road makes your tires wear more on the left side, so this could also account for making it lean more one way. How old are your tires?
It's not really the crowning or crest of the road that causes left side tire wear, it's because of the side of the road we ride on and the fact that we can take left hand corners at 2-3 x's the speed of right handers in stop and go traffic.

That increased friction and wear on those left hand corners is what cause the left side to wear faster, and in this case, possibly induce some automated lean as that side of the tire is worn more (think shorter) so the tire naturally dips into that area, causing the bike to lean.

Just ask our Oz friends down south, who ride on the left side of the road. $20 buckaroos says their right side of the tire wears faster. I wonder if they get auto-lean to the right?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #18 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Does that mean I take my left and right hand turns the same speed? Just wondering because mine don't drift. And if it were true, would dual compound tires make the drifting more pronounced than my single compound Pirelli?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #19 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Does that mean I take my left and right hand turns the same speed? Just wondering because mine don't drift. And if it were true, would dual compound tires make the drifting more pronounced than my single compound Pirelli?
Mine doesn't drift either, and I have PP 2CT's. But that doesn't mean front tires don't cup irregularly due to riding habits or general inconsistencies in the compounds. How many miles do you have on your front tire?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #20 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Around 5500-6000 miles with what seems like 50% left. The rear has a little more than 7000 and a new one is going on this week. Pirelli Angel ST

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #21 of 23 Old 05-24-2012, 03:28 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

I can't take my hands off the bars to find out, damn Suzuki!

:buell:
post #22 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97
I can't take my hands off the bars to find out, damn Suzuki!
Whaaaat? Why can't you?

post #23 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123

Whaaaat? Why can't you?
Well, maybe at 20-30mph I could, but with the wind no way I'm lettin go above that, you know, It's hard to hide behind a number plate sitting straight up, it's even worse with the head winds going to work

:buell:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode