Ninja 250 help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Ninja 250 help

I'm helping out a friend. He let his STOCK 2008 Ninja 250r sit for 3-4 years with only 933 miles on it. YUCK.

So I have the bike now. I have cleaned out the gas tank(brownish gad yuck!), thoroughly cleaned out the carbs including each jet and port, brand new battery. flushed and put in new radiator fluid.

But I can not get the carbs working properly. First, I could not get the bike to idle. So I adjusted the idle mixture screws and was able to get the bike to idle, but the response from idle was HORRIBLE. A LOT of lag.

So it seemed that it was lean. From what I have read, the bike comes somewhat lean. So I put a thin metal washer on the diaphragm needle, and that helped somewhat, but the bike idled around 4k with the adjustment all the way down. So I replaced the washer with a plastic one about 3 times as thick. The throttle response is great, but the bike still idles at 3.5k with the throttle adjustment all the way down.

I'm just starting to get fustrated with it now. All these changes in idle screws, washers/shims on the needle. The bike worked fine before it just sat for so long. I was really hoping just a douching would help it out.

help please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I should add I have checked all the vac lines with started fluid. It is a great way to check for leaks

post #3 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 01:30 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

If I had to guess, I'd bet the carbs aren't clean enough. That's a long time to sit...

post #4 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
If I had to guess, I'd bet the carbs aren't clean enough. That's a long time to sit...
+1. See if you can buy rebuilt carbs on ebay for cheap. For me, that was easier on my old dirt bike.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Ian

Like the others mentioned it's probably still the carbs, I use Mopar Penetrating fluid (from the dodge dealer) to soak and clean all my carb parts. This stuff is a miracle worker, makes gummed up old jets shine like new overnight.

Have you pulled/changed out the spark plugs? Odds are they are fouled from trying to run off that old gas, since he probably tried to start it on that old gas at some point. Also when it is running is it firing on both cylinders? Might be a weak signal from an ignitor pick up.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 PM
The Cripple

The ninja 250 is known for being a temperamental thing with regards to its idle. The important question is, did you ensure the bike was fully warmed up before adjusting the idle? If not, revert it all back to stock and start all over again.

The 250 carbs are simple, but very fickle to anything being gummed up, expecially in the idle/low speed circuit. As others have said, you still have issues in the carbs itself so I would undo any adjustments/changes you made to the carbs, tear them apart (don't have to separate) and clean them very well.

post #7 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

New spark plugs. Cleaned the carbs completely with carb cleaner and a tooth brush. Bike was warmed up completely.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 06:29 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
Cleaned the carbs completely with carb cleaner and a tooth brush.
Strip the carbs of non metal parts and let it soak in some kind of carb cleaner and/or boil them. Make sure you lubricate the needle diaphragm when you reassemble (ATF works great).

post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I want to add, no one has tried to start it since it sat. We douched it first. I donno about soaking/boiling it. The carb is band new clean. 900 miles then a 3 year sleep. Then i cleaned it well. It looks brand new clean

post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 PM
The Cripple

You'd be surprised. There's a lot of really small nooks, crannies, and pathways in a carb that small. 3 years is a very long time with today's fuels. Long enough for fuel to gum up and become hard.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 AM
Aquilifer

one word 'ultrasonic'...... had a 250 Ninja would not idle or run well till I threw the carbs in an ultrasonic. Even bought a set of carbs off ebay and ran the same.

Rich

post #12 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 04:54 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
You'd be surprised. There's a lot of really small nooks, crannies, and pathways in a carb that small. 3 years is a very long time with today's fuels. Long enough for fuel to gum up and become hard.
+1, I had the tinyest piece of crap in the pilot jet on my TW200, I could barely tell the difference when I cleaned it, it would idle on choke but would die as soon as any throttle was given.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I got it now. another cleaning and 1 spacer on the main needle. Response is much better than he remembered. It does idle a tad high at 2k. we said fuck it, good enough lets ride. Runs great now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode