New voltage regulator - '07 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
2007 Honda 919

New voltage regulator - '07 919

Going to be replacing mine soon, DIY. Anyone know where the hell it is? Anyone done it before? The part looks plug and play, was just planning to disconnect the battery and swap it out. Sound about right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
The Cripple

Why does it need to be replaced?

post #3 of 18 Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
2007 Honda 919

Good question.

I installed a headlight modulator on the bike. It stopped blinking all the time, and only does it intermittently, and I haven't been able to really correlate the times when it is not flashing. Sometimes when I pull up behind a car at a traffic light, I can see the reflection of it blinking, other times it is clearly solid. Other times when I rev the engine it stops blinking, but at idle it is blinks. Even other times it is never working for days at a time.

I thought the headlight modulator was faulty, and it had a 12 month warranty and I was only 5 months into it, so I sent it back to be repaired. The company then checked it out and said it passed all tests and works fine. I talked to their manager on the phone and he said it has been their experience that many times when folks send back modulators and they turn out to be fine, that usually it is a problem with a faulty voltage regulator.

The guy further told me that to really diagnose a bad voltage regulator, you need to take it to a shop that has an oscilloscope. He said when regulators start going bad, they can cause pretty high voltage spikes that a multimeter or other diagnostic equipment won't catch, because those show the averages, not real-time metrics. Whereas the 'scope will show everything, even short spikes. OR at least thats what I recall him telling me. I am not an electrician, I have very little electrical experience to draw from so I was planning to take his advice and get it checked out.

Well I went to my Honda dealership and asked, they said they don't have an oscilloscope. Furthermore, the new regulator from the dealership was like $177 or something . I priced them on eBay and can get a used part for $45 shipped.

So my plan was to put in a different voltage regulator then re-install the headlight modulator and hopefully everything works out. I figure for only a $45 part I can see if it is indeed the regulator instead of spending almost that amount on diagnostic work. Plus I don't know of a shop with a 'scope and I really like to do my own repairs because I don't trust a lot of shops.

So that's the whole story. Not 100% sure the voltage regulator is going bad, but for $45 and some time in my garage I am willing to get my knuckles dirty and see if I can swap it out in hopes of getting the headlight modulator to work properly. I really feel like it helps in all my commuting traffic to help me be seen.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 PM
The Cripple

To be honest, I highly doubt its the regulator. It sounds more like a intermittent connection or ground somewhere that keeps making/breaking contact.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
2007 Honda 919

Thats what I thought too, but without the modulator, the headlight works fine -- no issues. And the modulator plugs in-line to the headlight via two sockets, a male and a female. From what I can tell there are no loose connections. They fit tight as a glove and look fine.

post #6 of 18 Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Don't most headlight modulators have a light sensor and only work in day light? Maybe there are things to check out in that area. Is the sensor working and are the connections clean?

Also consider checking charging voltage and battery performance.

Mark

post #7 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 05:02 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
Don't most headlight modulators have a light sensor and only work in day light? Maybe there are things to check out in that area. Is the sensor working and are the connections clean?

Also consider checking charging voltage and battery performance.

Mark
This. Where do you have the light sensor mounted? What brand is the modulator?

post #8 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
2007 Honda 919

I will post pics as soon as I can, but the light sensor has no connections, it's hard wired from the modulator itself, and it tested fine. No bare wires, where the tiny sensor connects to the wire is all sealed from the manufacturing process. I wedge the sensor in the seam below the gauges, it fits perfectly.

The brand is Comagination.

I do not have electrical diagnostic equip, other than a multi meter, which is the exact thing the manager from Comagination told me would be useless in detecting voltage spikes.

So I am going to swap out the regulator and keep my cash outlay at $45.

Anyone know where the voltage regulator is and if its easy to get to?

post #9 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
2007 Honda 919

Let me add that I have owned the bike since August and have never had any other electrical problems. I ride it a couple times a week and it starts up every time. Works perfectly in every other regard.

post #10 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Also, FWIW, I've not heard of a voltage regulator failing on the 919.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Discen

Check if the modulator works when the engine isn't running. With the engine off, the modulator gets the power from the battery only.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post

Anyone know where the voltage regulator is and if its easy to get to?
I believe it's underneath the tail by the rear shock. I'd bet money it's not the problem. I have a niner at home with over 100k miles and mine is still fine. Nobody has ever reported replacing a voltage regulator in these bikes.

Spoiler:

post #13 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
2007 Honda 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by carotman View Post
Check if the modulator works when the engine isn't running. With the engine off, the modulator gets the power from the battery only.
I hadn't thought of this, but its a great diagnostic test. I will try it and see what happens. I hope to be able to mess with this tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I really liked it when the headlight modulator worked and really want to get it working again, even if it costs a few bucks. It just makes me feel better with that thing flashing, it really makes the bike stand out from other traffic.

Good to know that the regulator failing is a rare occurrence on this bike.

rickard919, yours has 100k? That is unbelievable! That makes me feel good because I love the 919 and want to keep it a long time. I really want to get an R6 next year, but I will keep the 919 if I do. Love it.

post #14 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Most modulators are set to work only w/ high beams selected. (so you can shut them off when you select the standard low beams) Check to see if it is set up that way. Then see if it works better in different modes.

Then maybe adjust the light sensitivity. Try the least sensitive to dark...
Lots to play with.

post #15 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
2007 Honda 919

It is set to work with only high beams selected. This cannot be changed.

Cannot be adjusted for light sensitivity. No adjustments at all on the unit. Plug and Play.

post #16 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
It is set to work with only high beams selected. This cannot be changed.

Cannot be adjusted for light sensitivity. No adjustments at all on the unit. Plug and Play.
Sounds like you might want to check your high beam switch. You have a loose connection somewhere.

post #17 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
2007 Honda 919

Well, I just reinstalled the headlight modulator and as of right now everything works as it should. That's a little reassuring, we'll see if it stays working when I take it out for a ride tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone for the comments and suggestions. Will let you know if it acts up again.

post #18 of 18 Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
2007 Honda 919

Honda 919 Comagination headlight modulator troubleshooting - YouTube

Thanks for the help. Think I figured it out. The modulator is actually faulty, there is a connection problem in the light sensor.

No regulator needed after all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode